Discover concepts and techniques relating to differentiation and how they can be applied to solve real world problems.
|Effort:||3 to 6 hours per week|
This course is part three of the MathTrackX XSeries Program which has been designed to provide you with a solid foundation in mathematical fundamentals and how they can be applied in the real world.
This course will cover basic concepts and techniques relating to differentiation; a fundamental tool of calculus. Derivatives are key to the understanding of rates of change, that is the extent to which a function responds to changes in a dependent variable.
Guided by experts from the School of Mathematics and the Maths Learning Centre at the University of Adelaide, this course will cover concepts and techniques to provide a foundation for the applications of differentiation in STEM related careers and/or further study at the undergraduate level.
Join us as we provide opportunities to develop your skills and confidence in applying mathematics to solve real world problems.
What you'll learn
- How derivatives relate to the slope of a function
- How to calculate the derivative of polynomials and special functions
- Differentiation rules for evaluating the derivative of non-trivial functions
- The concept and application of ‘the second derivative’
- How to use differentiation to solve problems in basic motion, mechanics and optimisation.