Early Warning Instrument
The Early Warning Instrument is a filterable dashboard that assists in identifying at-risk students at a program, course and individual level.
Availability: upon request for all courses & programs
Best used: during the teaching period
Produced in Microsoft PowerBI, the dashboard identifies students potentially at risk by considering numerous risk factors. The dashboard is currently being piloted on the University’s Microsoft PowerBI enterprise server. Please contact the Learning Analytics team to request access.
The following default risk factors are used to classify a student as 'at risk':
- Retaken the course
- Academic progress risk
- Low GPA
- No recent login
- Overdue assignments
- Low assignment scores
- Low course activity
There is potential to add additional risk factors relevant to your program or course.
What's in it?
- Program level insights
- Enrolment summary list (lists each enrolment and enrolment details)
- Total enrolments vs at-risk enrolments for each course in program
- Ability to filter by specific programs, teaching periods, year levels, commencing/continuing enrolments, and residency
- Course level insights
- Enrolment summary list
- Assignment summary list
- Student programs summary
- Risk factor indicators (number of enrolments that apply to each)
- Assignment Status summary (shows number of overdue/submitted/unsubmitted assignments in a course)
- Ability to filter to specific courses, year levels and commencing/continuing enrolments
- Ability to filter by each risk factor (listed above) to see which students from the course are in the category
- Student level insights
- Enrolment summary (all courses)
- Total course risk indicator
- Risk factor indicators
- Assignment status summary (shows number of overdue/submitted/unsubmitted assignments for student across all their courses)
- Submissions summary
How can it be used?
- Identify programs with high numbers of at-risk enrolments
- Identify courses with high numbers of at-risk enrolments
- Identify individual students that are at risk
- Insights can be used to inform contact/interventions with individual students
- Identify areas where an individual student may be struggling (particularly when enrolled in courses across multiple faculties)
- Use email link to contact students directly from the dashboard
- Identify which risk factors apply most to specific course(s)/ program(s)
- Use risk factor indicators to inform course review & design
- Identify course coordinators for specific courses
For more information on how the dashboard can be used, or to provide feedback on how you have used the report, please contact the Learning Analytics team.
How do I access?
The dashboard is now being piloted on the University PowerBI server. Please contact the Learning Analytics team to request access.