ELC Intercultural Volunteer Program
Volunteer position description
To act as a leader and chaperone to international students studying at the University of Adelaide’s English Language Centre (ELC) who have registered their interest to participate with the ELC Intercultural Program at either internal or external events organised by the ELC. These events may include ELC Social Club activities; Coffee & Chat or Cross-cultural Conversation sessions.
Coffee and chat: a weekly 1 hour event promoting informal conversations between students in the ELC Programs and volunteers over a coffee.
ELC Social Club events: a variety of affordable, fun events and activities in and around Adelaide in which volunteers assist with both the coordination of the event on the day and connecting with participating students using English.
Cross-cultural conversations: a series of short informal conversations held as a structured timed event during which participants discuss various topics with a range of different people.
- Must be in attendance with students at all times for the duration of an event or activity.
- Ensure students arrive at the specified location on time, through the appropriate transportation.
- Enrich students experience through knowledge of an event or activity or location.
- Answer questions to help student learning and broaden cross-cultural understanding.
- Engage the students in conversation using the English language.
- Ensure students return safely to the designated location upon completion of an event or activity.
- Be reliable and commit, when indicated, to the duties and times required.
Skills and knowledge
- An interest in relating to international students.
- An awareness of, and sensitivity to, cross-cultural issues.
- A good standard of spoken English.
- A clear voice and good listening skills.
- Knowledge of local area and attractions is beneficial.
- Knowledge and/or interest in different cultures.
- Ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds and age groups.
- A patient, friendly and engaging manner.
- Be fun and enthusiastic.
- ELC Intercultural Program Volunteer Induction is provided to all volunteers.
- Some travel with the students (via public transport) is required for specific activities.
- No Special Requirements are required (eg. Police Check, Health Check, Driver’s licence).
- Volunteers report to the ELC Operations Manager and/or the ELC Student Services Officer.
Benefits to the volunteer
- Meet international students.
- Experience working in a busy and dynamic business unit of the University of Adelaide.
- Gain international student liaison experience.
- Visit local activities and events for free.
- An ELC Intercultural Program Volunteer Certificate (provided annually) indicating hours of volunteer work completed in the program.
- A referral letter from the ELC (available for longer-term volunteers upon written request).
- Apply for the Adelaide Graduate Award (only for current University of Adelaide students) (After completion of this program you will have your volunteering experience formally recognised and added to your transcript).