LMS Analytics is a dashboard that displays information regarding student engagement across different elements within a course, including pages, modules, assignments, files and more. The Course Student Profile and Detailed Course Report also sit within the LMS Analytics tool.
Availability: in all Courses via Course Navigation
Best used: during semester
LMS Analytics enables staff to see the number of Views and Participations in each of the course elements; sort each column; search a course element or title (full title or partial); identify who has/not viewed or participated/not participated in any of the 'Titles' (Topics) in a 'Course Element'; see students first and last access; filter required data and download the data to a csv file.
Actions that will generate a (student) view.
The following actions will generate a (student) view:
- Accessing a MyUni page within the Course
- Downloading a file
Actions that will generate (student) analytics course participation.
The following actions by students will generate analytics course participation:
- Loading a collaboration to view/edit the document
- Joining a web conference
- Posting a new comment to a discussion or an announcement
- Starting and submitting a quiz
- Submitting an assignment
- Creating a wiki page
Further information on LMS Analytics.
Student lists in LMS Analytics
- Identify which Students have engaged with a ‘Course Elements’/’Titles’ by clicking on a topic under the ‘Title’ column.
- This will generate a new view within the LMS Analytics showing the list of Students who have engaged with the ‘Course Elements’/ ’Titles ’.
- Change the Student list by clicking on the appropriate button in the Filter table.
- Ability to download the Student list by clicking on the csv button.
What can you do with a student list?
Identify students who have not viewed the topic(s) in the ‘Course Elements’/’Titles ’
- Send timely reminders to students to remind them to access the ’Titles’ and why they should access the ‘Titles'. For example, a particular ‘Title’ may be important in preparation for an exam. Download the CSV file to obtain Student email addresses, and copy these into your email client.
- Identify students 'at risk' to inform interventions
- Identify resource usage patterns e.g. resources students found to be valuable
- Limit speculation and subjective interpretations through the use of data
- Predict future student performance (based on past patterns of the learning experience)
Course Student Profile
The profile is accessible through the Course Student Profile tab within the LMS Analytics tool. You may be prompted to enter your university username and password. The profile provides demographic insights into your student cohort in the form of graphs and tables. At any point, you can click on a bar within a graph to open a list of the students relating to that data point.
What's in it?
- students with previous attempts at this course
- current enrolment load
- most common other course enrolments
- most common programs students are enrolled in
- students by residency status & gender (%)
- basis of admission
How can it be used?
- identify specific students that may be at risk based on number of previous attempts at course
- identify cohorts that may be at risk based on current enrolment load
- identify the top other courses students are currently enrolled in to avoid assessment clashes with those courses
Want further insights like this?
Have a look at the Detailed Course Report, also located within LMS Analytics.
Detailed Course Report
The Detailed Course Report provides insights into student demographics, academic results and program & other course enrolments, as well as information about the course. The report allows for comparison with up to five previous iterations of the course.
You can access all the details about the report on the Detailed Course Report page.