Skip to content

Student Contribution

As a domestic student, you could be entitled to a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) at University. This means that the Australian Government subsidises your fees so that you only pay the remainder of the fees through a 'student contribution' amount.

Domestic Commonwealth Supported Students

Only an approved Australian higher education provider can offer domestic students a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).

CSPs for eligible students are available in all undergraduate programs of study (limited CSPs are available in dentistry, medicine, oral health, and veterinary science).

If you study in a CSP:

  • the Commonwealth contributes to the cost of your courses
  • you pay a Student Contribution towards the cost of your courses
  • you may be eligible for HECS-HELP assistance to pay your student contribution.

To be eligible for a CSP you must be either:

  • an Australian citizen AND will undertake, in Australia, at least one unit of study contributing to your course of study
  • a permanent visa holder (check Link to external website for the list of visa subclasses) or a New Zealand citizen AND will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit.

Student Contribution Amounts


The 2020 Student Contribution (SC) amounts for one year of full-time study at The University of Adelaide are based on the following;

Band 1


Humanities, Behavioural Sciences, Social Studies, Foreign languages, Visual and Performing Arts, Education*, Nursing*, Clinical Psychology
Band 2 $9,527 Computing, Built Environment, Other Health, Allied Health, Engineering, Surveying, Agriculture, Science, Mathematics, Statistics
Band 3 $11,155 Law, Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Science, Accounting, Administration, Economics, Commerce

*For pre-2010 students, the maximum annual student contribution amount that may be charged for Education and Nursing units is $5,348. Please refer to Study Assist Link to external website for further information.

Calculating Your Student Contribution

How much you pay depends on how many courses you are enrolled in, the unit value of those courses and under which band your courses fall. To find out the amount for your course(s), search for the course(s) on Course Planner.

If you are not sure how to calculate how much Student Contribution you should be paying, the Information for Commonwealth Supported Students booklet contains detailed instructions and examples of how to calculate your Student Contribution. This booklet is available from Ask Adelaide, Hub Central, North Terrace Campus, or from the Government’s Study Assist Link to external website website.

If you are studying Cross-Institutionally, please visit our Cross-Institutional Students page.

Paying Your Student Contribution

All Commonwealth Supported students are issued an invoice in Access Adelaide for each study period in which they enrol. Please visit our Payments page for more information about invoices, due dates and payment options.

Commonwealth supported students must pay their Student Contribution in full by the invoice due date of each study period in which they are enrolled, and/or may be eligible to apply for HECS-HELP to cover some or all of their Student Conitrbution – see HECS-HELP page to check your eligibility.

Student Contribution payments received after the census date cannot be accepted and will either be returned or refunded.

If you make a partial payment, you must be eligible to have the balance of your Student Contribution deferred to a HECS-HELP loan, otherwise your enrolment in any fully or partially unpaid courses will be cancelled.

Commonwealth supported students requiring further information on financial assistance and advice, please visit our Financial Assistance page.

For more information concerning late, non-payment or incomplete deferral of Student Contribution for Commonwealth Supported students please refer to our Outstanding Debts page.

Sponsored Students

For further information on Local Sponsored Students, please visit our Sponsored Students page.

Other Fees & Charges

Please visit our Other Fees & Charges page for more information.

Opening Hours

9am - 5pm
Monday - Friday


Enquire online
Telephone: +61 8 8313 5208
Country/interstate callers toll free on 1800 061 459

Face to Face Enquiries

Hub Central, Level 3 South
The University of Adelaide
North Terrace
Adelaide SA 5005