Skip to content


  • What should I do first?

    Firstly, you should read our website thoroughly, particularly our Exchange page. If you have any unanswered questions, or if you just want to know more about the process, you should also attend one of our information sessions.

    You then need to think about the following:

    1. Where do I want to go? Explore our partner institutions starting with the drop-down options on our Exchange page.
    2. Are there courses in my study area available there? Tips for finding this our are on our credit transfer page.
    3. Am I eligible to go? Check that you are eligible for your exchange by reading the general eligibility rules, and checking any specific requirements on the partner pages and brochure pages (find the brochure by clicking 'View Application Brochure' on the partner page or clicking the university name here).

    If you are ready to apply after checking these three items, you can apply.
    If you're still not sure, you can contact us.

  • How do I know if I am eligible for an exchange?
  • I'm an international student. Can I go on exchange?

    Yes, you can. You are subject to the same eligibility as local students, with the exception that you will not be eligible for OS-HELP loans or other government grants limited to Australian Citizens.

  • I have already received credit towards my degree from previous studies at another university
    (in Australia or overseas). Can I still go on exchange?

    Some faculties only allow students to obtain a certain amount of credit towards their degree from other institutions. If you have received credit from another institution, you should first check with your faculty adviser whether or not you can go on exchange. Please visit our contact people page to find your adviser's contact details.

  • Where can I go?

    Visit our partner pages. Take note of any restrictions and ensure that you are able to receive the minimum credit towards your degree.

  • What does it cost?

    Costs vary depending on where you go. Please visit our Funding page, and check the partner page of the host university in which you're interested for further guidance.

  • I'm doing a double degree. Do I have to study both on exchange?

    No. You can study just one if you prefer. Some universities may not even allow you to study both. In our application system we ask you to specify which degree(s) you wish to study on exchange. Ultimately it's up to your Faculty to approve you for credit towards either one or multiple programs and you should consult with them if you have any questions.

  • How early can I apply, and how soon can I leave?

    As long as you will have completed 9 units by the end of the current semester, you can apply in the current round for a partner university that has agreed to accept students with only 9 units showing on their transcript (indicated by 'Minimum Units Completed: at time of application' on the program's brochure page in the Global Learning Application System). If your desired university requires additional units, you will need to wait to apply for the round in which you'll meet that requirement.

    Rounds are timed in a way that students apply to the Global Learning Office two semesters before their departure. This allows a semester in between for completion of the host institution's application process.

  • How do I apply?

    Visit our how to apply page.

  • How can I apply for a scholarship?

    Your application will ask you if you would like to be considered for a scholarship. If you are eligible to receive a scholarship, and have expressed interest in receiving one in your application questionnaire, you will automatically be considered for any of those offered through the Global Learning Office. If you wish to apply for another scholarship beyond what we offer, you will need to contact the governing body directly for application instructions. Scholarships that are known to the Global Learning Office can be seen on our funding page.

  • How do I know if my preferred host university offers courses in my area?

    You would find this information on the host university's website. Visit the institution page on the Global Learning website and read the information contained in your Global Learning Application System (GLAS) profile for some tips. Try searching by Study Area from the advanced search - though bear in mind that this is just an indication of which universities may offer that study area, and doesn't guarantee that you will be able to take those courses or receive credit for them, you will need to investigate further. Any specific questions you have about credit towards your degree should be directed to your Faculty Advisor.

  • Why do I need to provide more than one preference?

    Students should be aware that due to high demand and competition, among other things, their top preference will not always be available to them. While we will try to allocate students to one of their three preferences, they should understand that this may not be possible and all students should be prepared to consider alternative institutions. It is a requirement of the application process that students list their top three preferences for exchange institution.

    It’s also a requirement that students research thoroughly all three of their preferences in regards to eligibility and suitability for exchange and be prepared to accept a place at any one of them. Students are required to choose at least one preference which has either a Moderate or High availability of places so that we have the best possible chance of successfully placing you (students should check the program brochure to see the guide to availability of places at partner institutions).

  • I hold citizenship/have previously lived in the country in which I wish to study. Is this OK?

    Some partners stipulate that exchange students cannot have a ‘significant connection' with the host university's country. Some are quite specific and will not allow exchange students who hold citizenship of the host country, who were born in the host country, or for whom the host country has been their domicile. Other partners are more flexible. If you have any connection to your preferred host country, you should indicate this clearly in your application so we can address any issues as early as possible.

  • I really want to study at a particular overseas university, but they don't have a partnership with the University of Adelaide. Can I still study there?

    Not on an exchange agreement - however, you may be able to study there as a study abroad student. Find out the difference between overseas study options.

  • Can I participate in two separate exchanges in two consecutive semesters (back-to-back)?

    No. Students need to return to Adelaide for at least one semester before being eligible to depart on another exchange. This is partly due to the inevitable issues this situation creates regarding visas and documentation, but also because we encourage students to truly immerse themselves in and appreciate their exchange experience. We will not nominate students for two back-to-back exchanges. If you would like to go on exchange for a full year, do your research and select preferences for which you would be able to secure a full-year of credit for each.

Level 5, Old Classics Wing
(above the Wills Court pond)
The University of Adelaide

Office Hours

9:00am - 5:00pm
Monday - Thursday

10:00am - 5:00pm

Please direct all overseas learning enquiries to the Global Learning Office.

Online Enquiries

Telephone: +61 8 8313 8220

Overseas students who wish to study at Adelaide should contact the Inbound office

Find Us Online

Visit the Global Learning Facebook page    Follow Global Learning on twitter    Follow Global Learning on instagram    See Global Learning on YouTube