FeedbackFruits Group Member Evaluation tool
A new external Group Member Evalutation tool has been added to the MyUni ecosystem to support collaborative learning and group work activities.
The tool is designed to harmonise group work and collaborative learning activities by surfacing the contributions of individual group members. The Group Member Evaluation tool enables instructors to create assignments for students to provide feedback on how their peers have participated in their group. The tool integrates with groups set in MyUni.
Use of the tool enables visibility into the individual experience of group members and surfaces the contributions of each member. Students are able to provide de-identified feedback to their peers. Where necessary, the tool provides a Group Skill Factor to adjust an individual’s mark or grade to reflect the contribution made toward a collective assessment task. However, use of the tool is intended to encourage and support group member contributions. In using the Group Member Evaluation tool, student confidence is increased in participating in group and collaborative learning activities.
The goal for the use of FeedbackFruits Group Member Evaluation tools is to improve the student experience by harmonising group work and collaborative learning activities at the University of Adelaide.
Principles for Group Member Evaluation Tool Use
Pedagogy and Design for Learning
1. Assessment delivered via FeedbackFruits Group Member Evaluation tool is intended to enhance interactions between students and their peers.
2. Assessment delivered via FeedbackFruits will be intentionally designed to support collaborative learning and teamwork, identified as key employability skills.
3. Use of the Group Member Evaluation tool is designed to harmonise group work activities and resolve internal group dynamics and surface contributions of group members to an artefact or piece of work.
4. Use of the Group Member Evaluation tool is designed to encourage student contributions to group work and collaborative learning activities.
5. Use of the Group Member Evaluation tool is designed to surface the contributions of individual group members to a task.
6. Use of the Group Member Evaluation tool is designed to support fairness and equity in group work and collaborative assessment tasks.
7. Technology will be used to support, rather than drive, students’ professional skill development.
8. Activities delivered via the tool/s is accessible.
Technology and Support
9. Teaching staff using the FeedbackFruits tools will be supported with professional development/training to ensure optimisation of the full capability of each tool.
10. Students completing assessment using the FeedbackFruits tool/s will be provided with support resources needed to complete a task.
1. Intentionally designed rubrics, required to complete a FeedbackFruits Group Member Evaluation should be provided and refer directly to learning outcomes, where feasible.
2. Students should be invited to reflect upon their own contribution to a group work or collaborative task before evaluating the contribution of others.
3. Where the tool is used to adjust the grade of an individuals, based upon respective contributions, the Group Skill Factor tool should be used.
4. The Group Contribution Grading factor is not recommended for adjustments to student marks.
5. Group Member Evaluation tasks should be completed prior to the release of associated marks or grades for group member or collaborative learning tasks. This is to prevent bias.
6. Students should be given the opportunity to complete a non-assessed activity using the FeedbackFruits tool to promote familiarity with the tool/s and associated features.