Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Exam scheduling

Where can I find the exam timetable?

What happens if my exams clash?

Once the timetable is released and you notice you have two or more exams at the same time, complete an assessment task extension or replacement examination due to extenuating circumstances application form and lodge it no later than three (3) business days after the official examination timetable is posted at either Ask Adelaide, Level 3 Hub Central or via email with the Examinations Office (

The exams office will contact you via email with your change of exam times and venues.

When will the timetable be released?

5 weeks prior to official start date of exam period.

When are results due to be released?

Results will be released as lecturers have marked exam papers. All results should be released by 10 days after the last day of the official exam period.

At the examination

Can I make notes during my reading time?

During the official 10 minute reading time you may make notes on the scribble paper provided, but you must not write on the answer book or on the question paper if it makes up a part of your exam.

Can I use my mobile phone to check the time?

No. Mobile phones must be switched off and stored in your bag, not in your pockets. If you are found to have a phone on you, your supervisor will confiscate it until the end of the exam. Clocks will be placed around the venue to assist you with monitoring your time.

Can I use my dictionary or notes?

Not unless these items are authorised by your lecturer. Being in possession of unauthorised material during an examination constitutes a breach of the University's academic honesty policy and will be dealt with according to the relevant principles outlined therein.

What can I bring into my exam?

What if I forget my student ID?

All students are required to place current photo ID on the top right corner of their desk - this can be your student ID, driver's licence or passport. If you are unable to present any form of current photo ID, your photograph will be taken and compared with your photo on the University student system.

What if I have to use the toilet?

Remain seated and raise your hand. A supervisor will issue you a toilet pass to place around your neck. Limited number of students may use the facilities at any one time; toilet monitors will be in place to supervise students whilst outside of the exam venue.

What happens if I fall ill during the exam?

Raise your hand and a supervisor will assist you from the venue. If unable to continue, you are required to visit your doctor and apply for replacement/additional assessment through your school.

English is not my first language. Can I have extra time?

Extra time will not be granted where English is a second language (ESL). A student with a language disability (for example, dyslexia) may apply for alternative examination arrangements.

How do I make a comment or suggestion about the examinations?

The University appreciates constructive feedback. You can email your comments directly to

What happens if I cannot make it to my exam?

The University advises all students to make themselves available for the duration of all official examination periods.
Should you fall ill on the day of your exam you are required to visit your doctor and apply for replacement/additional assessment through your school.

What happens at the Wayville exam venue?

  • Refer to the Wayville seating plan. There are approximately 2,500 students sitting exams in each session. Allocated Seating - refer signs on outside wall for specific seat.
  • An announcement 10 minutes prior to the start of the exams to enter venue. Listen carefully to the instructions. Any unauthorised materials can be surrendered at the entrance.
  • Move quickly and quietly to your allocated seat within the block for your exam.
  • Authorised materials must be placed on the desk and any bags must be placed on the floor under your seat. One clear bottle of water up to one litre in size.
  • Check the front page of the exam paper to confirm that it is the correct paper. Do not read the exam paper.
  • If you wish to speak to a supervisor, remain seated and raise your hand.
  • Complete the attendance slip on one answer book, tear off and place with photo ID on the top right-hand corner of your desk.
  • Complete the rest of the details on the cover of the answer books. Do not complete more than one attendance slip.
  • During the course of the exam, supervisors will check photo ID and other authorised materials.
  • Listen to all announcements from the Chief Supervisor.
  • Your examiner may be present during reading time. Raise your hand if you have any questions about the instructions or requirements for the exam.
  • If your supervisor is unable to get clarification for a question, state your assumption in your answer book and answer accordingly.
  • If you finish your exam early, raise your hand. The supervisor will collect your exam materials and may permit you to leave.
  • No students will be permitted to leave before the first 40 minutes or during the last 10 minutes of their exam. You must remain seated for the duration.
  • Please leave the venue quietly, as other students may still be completing their exam. No talking until you are outside of the venue.
  • In the event of an emergency at the venue (fire, electrical faults, etc.) remain seated. Listen to instructions from the supervisor. If the venue is to be evacuated, leave quickly and quietly, taking all personal belongings with you. Do not remove any examination materials.

Ask Adelaide

Further examination FAQs are available on the Knowledge Base.

Student support services

I am worried about my exams. Where can I get help?

The University offers counselling support for students in relation to issues that are affecting study.

  • Professional counsellors are available to help you resolve difficulties.
  • The service is free and confidential.
  • The Service also provides a telephone counselling service on 8313 5663.

A number of self-help resources are available online, including information about managing exam stress, study tips, sleeping better and time management.

I have a medical condition or disability that may impact my studies. What should I do?

The University provides a range of services to students, this may include adjustments to the standard teaching and/or assessment processes including examinations.

To access these services you need to provide written verification of your disability or medical condition to a disability advisors.

Students with a temporary medical condition, injury or illness may also seek alternative examination arrangements (AEA) by providing written verification of their condition to disability support.

I am an elite athlete with commitments during the exam period. What should I do?

Contact elite athlete support for information about and authorisation for the elite athlete support scheme.

How do I make a complaint?

The University encourages feedback on all aspects of University life. It recognises students' rights to express dissatisfaction or make complaints about services provided by the University, and monitors the nature, progress and outcome of complaints. Complaints, comments and expressions of concern are analysed to identify problems and improve academic and other services.

Positive feedback is also welcome. Please email your comments directly to

Students who wish to consider making a formal complaint should consult the relevant University policies and the student grievance resolution process.

Modified arrangements for exams

Where do I find the application form?

Where do I lodge the application?

Lodge your form at the faculty office of the program you are enrolled in.

When does the application form need to be lodged?

At least 3 business days before the primary exam. The University will normally notify you of the outcome via email within 3 business days of receipt of your application.

If you become ill during your primary exam, you must notify the invigilator and leave the exam before 50% of the duration has passed. The application form must then be taken to a medical practitioner.

Where will these modified arrangements and coursework assessments be held?

  • Exams will be held on campus in Bonython Hall and various other venues on campus.
  • Details to be provided in Access Adelaide or on our current year timetables page.
  • Coursework assessments will be arranged in department.

What happens if I am ill during the Replacement/Additional Assessment period?

You will need to complete the appropriate form and lodge it with your faculty office as per the instructions on the form.

Where, in the opinion of the decision-maker, exceptional medical or compassionate circumstances arise after a student is granted a modified arrangement for assessment, or exceptional extenuating circumstances cause a conflict with the modified arrangement, the student may apply for a further modified arrangement.

Refer to the modified arrangements for coursework assessment policy.