Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • What documentation will I need to provide to get assistance from Disability Support? Does my documentation need to be in English?

    Please ask your doctor to complete our Verification and Impact Statement (VIS). This provides us with information about the impact of your health condition or disability on your studies, which will enable us to put the right supports in place for you.  

    If you have a diagnosed Learning Disability (e.g. dyslexia, dysgraphia) you will need to provide a copy of your Adult Learning Assessment/ Psychological Assessment instead of a VIS. This assessment will need to be completed from high school age or older, to ensure the recommendations are relevant to your studies at University.

    If you have any other relevant information (e.g. SATAC/Year 12 accommodations or other university Access Plan), please also provide copies of these.

    All documentation will need to be provided in English, or a certified translation provided.

  • Do I need to register with Disability Support if I have already notified SATAC about my disability?

    Yes. SATAC do not pass on any information regarding a student’s disability.
    Please register with Disability Support as soon as you enrol in your courses.

    For more information visit, How to register with Disability Support.

  • Do I need to re-register with Disability Support each semester/ year?

    Your Access Plan and/or AEA form will state the duration for when these documents will be valid.
    If they are valid for one semester, or one year, and you need these provisions again in a subsequent semester, you will not need to re-register online, but you will need to arrange an appointment with your Disability Advisor to update your Access Plan and/or AEA.

    You may also be required to provide updated supporting medical documentation. This will be noted on your Access Plan (near your signature), or please check with your Disability Advisor.

  • What is an Access Plan?

    Your Access Plan is used to document information about the impact of your disability or medical condition on your studies, without disclosing the nature of your condition. It outlines Reasonable Adjustments which you can provide to academic staff each semester to assist in your negotiations.

  • Can I use my Access Plan to apply for a replacement exam?

    No. An Access Plan cannot be used to apply for a Replacement Exam. Students registered with Disability Support must follow the same process as all other students to apply for a Replacement Exam (for both centrally organised exams and in-department exams)- refer to the MACA (Modified Arrangements for Coursework Assessment) policy.

    The Exams Office webpage for Replacement Exams has information regarding the criteria for applying for Replacement Exams, a link to the application form, important information about time frames for applying, and where to send your application. Completed applications for Replacement Exams are not submitted to Disability Support.

    For further information visit, Examinations - Modified Arrangements.

  • What are Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA)?

    Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) may include changes to the environment, duration, or other exam conditions, to enable you to sit your scheduled exam. All AEA need to be organised in advance. AEA do not change the content of your exam paper- you will have the same exam questions as other students. The cut-off date for Disability Support to be able to arrange AEA for students for end of semester exams is 4 weeks prior to the Primary Exam period commencing each semester.

  • Can I request Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) after the cut-off date?

    For ongoing conditions, or previously diagnosed conditions - no. If you have a new temporary injury (e.g. fractured hand), a newly diagnosed condition, or a recent significant exacerbation in your condition please contact Disability Support immediately to discuss your circumstances, and a Disability Advisor will discuss potential options with you.

  • What is the difference between Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) and Replacement Exams?

    Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) are different to Replacement Exams.

    Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) relate to changes to the environment, duration, or other exam conditions, to enable you to sit your scheduled exam. AEA may apply to primary or replacement exams.

    If you have a significant exacerbation of your medical condition and are too unwell to sit your primary exams on the scheduled date (even with AEA in place), you will need to apply for a Replacement Exam. Students are required to be available for both the Primary and Replacement Exam periods each semester.

    Please refer to the Modified Arrangements for Coursework Assessment (MACA) policy for further information. To apply for a replacement exam your treating health practitioner will need to complete the relevant form, and you will need to submit this to your Faculty, not to Disability Support.

    If you already have AEA in place, it is essential that you contact the Exams Office as soon as your replacement exam is approved by the Faculty. Failure to inform the Exams Office may result in your Alternative Exam Arrangements not being organised.

  • I have Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) in place. Where do I sit my exams?

    Access Adelaide will list the location for your end of semester exams. If you have AEA in place, any exams with the location listed at ‘Wayville’, will automatically be re-located to the Lower Napier building, North Terrace campus. Students who are approved to ‘use a computer’ may be re-directed to Ingkarni Wardli, so please arrive early.

    Do not attend Wayville if you have AEA in place as you will not be expected, and there may not be a place for you to sit your exam.

    If your exam timetable states a location other than Wayville, the exam is an in-department exam and is organised by the School. Please contact your Course Coordinator to request your AEA for this exam at least 2 weeks in advance, and find out the location of your exam.

  • How do I organise Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) for my mid-semester test/exam?

    Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) for centrally organised exams are organised by the Exams Office. In-department exams are organised by your Course Coordinator/ School.

    If you require AEA for any in-department tests/exams, you must contact your Course Coordinator and provide them with a copy of your Access Plan at least 2 weeks before each in-department test/exam, and specifically ask them to arrange your AEA. Failure to do so may result in your arrangements not being made.

    AEA for any non-written tests/exams will need to be discussed with each Course Coordinator at the start of each semester to determine if AEA will be possible.
    Your in-department tests/exams are held at the same time and date as scheduled. Your Course Coordinator will notify you if there needs to be any change to the date, time or location in order to accommodate your AEA.

  • I have mobility difficulties. Who can I speak to about access around campus?

    If your disability or medical condition impacts on your ability to move around campus, the following campuses and maps page may assist you in planning how to get to your classrooms/teaching areas and other areas you may need throughout the day. It includes the location of lifts, ramps/accessible paths, accessible toilets and accessible parking spaces.

    If your mobility is significantly affected by your disability or medical condition, we recommend that you register with Disability Support as soon as possible so that your Disability Advisor can discuss any access issues with you, and work out suitable solutions. This is an old campus, and not all rooms are accessible. This will also enable us to notify you of any building/ construction work or maintenance around campus, which may impact on the routes you need to take to get to your classes.  

    For further information visit, How to Register with Disability Support.

    For continuing students, it is really important that you contact your Disability Advisor up to 4 weeks before each teaching period commences. Once the semester begins, options for addressing access to teaching areas may be limited.

  • I have taken a break from my study. Will my previous Access Plan and/or Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEA) still be in place when I return?

    If you take a break from your studies of more than one year, please book an appointment to see your Disability Advisor as soon as you return to study to update your AP and/or AEA, as these may have been cancelled during your absence.

    You may need to provide additional supporting documentation to ensure Disability Support are accurately meeting your current needs.

  • Does the University provide assistive software or specialised equipment?

    When you meet with a Disability Advisor, your specific needs and options will be discussed. This may include access to the Adaptive Technology Room which has assistive software installed on the computers, and a CCTV machine available. Access to this room needs to be arranged in advance by your Disability Advisor and is provided on the basis of your documented needs.

    Organising relevant software/ equipment will take time. Register with Disability Support as soon as possible to avoid delays.

    For further information visit, How to Register with Disability Support.