Some inspiration for lifelong happiness
Sometimes we need someone to tell us that we are doing well, that we don't need to worry because one day we'll get there. When I'm feeling a little low or bad about myself, or I start to question my self-worth and think too much about my life, I try to shake myself out of those feelings by reading inspiring quotes and affirmations.
Here are some of my favourites from a little book called 100 Days Happier by Domonique Bertolucci that includes daily inspiration, and 365 Days of Wonder by R.J. Palacio which is filled with a collection of inspiring quotes from famous authors from Roald Dahl to Tolkien to Anne Frank, and more.
If you want to remember these - write them down anywhere! In a journal, your uni notes, on sticky notes to stick around your room so you can look at them when you've got the blues or need a pick-me-up. I hope these help...
Choose a happy life:
When you wake up each morning take a moment to think about the kind of life you want to have. consciously choose to have a happy life: one that is filled with love, laughter, good health, and success. then begin your day focused on the things you can do to make this your reality. (Bertolucci, 2021)
- Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. - Dalai lama
- Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well. - Philip Dormer Stanhope
Seek out silence:
Find time to experience 5 minutes of silence in your day. walk away from your computer, put your phone down or on silent, close your eyes and just breathe.
“It's hard to be present when your attention is suffering information overload. Switch off and just sit still”Domonique Bertolucci
- The goal of life is to make your heartbeat to match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature. - Joseph Campbell
- Use what talent you possess. The Woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. - Henry Van Dyke
- The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved. - Victor Hugo
Live without regret:
Make the promise today to live without thinking ‘if only…’ The price you will pay for not being brave is a life of regret. The reward for being bold will be the satisfaction of knowing that you tried.
“Don't be afraid to take a chance. The worst that can happen is that you don't succeed… this time.”Domonique Bertolucci
- No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
10. Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon. - Paul Brandt
- If you want to learn about the world, go out in it. - Mae
Be kind to yourself:
If something doesn't go your way today don't beat yourself up. Instead of chastising or criticising yourself, extend yourself the same kindness, encouragement and support that you would a good friend.
“Remember to afford yourself the same generosity you give to others”Domonique Bertolucci
- We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. - E.M. Forster
- If there is no struggle, there is no progress. - Frederick Douglas
- I don't believe you have to be better than everybody else. I believe you have to be better than you thought you could be. - Ken Venturi
Bertolucci, D., 2021. 100 Days Happier. [S.l.]: Hardie Grant Books, pp.11, 95, 97, 145.
Palacio, R., 2014. 365 Days of Wonder. RHCP Digital.