New Zealand Special Category Visa Holders
If you hold a New Zealand Special Category Visa, you may be eligible for a HELP loan, providing you meet the long term residency requirements.
If you hold a New Zealand Special Category Visa, you may be eligible for a HELP loan, providing you meet all of the following criteria:
- you first entered Australia at least 10 years ago as a dependent child under 18 years of age; and
- you have been in Australia for at least:
- a total of 8 out of the past 10 years immediately before the test day*; and
- a total of 18 months out of the past two years immediately before the test day*
* 'Test day' means the first date you successfully applied for a HELP loan as an eligible New Zealand Special Category Visa holder for a unit that formed part of the same course of study. If you have not previously successfully applied for a HELP loan for a unit that forms part of your course of study then the 'test day' is the date you submit the Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form.
You will need to email the following forms of evidence to email@example.com at the time of application for HELP, to demonstrate that you meet the eligibility criteria:
- Current New Zealand passport
- International Movements Record (available to request from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA))
- Copy of your Special Category Visa entitlement, available from the DHA Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) website