Steps to Apply
See below steps to apply for a study abroad and exchange program.
Step 1: Exchange or study abroad?
Find out if you are an Exchange or Study Abroad student:
Study abroad student
Study abroad students enrol and pay tuition fees for their courses to the University of Adelaide.
Exchange students remain enrolled and continue to pay tuition fees to their home institution. Students do not pay tuition fees to the University of Adelaide.
Step 2: Application process
To be accepted into the Study Abroad and Exchange programs, you must meet specific academic and English language entry requirements.
Check the Study Abroad and Exchange key dates for application deadlines.
- Complete your home institution's exchange student application process.
- Your institution will nominate you to become an exchange student with us.
- Following your nomination, we will send you a link to the online application form.
Study abroad student
- Applying through your home university
- Complete your home institution's study abroad student application process.
- Your institution will nominate you to become a Study Abroad student with us.
- Following your nomination, we will send you the online application form.
- Applying through an international representative or agent
- Contact one of our international representatives or agents.
- They will contact us on your behalf and forward you our online application form.
- Applying directly to the University of Adelaide
- Complete the Study Abroad application form.
Step 3: Choose courses
Select your study period Semester 1 (February to July) Semester 2 (July to December) Full year (February to December) Enhanced Semester (1 Semester + Summer School or Winter School) Summer School (January - February) Winter School (July)
Search and select your courses
Specific course details for all courses available to Study Abroad and Exchange students can be found at choosing a course.
Visit the course planner to plan your timetable and search for course details such as pre-requisites and assumed knowledge.
Choose courses that are offered in your chosen study period.
Unavailable and restricted courses
Study Abroad and Exchange students are not able to study certain courses at The University of Adelaide.
Some courses have restrictions. For more information see unavailable courses.
Step 4: Submit application with supporting documents
Applications need to be submitted online with the supporting documentation listed below. After your application has been assessed the University will inform you if any supporting documentation is missing or incomplete.
All students will be asked to provide the following supporting documents when submitting an application:
- Scanned colour copy of information page of a valid passport
- Scanned colour copy of official academic transcript (including past and current enrolment)
- Evidence of English language competency (where required)
- If you have selected courses from Sciences, Health Sciences, Law, MBA (Management), Music, Languages, Education, Criminology and Media, syllabi/course descriptions of courses completed in these areas at your home university are required.
Semester 1 (February - July): 1 November
Semester 2 (July - December): 1 May
Summer School (January - February): 1 November
Winter School (June/July): 1 May
Step 5: Receive offer of admission
Your application will be assessed after all required documentation has been received. If you are accepted, an offer of admission will be forwarded electronically to you.
In your offer letter you will also find information about Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). The OSHC is a requirement of the Australian government and must cover you for the duration of your student visa.
Step 6: Accept your offer
Once you receive your offer of admission you will need to accept the offer by signing each page and completing required details and sending it to email@example.com.
If applicable, you will also need to make OSHC and tuition fee payments as per the instructions in your offer of admission.
Step 7: Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
Once we have received your acceptance documents and payment (if applicable) we will issue you with an electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE).
Please note Summer and Winter School students do not require a CoE.
Step 8: Apply for an Australian visa
On receipt of your CoE, Study Abroad and Exchange students need to apply through the Department of Home Affairs for a visa to study in Australia. Please note the University has no involvement in visa application processes.