There's some additional academic learning and language support available to students enrolled at the University of Adelaide.
Request a seminar
If you would like to learn more about a particular academic skill or assignment type, email us with your request. This will work best if you already know of several students who also wish to learn more about this skill or assignment type.
Waite and Roseworthy students
Faculty, school and course support
- International law students can seek assistance from Cornelia Koch.
- Mechanical Engineering HDR students:
Alison-Jane Hunter offers courses in Preparing for your CCSP, Journal Article Writing, and IELTS prep. She also does editing, provides one to one lessons on English and academic writing, and runs a Shut Up and Write group. Contact Alison-Jane.
Postgraduate research students
Although the main focus of the Writing Centre is on undergraduate students, postgraduate students are welcome to visit the Writing Centre for help.
We can only work with students for 30 minutes at a time during busy periods, so we recommend that you efficiently plan what you want to get out of your session. For example, you could go over an outline of your chapter with a writing mentor, rather than attempting to receive feedback on an entire chapter.
If you're an international postgraduate student, you can access a program called Integrated Bridging Program Research (IBP-R) to help you adjust to the requirements and expectations of your degree.
For those of you taking the LANTITE test, the Writing Centre can support you in the Literacy component of this test. Please visit us to discuss the help you need.
Helpful books and websites to practice and test your grammar and vocabulary:
- Pearson MyLab and Mastering
- Purdue online writing lab
- Trask, R. L. (1997). Penguin guide to punctuation. London, UK
- Ramsay, M. A. (2011). The complete guide to English usage for Australian students (5th ed.). South Melbourne, VIC: Thomson Nelson.
- Cambridge interactive grammar tests
- Cambridge interactive vocabulary tests
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Resources Guide