Job-Ready Graduates Package

For students undertaking study in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and students accessing HELP assistance, the Job-Ready Graduates Package (JRGP) has introduced additional eligibility requirements.

If you are a student receiving a HELP loan for your studies (HECS-HELPFEE-HELPOS-HELP and/or SA-HELP) and/or studying in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) in your degree, the JRGP means that you must meet all of the following conditions in order to maintain your eligibility for a CSP or HELP loan;

  • maintain a completion rate of at least 50% of your studies, if you commenced your current degree on or after 1 January 2022
  • have remaining Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) funding
  • be a genuine student engaged in your studies

If you do not meet the completion rate requirement and/or you use up your SLE funding, your Commonwealth assistance will be withdrawn until the conditions have been fulfilled once again (for example, until your completion rate returns above 50%).

To understand if you meet the criteria for low completion and how to get advice, please refer to the Jobs Ready Graduate (JRG) process chart.

  • Calculate your completion rate

    Your completion rate is first calculated;

    • after attempting and receiving results for eight or more courses, within a Bachelor’s level degree (or higher)
    • after attempting and receiving results for four or more courses, within a Diploma (or any other program of a lower level than a Bachelor’s degree)

    It is then recalculated on Census Date for each semester thereafter.

    In order to calculate your completion rate, you will need to view your Unofficial Academic Transcript (you can do this by logging into MyAdelaide, and clicking ‘Generate unofficial transcript’ in the Academic results page).

    You can then use the table below to identify whether the courses you have undertaken are considered complete, incomplete or uncounted in the calculation.

    Grade Definition Attempted or not attempted Complete or incomplete
    HD, D, C or P High Distinction (HD)
    Distinction (D)
    Credit (C)
    Pass (P)
    Attempted Complete
    F, FNS, WNF or WF Fail (F)
    Fail No Submission (FNS)
    Withdraw No Fail (WNF)
    Withdraw Fail (WF)
    Attempted Incomplete
    RP or CN Result Pending (RP)
    Continuing (CN)
    Attempted Neither - do not count towards completion

    Once you have identified which courses are complete and incomplete, you will need to find the number of completed courses by using this formula:

    Total number of attempted courses - Number of incomplete courses.

    Then, you can use the following formula to determine your current completion rate (the result will be the percentage of your courses that have been successfully completed):

    Number of completed courses ÷ Total number of attempted courses x 100.

  • Next steps

    Now you know your completion rate, what do you need to do?

    It’s important to monitor your completion rate throughout your program. However, if your academic results indicate that your academic progress is unsatisfactory, we will also write to you with advice on what action you need to take.

    Once you have calculated your current completion rate, refer to the table below for what your next steps should be:

    Your completion rate Your next steps
    Below 50% You will no longer receive Government funding for your program (neither as a HELP loan nor as a CSP). Please contact your faculty to book an appointment with a Student Success Advisor for advice, and continue reading through the information on this page.
    50% You will continue receiving Government funding, however you will need to ensure your completion rate does not fall below 50% in order to remain eligible for the funding. Please contact your faculty to book an appointment with a Student Success Advisor as soon as possible for further information about support strategies.
    51% to 60% You will continue to receive Government funding for your program – but please closely monitor your completion rate in each study period to ensure it does not fall below the 50%.
    Above 60% Your Government funding will continue. Please monitor your completion rate over the course of your studies.

    What are your options if your completion rate is below 50%?

    Once your completion rate falls below 50%, you will lose your Commonwealth Assistance (both the Commonwealth Supported Place and any HELP loans you may be receiving). Your options are then;

    • continue your current program in a Full-Fee Paying Place and pay your fees upfront yourself
    • internally transfer into a new program within the University of Adelaide. Your completion rate does not transfer between degrees, so you will be able to access Commonwealth Assistance (HELP loans and CSP) for your new degree. Please note that internal transfer applications are assessed individually, and do take into account your academic suitability.

Frequently asked questions

  • Does the completion rate requirement apply to you?

    If you started your program during or after 2022 (this includes commencing a deferred degree that you were offered prior to 2022), then yes, you must meet the completion rate to maintain your CSP and/or HELP loan.

  • When is your completion rate calculated?

    It is first calculated;

    • after attempting and receiving results for eight or more courses, within a Bachelor’s level degree (or higher, for example a Master's degree or Graduate Diploma)
    • after attempting and receiving results for four or more courses, within a Diploma (or any other program of a lower level than a Bachelor’s degree)

    For the purposes of CSP/HELP loan eligibility, your completion rate is recalculated on Census Date each study period, and looks at all courses recorded on your Academic Transcript and their corresponding results (as they appear on Census Date).

  • Why is Census Date important?

    Census Date is the last day you can withdraw from a course without it affecting your completion rate, SLE or incurring fees for the course. Every course you are enrolled in on the Census Date will count as Attempted for the purpose of calculating your completion rate and Student Learning Entitlement.

  • What is the Student Learning Entitlement (SLE) and how does it affect you?

    From 1 January 2022, you are entitled to study in a CSP for seven years full time (7 EFTSL) or part-time equivalent, with any higher education provider. This applies to all students who are studying in a CSP and/or receiving a HELP loan, regardless of whether you are commencing a new program or continuing a program you began prior to 2022.

    If you use up your entitlement, you will usually need to transfer to a full-fee paying place. All courses that count as Attempted for the purpose of your completion rate in the table above, also count towards your total Student Learning Entitlement. There are some situations where you can access additional SLE.

  • Once I lose it, can I regain my CSP/HELP loan?

    If you have lost your CSP/HELP loan due to a completion rate of less than 50%, then you can regain your CSP and HELP loan for your degree by improving your completion rate to the eligibility requirement of 50% or above. In the meantime, you will need to pay for future courses upfront.

  • What can you do to improve your completion rate?

    As you pass more of your courses, your completion rate will improve. If your completion rate is already close to 50%, or you feel you’re not on track to pass, you may want to consider the following;

    For any support with improving your completion rate and implementing strategies to aid with this, please contact your faculty to book an appointment with a Student Success Advisor.

  • Can changing my study load help my completion rate?

    Every course you pass increases your completion rate – so reducing your study load to spend more time focussing on fewer courses at once can be a good option.

    You may want to reduce your study load in order to give you more time for things other than study, and allow you to spend your study time focussing on fewer courses. If you have not yet attempted eight courses of study within your degree (or four courses if you are studying a program lower than Bachelor’s level), increasing your completion rate by reducing your study load may also delay the assessment of your CSP/HELP eligibility, giving you extra time.

    Changing your study load

    If you also receive Centrelink benefits it’s important to understand how changing from full-time to part-time study impacts this. For more information about how this may impact your Centrelink, book an appointment with Student Care.

  • What can you do if you think you may fail a course?

    Please see “What can you do to improve your completion rate” above.

  • Can you withdraw from courses you think you may fail?

    Census Date is the last day you can drop the courses you’ve enrolled in without it affecting your completion rate, SLE or incurring fees.

    If you withdraw from a course after Census Date, you will incur fees for the course and you will receive either a Withdrawal No Fail (WNF) or Withdraw Fail (WF) grade. Any course with either of these grades will count as attempted and incomplete, and will lower your completion rate.

  • What if you have failed a course and you don’t agree with the grade?

    If you have received a fail grade for a course and disagree with it, then you can appeal the mark or grade via the Student Grievance Resolution process.

  • How does repeating a course impact my completion rate?

    If you repeat a failed course, every time you take that course will be counted as another attempt.

  • Does my completion rate impact future applications?

    No, your completion rate calculation applies only to your current program and does not transfer with you to other programs or applications for the purposes of CSP/HELP eligibility. Instead, each application or transfer will be assessed on the entry requirements of the program and academic suitability.

    All attempted courses, regardless of your completion rate, will count towards your Student Learning Entitlement.

  • How do you prove you are a genuine student for the purpose of JRGP?

    You don’t need to do anything ‘extra’ to prove you are a genuine student – just engage in your studies. We will take the following into account when assessing whether you are a genuine student:

    • how often you log into MyUni
    • how actively you participate in classes
    • whether you complete your assignments
    • whether the contact information you have given us is correct
  • Will completion rates affect International Students?

    Low completion rates may still impact you if you are an International Student in the process of gaining Australian residency.

    Once your residency is approved, then you will then become a Domestic Student. When this occurs, the University will assess whether you are eligible for a CSP and/or HELP loan, and will consider your completion rate in the process.