Academics With Exploration; Studies Of Mount Isa and the Eastern Succession.
A.W.E.S.O.M.E.S. is a research group that hosts a series of industry-funded applied geoscience projects for Mount Isa Mines.
Its five core research themes are:
- Exploration Through Cover; aims to establish innovative geochemical exploration techniques including the use of a soil gas technique and biogeochemistry to generate new drill targets under cover.
- Deposit Scale Characterisation; detailed geological, geochemical and geophysical modelling and structural studies of current ore bodies (Mount Isa Cu and Ernest Henry IOCG) and advanced exploration targets to maximise near-mine and brown-fields exploration targeting.
- District Scale Ore Systems; studies of temporal and spatial variations of ore systems and the implications for district and regional prospectivity for improved exploration targeting and ground evaluation.
- Production Challenges; identification of key geological and metallurgical questions to overcome technical challenges across different MIM business units.
- Emerging Projects; identification and assessment of applicability of advanced and emerging technologies and to maintain flexibility of research studies to meet changing business needs and maximise knowledge transfer for MIM staff.
Check out UNCOVER for more detail.
Contact the group’s founder Dr Richard Lilly for more.