SA School of Mines and Industries

The South Australian School of Mines and Industries was established in 1889 in the Exhibition Building on North Terrace, later moving to the Brookman Building on the corner of North Terrace and Frome Road.

The University and the School of Mines maintained some form of reciprocal relationship from the late 1880s but it was not until 1903 that the Council of the University concluded an agreement with the Council of the South Australian School of Mines and Industries under which the two Institutions 'shall combine, to some extent, their teaching powers and their laboratories for the purpose of providing courses of instruction Mining Engineering, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering.' As set out in the University calendars of the era, '[t]he University and the School of Mines, acting in concert, [will] hold examinations and grant Diplomas in various branches of Applied Science.'

With the abolition of the Diploma in Applied Science and establishment in 1937 of the Faculty of Engineering, the two institutions remained affiliated in as far as University Council 'may exempt students who have attended courses of instruction and passed examinations of the South Australian School of Mines and Industries from attendance at lectures, and from examinations, in corresponding subjects for the course for the degree of Bachelor of Engineering.'

1960 saw the merger of the School of Mines and the Adelaide Technical High School to form the South Australian Institute of Technology. The relationship with the University continued with the establishment of a jointly administered Faculty and Degree of Technology.