New Zealand Citizens

In addition to accessing CSP, some New Zealand citizens can also access HELP loans.

To be eligible for a HELP loan, you must:

  • Be a New Zealand Special Category visa (SCV) holder or formerly be a Special Category visa holder and on a pathway to Australian citizenship; and
  • Meet ALL of the long-term residency requirements; and
  • Be living in Australia while you study.

The long term residency requirements for New Zealand SCV holders (and former SCV holders) are that you:

  • First began to be usually resident in Australia at least 10 years ago,
  • Were a child under the age of 18 with no spouse or de facto partner when you first began to be usually resident in Australia, and
  • Have been in Australia for at least:
    • a total of eight out of the past 10 years (from when you apply for the loan), and
    • a total of 18 months out of the last two years (from when you apply for the loan).

You will need to email the following forms of evidence to at the time of application for HELP, to demonstrate that you meet the eligibility criteria:

  1. Current New Zealand passport
  2. International Movements Record (available to request from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA))

For further information visit the Study Assist website. To check your current visa status, visit the Department of Home Affairs website