Winter comfort food
Here’s one of my go-to recipes for an inexpensive, but hearty soup (serves four people in five easy steps) – chicken in clear ginger broth.
Hot soup is comfort food so it’s lovely to have during the cold, wintry nights. Ginger in this dish is really beneficial too. Ginger helps fight inflammation caused by something like a sore throat or at the very least provides some temporary relief.
- 500g chicken cut into serving pieces
- 20g finely sliced onion
- 20g ginger, finely julienned
- 5g crushed garlic
- 10g young chilli leaves, or your leafy green of choice such as bok choy
- 100g your green papaya (optional)
- 8g rock salt
- 5ml extra virgin oil
- 1L water
- Heat the oil on medium heat and sauté the ginger, onion, and garlic.
- Add the chicken to cook for five minutes.
- Add water and salt and bring to boil and then lower the heat and simmer.
- When the chicken is almost tender, add the papaya and cook until tender.
- Add the chilli leaves, cover, and turn off the heat.