What is Global IQ Connect?
Global IQ Connect is a 5-week extra-curricular intercultural program, closely linked with the Adelaide Graduate Award. It is open to all students regardless of degree or year.
The program is offered Face-to-Face and Online.
You will have the opportunity to participate in cultural workshops and learn about other cultures from fellow students. Workshops will be run on a weekly basis for all participants and culturally diverse groups of 3-4 students will be created who will catch up each week after a workshop. You will grow your cultural intelligence and develop intercultural communication skills, which can be applied to any workplace or society.
You will also:
- Increase your employability, at home and abroad
- Develop openness, respect and empathy for people from other cultural backgrounds
- Gain the confidence to embrace diversity
- Develop skills to manage unconscious bias
- Gain confidence and feel prepared for your study overseas experience
- Be able to use and further develop the intercultural skills acquired while studying overseas
- Receive a certificate of completion for your resume
For your group catch-ups, you can use any online methods of communication like zoom meetings, facetime, whats app video calls or meet face-to face. It’s your choice.
In addition to discussing the tasks you will be given after each weekly workshop with your group members, some culturally interesting topics you may wish to discuss are:
- The role of sport
- The importance of family
- Celebrations and festivals
- Food in your country (including the way food is eaten)
- Respectful relationship between men and women
- Music and its importance to you
- Political issues
- Language(s) spoken
- The way you express ‘No’ and ‘Yes’
- Typical hand gestures and their meaning
- The relationship between generations
- Social changes
- Popular games played
- Leisure activities
- The importance of ‘time’ in your culture
- Environmental protection
- Education system
- The role of media
- Freedom of speech and the press
- Gender issues
- Importance of animal welfare
- Alcohol and the drinking culture