Casting call: Could your dog be the star of Legally Blonde?
The University of Adelaide’s production of Legally Blonde: The Musical is coming to the Scott Theatre in September and two furry friends are needed to complete the cast. Does your dog have what it takes to be a star?
“We’re so excited to be opening auditions for these dogs, who will certainly steal the show,” says April Beak, who will be stepping into the fabulous shoes of lead character Elle Woods.
“Omigod you guys! No woman should be denied her dog. But, Bruiser isn’t just a dog – he’s family! And who can forget Paulette’s reunion with her lovable Rufus!”
The dogs will be in great company as Nikki Snelson, who will be directing and choreographing the musical, played Brooke Wyndham in the original Broadway production of Legally Blonde: The Musical in 2007.
But the successful canine will have to be more than just a mutt as there are some important criteria they must meet:
- Bruiser is played by a Chihuahua and Rufus is a Bulldog;
- The bright lights, music and audience can be overwhelming, so the successful dogs must have laid-back, relaxed dispositions;
- The dogs should be very friendly with people, especially people they’ve only just met, and be extremely comfortable with being picked up and carried: Bruiser will be carried in Elle’s handbag frequently throughout the show;
- The dogs should be aware and responsive to commands, such as ‘come’ and ‘sit’. And Bruiser is required to bark on command;
- While previous stage experience isn’t a requirement, it is ideal; and
- The dogs’ owners must be able to look after their dogs backstage throughout all rehearsals and performances outlined below.
All canine applicants and their human carers must be available for:
- Auditions that will take place on 21 August at the University’s North Terrace Campus
- Daytime rehearsals between 1 and 16 September at North Terrace Campus (schedule to be negotiated)
- Rehearsals in the Scott Theatre from 20 September (schedule to be confirmed)
- Afternoon and evening performances from 29 September to 2 October.
The two successful hounds will receive free tickets for family and friends, a professional photoshoot, and the actor who plays Bruiser will be gifted their costumes.
If your pooch fits the criteria, bend and snap, and book your audition today at LegallyBlondeDogAuditions.eventbrite.com. If you have questions or need more information, contact Peter Johns, contact details below.
Performances will take place from September 29 – October 2, including both day and night performances. Buy tickets online.
Peter Johns, Production Manager, Elder Conservatorium Music Theatre, The University of Adelaide.
Mobile: +61(0)408 286 894. Email: email@example.com
Eleanor Danenberg, Media & Communications Assistant, The University of Adelaide.
Mobile: +61 (0)427 346 981. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org