Dr Abdul Al-Azri
Senior Lecturer in Oral Pathology
Dr Abdul Rahman Al-Azri has undertaken his dental speciality training in the University of Adelaide. He obtained his degree of Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Pathology) in 2013 and his Graduate Diploma in Forensic Odontology in 2014. He was awarded the Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence in 2013. Dr Al-Azri's main interests are oral & maxillofacial pathology, oral medicine and forensic odontology. Clinically, he is involved in the oral care of oncology & medically compromised patients. He is a member of the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) and International Society of Oral Oncology (ISOO) and international mucositis study group. He is involved in oral mucositis research and currently investigating the pathophysiology of oral mucositis in animal models. He is also involved in the development of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the management of mucositis.
Dr Al-Azri obtained his Bachelor of Dental Science with Honours II from Trinity College, University of Dublin (Ireland) in 2003. He has a Bachelor of Arts from the same University. In 2005, he obtained his membership from the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (of Glasgow). He worked as a dental surgeon in the Ministry of Health of Oman until December 2009.
-Graduate Diploma in Forensic Odontology (GDipForOdont), The University of Adelaide, 2014.
-Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (DClinDent Oral Pathology), achieved with Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence, The University of Adelaide, 2013.
-Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (MFDS RCPSGlasg), Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Glasgow, 2005.
-Bachelor of Arts (BA) Trinity College, University of Dublin, Republic of Ireland, 2003.
-Bachelor of Dental Science (BDSc achieved with II Honours), Trinity College, University of Dublin, Republic of Ireland, 2003.
Awards & Achievements
- Casual teaching & clinical tutor in the School of Dentistry ,the University of Adelaide, Adelaide Dental Hospital (2010-2014) for BDS4.
- Involved in development of Dental Radiology and Radiography Module for undergraduate students at Oman Dental College (2008 - 2009).
Previous Research Projects:
-The role of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the pathogenesis of irinotecan-induced oral mucositis (Animal study).
-Awareness of forensic odontology among dental practitioners in Australia; are they keeping forensically adequate dental records? (Survey study).
-Systematic review of cytokines and growth factors for the management of oral mucositis in cancer patients (Evidence based clinical practice).
-Temporomandibular disorders in patients with mandibular fractures (Clinical Study).
- Al‐Azri, AR., Harford, J, & James, H. Awareness of forensic odontology among dentists in Australia; are they keeping forensically valuable dental records?. Australian dental journal. 2015. DOI: 10.1111/adj.12316
- Al‐Azri, Abdul R., Rachel J. Gibson, Joanne M. Bowen, Andrea M. Stringer, Dorothy M. Keefe, and Richard M. Logan. "Involvement of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP‐3 and MMP‐9) in the pathogenesis of irinotecan‐induced oral mucositis." Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine. 2014. DOI: 10.1111/jop.12255
- Al-Azri AR, Gibson RJ, Keefe DMK, Logan RM, Matrix metalloproteinases: do they play a role in mucosal pathology of the oral cavity? Oral Diseases. 2013, 19;347-359.
- Raber-Durlacher JE, von Bültzingsl.wen I, Logan RM, Bowen J, Al-Azri AR et. al. Systematic review of cytokines and growth factors for the management of oral mucositis in cancer patients. Support Care in Cancer. 2013, 21:343-355.
- Al-Azri AR, Logan RM, Goss AN. Oral Lesion as the first Clinical Presentation in Sarcoidosis: A Case Report. Oman Medical Journal, 2012, 27: 243-245.
- Al-Hashmi, A., Al-Azri, A., Al-Ismaily, M., Goss, A. N., Temporomandibular disorders in patients with mandibular fractures: a preliminary comparative case-control study between South Australia and Oman. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 2011.
- E-Thesis: Al-Azri, Abdul Rahman. "The role of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in irinotecan-induced oral mucositis: an animal model." (2013). (http://digital.library.adelaide.edu.au/dspace/handle/2440/81399).
- The Oman Dental Society (ODS) since 2005, Founding Member, Head of Sicnetific Committe until November 2009.
- The Oman Medical Association (OMA) since 2005.
- The Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) since 2010.
- The International Society of Oral Oncology (ISOO) since 2010.
-Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology
-Oral Care of Oncology & Medically Compromised Patients
Active Board Member of The Omani Students' Society of South Australia (OSSSA)
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 25 Aug 2015