Sir Walter Crocker (1902-2002)
MSS 327 C938p
Series 7: 1940-1946 War Years (and other related material)
7.1 1940-1946 War Years
1. War diaries.
2. Letters and papers covering the war years, 1940-1946 (including letters from Sigurd Rasmussen) 3 parts.
3. Papers, etc. on politics, the press and the capitalist system. c.1939.
4. Chamberlain and appeasement 1938.
5. Churchill and the Churchill cult: cuttings, notes, letters (two from Martin Boyd) and the draft of a paper on Churchill by W.R. Crocker. 4 parts.
6. Nazi atrocities. The Auschwitz trials, 1963-64. The Dehring Case, 1964. (Cuttings)
7.2 Bengal 1945-1946
A description of Bengal, in typescript, labelled Chapt VIII.
"In the Summer of 1945 I was posted to India. Although I was sent out as a soldier and although my service there formed part of my Army service, by the time I had arrived the war was over in the Far East ... I therefore got myself seconded to a military group loaned to the Bengal Government for special famine preventative scheme. My period in India, rather more than a year, was thus in effect separate from my war years" (Introd.)
Note on cover: "on re-reading ... 20 years later I find a good deal of superficiality and ignorance but a picture of part of India".
(n.b. at that particular time. Conversation with M. Burn, 1983.)