Financial Assistance for International Students

Various forms of Financial Assistance exist to assist international students.

Tuition fees by instalment

All international students are required to pay their tuition fees by the due date on their invoice. Where international students are unable to pay their fees by the due date and they are in genuine financial hardship they may apply to pay tuition fees by instalment.


For a complete list of scholarships available to international students in the University of Adelaide, go to the International Students Scholarships website.

Grants and loans

For information about possible emergency or short-term financial assistance, enquire through International Student Support.

US financial aid

The University of Adelaide has received approval from the US Department of Education to become a ‘Deferment Only’ institution and is no longer able to certify new US Federal Student Loans under the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program and disburse US federal student loan funds to students.  

‘Deferment Only’ means that US students may defer making payments on existing federal student loan accounts while enrolled in an eligible program at a deferment only foreign university but may not take out federal student loans for enrolment at the deferment only foreign university.  

If you are a US student who received loan funds disbursed through this University under the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program in 2018, you can continue to receive loan disbursements until 31 December 2019 only. For further information on these arrangements contact Student Finance.

Private student loans are available to United States citizens or eligible non-citizens through the Smart Option Student Loan with Sallie Mae. If you require further information, contact Student Finance or visit the Sallie Mae website

  • More information

    General information for US students under the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

    Delivery of Teaching

    From 1 July 2006 students in receipt of US Financial Aid may not enroll in courses that contain any online or external component. Enrolment in a course that contains online or external delivery as the only method of delivery will make you ineligible for Federal Loans for the remainder of your program. Homework and assignment submission is not considered an online or external component for this purpose.

    Satisfactory Academic Progress (US Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.34)

    It is the University's policy that students in receipt of US Federal Student Aid must maintain minimum standard of Academic Progress in accordance with US Federal regulations (34 CFR 668.34) to retain eligibility for further loans. In accordance with US Federal regulations standards are applied to both academic standing and the maximum timeframe to complete the program. Failure to maintain these standards could result in the suspension of your eligibility for US Federal Student Aid.

    1. Academic Standing (Qualitative Component)

    Undergraduate and Postgraduate coursework students receiving US Federal Student Aid in programs, other than students in the Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), or Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) or Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH) programs, must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 or greater to remain eligible for US Federal Student Aid.

    Students enrolled in Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Dental Surgery or Bachelor of Oral Health are reviewed for Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of each Academic Year.

    Students enrolled in a Masters by Research or a PhD are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress as determined by their Academic supervisor. For further information on Satisfactory Academic Progress and eligibility for US Federal Student Aid for Research students contact Student Finance.

    Course repetitions are included in the assessment of GPA. Credits from another institution and grades of Withdrawal no Fail (WNF), Continuing (CN), or Result Pending (RP) are not included in GPA.

    2. Maximum Timeframe (Quantitative Component)

    All students receiving US Federal Student Aid must complete their program within 150% of the published course duration and be enrolled in at least 50% of a Full Time Study Load in each study period. A Full Time Study Load is 12 units of study per semester, which equates to 24 units of study per Academic Year.  The Maximum Timeframes for completion of standard programs are:

         three-year degree – eligibility for aid 4.5 years

         four-year degree – eligibility for aid 6 years

         five-year degree – eligibility for aid 7.5 years

    For non-standard programs, the Maximum Timeframe is calculated on a pro-rate basis depending on the standard duration and number of study units required for satisfactory completion of that specific program.

    Students receiving US Financial Aid who have received permission to reduce their study load at any time are still required to complete their program within 150% of the published duration.

    Students awarded credit that shortens the duration of their studies, must complete their program within 150% of the shortened program duration.

    To achieve the Maximum Timeframe, students must also achieve a satisfactory Pace of Completion during the duration of their study program.  Under US regulations, students need to pass at least 67% of the cumulative courses they have attempted prior to the date of assessment to meet the Pace of Completion component.

    The University’s assessment of Pace of Completion is also based on a continuing full time enrolment of 12 units of study per semester, which equates to 24 units of study per Academic Year. Students must satisfactorily complete a minimum average of 9 units of study (75% load) in each 12 unit study period (over the program duration) to meet the Pace of Completion requirement.

    Failed grades, withdrawals, repeat courses and incompletions impact negatively on a student’s capacity to meet both quantitative SAP requirements.

    Any courses in which a student has received a Withdraw No Fail (WNF) or Result Pending (RP) grade is treated as if the student never enrolled in that course and is not taken into account in quantitative SAP evaluation.  

    When a student transfers from another institution, only the courses granted transfer credits are included to measure the quantitative SAP requirements.

    If it becomes mathematically impossible for a student to complete their program within the 150% Maximum Timeframe, the student will become ineligible for further US Federal Student Aid from the study period it is determined completion within the Maximum Timeframe is no longer possible.

    Financial aid warning and suspension

    A student who fails to attain the required Academic Standing will be placed on Financial Aid Warning if:

    - the previous period was the first payment period of their program and they fail to make SAP in the second payment  period; OR

    - they were making SAP in the prior payment period for which they were enrolled and then fail to make SAP in the next payment period.

    The Financial Aid Warning covers one standard term of enrolment only (12 units of study), or another period determined on the student’s specific program.  Students remain eligible for Federal Student Aid while on Financial Aid Warning.

    Students on Financial Aid Warning who, during the relevant term of enrolment, attain the required Academic Standing will have the Financial Aid Warning lifted.

    Students on Financial Aid Warning who do not attain the required Academic Standing during the relevant term of enrolment will be suspended from receiving Federal Student Aid.  Further Federal Student Aid eligibility is subject to the student attaining the required Academic Standing.


    The University of Adelaide does not accept appeals against the suspension of eligibility for US Federal Student Aid due to a student:

    - Failing to attain Qualitative Component (Academic Standing) after having received a Financial Aid Warning; or

    - Failing to meet the Quantitative Component (Maximum Timeframe or Pace of Completion) components.

    If I decide to withdraw or reduce my study load what do I need to do?

    If you decide to withdraw from your program or reduce your study load you must contact Student Finance immediately. Information about withdrawing from your program is available at Conditions of Enrolment.

    I plan to take a Leave of Absence from my program. Will this affect my Financial Aid?

    A Leave of Absence (LOA) in a student’s program of study must meet certain conditions in order not to be determined as a withdrawal from the program.

    If a Leave of Absence does not meet US regulatory requirements (34 CFR 668.22(d)) the student is considered to have ceased attendance and to have withdrawn from the program. A Return of Title IV Funds calculation would be performed to determine if funds must be returned to the US Department of Education.

    For an approved Leave of Absence to not be determined as a withdrawal:

    • The Leave of Absence must not exceed a total of 180 days in any 12-month period. The 12-month period begins on the first day of the student’s break from study; and
    • There must be a reasonable expectation that the student will return from the Leave of Absence.

    If a student on an approved LOA fails to return or takes an unapproved LOA for Title IV loan purposes, The University of Adelaide must report the student’s change in enrolment status with the withdrawal date being the first day of the student’s LOA.

    Students should be aware of the possible consequences that not returning from a LOA may have on their student loans. This may include exhausting the grace period on the student’s loan repayment terms.

    A student who is considering a Leave of Absence, temporary interruption or break in their studies should contact their program adviser and Student Finance.

    US Constitution Day

    Constitution Day commemorates the formation and signing of the US Constitution on 17 September 1787. US Citizens are encouraged to celebrate this day each year. Information regarding celebrations and activities can be found at The National Archives.

    Cohort default rate

    The US Department of Education calculates cohort default rates (CDR) annually to determine the percentage of Federal Student Aid borrowers at each University who default on their loan repayments. The Cohort Default Rate for The University of Adelaide for the 2015 fiscal year is 6.6%.

    Leaving the University - exit counselling

    Before you leave the University or graduate you are required to complete loan exit counselling. The loan exit counselling provides important information regarding your rights and responsibilities under the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loans) after you have left the University and enter repayment. Loan exit counselling provides repayment information and options including consolidation, when repayment begins, solutions to repayment problems, implications of defaulting on loan repayments and estimating your budget. For further information and to complete the loan exit counselling visit the US Department of Education website

    Students can access their Direct Loan information from the US Department of Education website NSLDS Student Access.

    Consumer information

    Information in regards to The University of Adelaide's Consumer Information disclosure.

Post 9/11 GI BILL for US veterans

The University of Adelaide participates in the US Department of Veterans Affairs POST 9/11 GI BILL for US Veterans. Enquiries should be directed to Student Finance.

Each program of study must be approved by the US Department of Veterans Affairs upon request from the University. If you are considering accessing benefits under the POST 9/11 GI BILL it is recommended that you contact Student Finance as early as possible in the application process to study at The University of Adelaide.

Canadian student loan program

Canadian students may be eligible to apply for student loans from their provincial government in Canada. Students apply directly to the relevant institution in Canada. The institution may require Program Information Forms or Confirmation of Enrolment documentation to be certified by the University.  This documentation should be forwarded to Student Finance for completion. Any enquiries may be directed to Student Finance.