COVID-19 updates for inbound students
In light of the continued uncertainty and risks around travel, the University of Adelaide has made the decision to suspend the inbound study abroad program for the first half of 2022.
A review of student travel for the second half of 2022 will be made in November 2021.
For more information about the University of Adelaide's action on COVID-19, please see the Latest Updates & FAQs.
To gain admission to our Study Abroad program you must:
- be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate program in an overseas institution that does not have an official exchange agreement in place with The University of Adelaide or does not have any exchange places available
- have completed at least one year (or equivalent) of tertiary-level study prior to commencing in your Study Abroad program
- achieve a 2.5/4.0 minimum GPA
- meet the English Language Requirements
- meet any prerequisites shown for the courses you choose. You can find the prerequisites by clicking the title of the course in the course outline listing
Study Abroad students can study undergraduate or postgraduate courses during Summer School, Winter School, Semesters, Trimesters or a combination of these study periods.
For example you might want to study during Semester 2 and Summer School.
Study Abroad students pay tuition fees for their courses to The University of Adelaide, not to their home university.
Study Abroad students incur three main costs; tuition fees, living expenses and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). To see a breakdown of these costs and other costs associated with Study Abroad, visit the fees page of our website.
An official University of Adelaide transcript will be issued to you electronically.
Courses completed may be credited back to your home degree, but it is your responsibility to organise the credit transfer with your home institution.
Steps to apply
Most Study Abroad students apply for a student visa. You must have received your Confirmation of Enrolment from the University of Adelaide before making a student visa application. For any visa enquiries please refer to the Department of Home Affairs or contact your local Australian Embassy.
To fulfil Australian student visa requirements, Study Abroad students must be enrolled in at least 3 courses (9 units) at the University of Adelaide.
The University of Adelaide offers the following internships to Study Abroad students which are taken as part of a student's academic program.
Faculty of Arts
- ARTS 2201 - Industry Internship II (3 units)
- ARTS 3201 - Industry Internship III (3 units)
- ARTS 3202 - Research-based Internship (6 units – equal to half a semester workload)
Faculty of the Professions
- PROF 3505 - Undergraduate Professions Virtual Internship (3 units)
- PROF 3510 - Industry Project (3 units)
- PROF 7505 - Postgraduate Professions Virtual Internship (3 units)
- PROF 7510 - Postgraduate Industry Project (3 units)
Please be aware that there may be special requirements and different deadlines for these courses.
Unfortunately, there are no scholarships currently available to Study Abroad students.