Maths builds on several fundamental concepts, which can be quite tricky to understand because there is nothing below them to build on.
These seminars cover some of these fundamental concepts so you can succeed better in courses that have them as prerequisites.
Fractions, decimals, rounding and scientific notion
This seminar discussed representing fractions using decimals, scientific notation and fractions. Rules for rounding, and some rules for working with fractions were discussed too.
- Seminar vIdeo: fractions, decimals, and scientific notation 2015 (YouTube)
- Seminar vIdeo: fractions, decimals, and scientific notation 2015 (Echo360)
- The zoomable number line
- Revision worksheet: scientific natation and rounding
This seminar discussed the rules for working with numbers such as the order of operations, and how to rearrange calculations to make them easier. It also touched briefly on rearranging algebraic expressions involving letters.
- Seminar video: rearranging calculations 2015 (YouTube)
- Seminar video: rearranging calculations 2015 (Echo360)
Rearranging algebraic expressions
This seminar continues from the previous one to discuss working with algebraic expressions with letters in them, including working with fractions and a little on expanding multiplications involving brackets.
- Seminar video: rearranging expressions 2015 (YouTube)
- Seminar video: rearranging expressions 2015 (Echo360)
Rearranging formulas and solving equations
This seminar discussed rearranging formulas involving division and multiplication, as well as solving equations that involve a single unknown.
- Seminar video: rearranging formulas and solving equations 2015 (YouTube)
- Seminar video: rearranging formulas and solving equations 2015 (Echo360)
Working with exponentials and logarithms
This seminar discussed working with logarithms and exponentials, especially with regard to solving equations using them.
- Seminar video: working with exponentials and logarithms 2015 (YouTube)
- Seminar video: working with exponentials and logarithms 2015 (Echo360)
Linear equations and straight line graphs
This seminar discussed graphs of linear equations -- how to draw them, their standard forms and how to find their equations.