Dr Akiko Tomita
|Org Unit||Asian Studies|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 4286|
Kenneth Wills Building
Akiko Tomita is a lecturer at the University of Adelaide. Akiko started teaching Japanese language at the University of Newcastle before moving to the University of Adelaide, combining postgraduate study in Linguistics and cultural studies and teaching Japanese language. Her research is focussed in the areas of teaching and learning Japanese as a second language; Japanese politeness; bilingualism; biculturalism; intercultural language teaching and learning; transcultural communication and in-country /study abroad experience. She has received numerous awards for her outstanding teaching, including at a national level.
QualificationsMA (Adelaide); PhD Candidate (Adelaide)
Awards & Achievements
Excellence in Teaching - Awards
• 2010 - The Award for Outstanding Student Feedback in Learning and Teaching (Team) in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
• 2011 - Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Prize for Excellence in Teaching (in the Individual Teacher category).
• 2011 - The Award for Outstanding Student Feedback in Learning and Teaching (Individual) in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
• 2012 - The Award for Outstanding Student Feedback in Learning and Teaching (Individual) in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
• 2013 - The National Award OLT Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning (Individual).
Japanese language subjects and Japanese In-Country Summer School
Japanese In-Country Summer School Japanese Progrma at Ritsumeikan University:
Teaching/learning Japanese as a second language: Japanese politeness; Bilingualism; Biculturalism; Intercultural language teaching and learning; Transcultural communication
- 2013 Faculty of the profession Learning and Development Grant for Designing an Intercultural Learning Environment for First Year Students that Encounter Three Aspects: a Video Demonstration, an e-Learning and a Face to Face Communication Assemblage. (with Dr Nina Maadad and Dr Igusti Darmawan)
- 2014 Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Learning & Teaching Development and Innovation Grant.
- 2014 AsiaBound Grants
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Monday, 18 Dec 2017
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/akiko.tomita