Professor Ben Mol
|Org Unit||Paediatrics and Reproductive Health|
|Mobile||+61 4 3412 2170|
Womens & Childrens Hospital
Ben Willem Mol is Professor Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Adelaide. He is focused on the organisation of multi-centric evaluative research in Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. As a Professor, Mol considers his most important task to be the stimulation and innovation of evaluative research in Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. His professional adage is ‘A day without randomisation is a day without progress.'
Mol studied Medicine at the University of Amsterdam. From 1993 to 1997, he worked in the department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the AMC. In 1999 he obtained his doctorate with honours at the Faculty of Medicine of the UvA with his dissertation entitled Evaluating the effectiveness of diagnostic tests: tubal subfertility and ectopic pregnancy. Between 1997 and 2003 he was trained as a Gynaecologist at the Máxima Medical Centre (Máxima Medisch Centrum, MMC) in Veldhoven, the University Medical Centre (Universitair Medisch Centrum) in Utrecht and the Tweesteden Hospital (Tweestedenziekenhuis) in Tilburg. Since 2002, Mol has been a Senior Researcher in the department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the AMC. From 2003 to 2007, he worked as a Gynaecologist-Perinatologist at the MMC in Veldhoven. Mol is chairman of the Guideline Commission (commissie Richtlijnen) and member of the Scholarship Commission (commissie Wetenschap) of the Dutch Association for Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Nederlandse Vereniging voor Obstetrie en Gynaecologie, NVOG).
As of 2014, Mol has been appointed as a professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Adelaide. Mol has co-authored > 500 peer reviewed publications, of which some have been published in high-impact journals such as NEJM (2), Lancet (7), JAMA (2), PlosMedicine (1) and BMJ (9).
University of Amsterdam
University of Amsterdam
Economics (Free Master's)
University of Amsterdam
March 12th 1999
Supervisor (‘Promotor'): Prof. Dr. P.M.M. Bossuyt; Prof. Dr. F. van der Veen
Evaluating the effectiveness of diagnostic tests: tubal subfertility and ectopic pregnancy (cum laude)
Awards & Achievements
Oranje-stipendium NVOG 2000, € 2.5000
Jan Swammerdam Fertiliteits-prijs 1999, € 5.000
As a professor, I consider my main task to be mentoring and training young researchers and medical doctors in their first steps in research. Since I obtained my own PhD, I have mentored colleagues in their PhD, initially as co-promoter and since 2007 as full promoter . In the last 10 years, 48 PhD students have completed their thesis under my supervision with another 66 in The Netherlands underway to finish their thesis before the end of 2016.
For the first seven PhD-Students (2000-2007) I was co-promotor. Since my full professor ship, I was first supervisor for 27 PhD students and second supervisor for 14 PhD students. Among the 33 ongoing PhD students, I am the first supervisor for 19 PhD students and second supervisor for 14 PhD students. In the last 10 years, students have received multiple prizes, awards and nominations. The year 2013 was my most productive year with 28 completed PhD thesis (17 first, 11 second).
Summary of grant income
- ZonMW VIDI
- ZonMW ‘Health Care Efficiency', 21 projects
- ZonMW ‘Implementation', 2 projects
- ZonMW ‘Prevention', 5 projects
- ZonMW ‘AGIKO/ fellow', 4 projects
- Guidelines, 4 projects
- European Union, 4 projects
- Other funding, 5 projects
Publications and citation metrics as listed on Google Scholar
Publications and citation metrics as listed on Web of Science
- Mol F, Van Mello F, ... Mol BW... et al. Salpingotomy versus salpingectomy in women with tubal pregnancy (ESEP trial): a randomised controlled trial. THELANCET-D-13-03940R1. In Press
- Barrett JF, Hannah ME, Hutton EK, Willan AR, Allen AC, Armson BA, Gafni A, Joseph KS, Mason D, Ohlsson A, Ross S, Sanchez JJ, Asztalos EV; Twin Birth Study Collaborative Group (Mol BW collaborator). A randomized trial of planned cesarean or vaginal delivery for twin pregnancy. N Engl J Med. 2013;369(14):1295-305.
- Labrie J, Berghmans BL, Fischer K, Milani AL, van der Wijk I, Smalbraak DJ, Vollebregt A, Schellart RP, Graziosi GC, van der Ploeg JM, Brouns JF, Tiersma ES, Groenendijk AG, Scholten P, Mol BW, Blokhuis EE, Adriaanse AH, Schram A, Roovers JP, Lagro-Janssen AL, van der Vaart CH. Surgery versus physiotherapy for stress urinary incontinence. N Engl J Med. 2013;369(12):1124-33.
- Liem S, Schuit E, Hegeman M, Bais J, de Boer K, Bloemenkamp K, Brons J, Duvekot H, Bijvank BN, Franssen M, Gaugler I, de Graaf I, Oudijk M, Papatsonis D, Pernet P, Porath M, Scheepers L, Sikkema M, Sporken J, Visser H, van Wijngaarden W, Woiski M, van Pampus M, Mol BW, Bekedam D. Cervical pessaries for prevention of preterm birth in women with a multiple pregnancy (ProTWIN): a multicentre, open-label randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2013;382(9901):1341-9.
- Roos C, Spaanderman ME, Schuit E, Bloemenkamp KW, Bolte AC, Cornette J, Duvekot JJ, van Eyck J, Franssen MT, de Groot CJ, Kok JH, Kwee A, Merién A, Nij Bijvank B, Opmeer BC, Oudijk MA, van Pampus MG, Papatsonis DN, Porath MM, Scheepers HC, Scherjon SA, Sollie KM, Vijgen SM, Willekes C, Mol BW, van der Post JA, Lotgering FK; APOSTEL-II Study Group. Effect of maintenance tocolysis with nifedipine in threatened preterm labor on perinatal outcomes: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2013;309:41-7.
- Daniels JP, Middleton LJ, Champaneria R, Khan KS, Cooper K, Mol BW, Bhattacharya S; Second generation endometrial ablation techniques for heavy menstrual bleeding: network meta-analysis. International Heavy Menstrual Bleeding IPD Meta-analysis Collaborative Group.BMJ 2012;344:e2564.
- Verhaegen J, Gallos ID, van Mello NM, Abdel-Aziz M, Takwoingi Y, Harb H, Deeks JJ, Mol BW, Coomarasamy A. Accuracy of single progesterone test to predict early pregnancy outcome in women with pain or bleeding: meta-analysis of cohort studies. BMJ. 2012;345: [PubMed - in process]
- van der Ham DP, Vijgen SM, Nijhuis JG, van Beek JJ, Opmeer BC, Mulder AL, Moonen R, Groenewout M, van Pampus MG, Mantel GD, Bloemenkamp KW, van Wijngaarden WJ, Sikkema M, Haak MC, Pernet PJ, Porath M, Molkenboer JF, Kuppens S, Kwee A, Kars ME, Woiski M, Weinans MJ, Wildschut HI, Akerboom BM, Mol BW, Willekes C; PPROMEXIL trial group. Induction of labor versus expectant management in women with preterm prelabor rupture of membranes between 34 and 37 weeks: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS Med. 2012;9(4):e1001208.
- Thangaratinam S, Rogozinska E, Jolly K, Glinkowski S, Roseboom T, Tomlinson JW, Kunz R, Mol BW, Coomarasamy A, Khan KS. Effects of interventions in pregnancy on maternal weight and obstetric outcomes: meta-analysis of randomised evidence. BMJ. 2012;344:e2088.
- Jozwiak M, Oude Rengerink K, Benthem M, van Beek E, Dijksterhuis MGK, de Graaf IM, van Huizen ME, Oudijk MA, Papatsonis DNM, Perquin DAM, Porath M, van der Post JAM, Rijnders RJP, Scheepers HCJ, Spaanderman MEA, van Pampus MG, de Leeuw JW, Mol BW, Bloemenkamp KWM [Contributors: Doornbos H, Drogtrop A, de Groot C, Huisjes A, Kleiverda G, van Meir C, van der Salm P, Schuitemaker N]] , Foley catheter versus vaginal prostaglandin E2 gel for induction of labour at term (PROBAAT trial): an open-label, randomised controlled trial. LANCET 2012;378 (9809):2095-2103
- Boers KE, Vijgen SMC, Bijlenga D, van der Post JAM, Bekedam DJ, Kwee A, van der Salm PCM, van Pampus MG, Spaanderman MEA, de Boer K, Duvekot JJ, Bremer HA, Hasaart THM, Delemarre FMC, Bloemenkamp KWM, van Meir CA, Willekes C, Wijnen EJ, Rijken M, le Cessie S, Roumen FJME, Thornton JG, van Lith JMM, Mol BW, Scherjon SA, Induction versus expectant monitoring for intrauterine growth restriction at term: randomised equivalence trial (DIGITAT). BRIT MED J 2010;341:c7087
- McLernon DJ, Harrild K, Bergh C, Davies MJ, de Neubourg D, Dumoulin JCM, Gerris J, Kremer JAM, Martikainen H, Mol BW, Norman RJ, Thurin-Kjellberg A, Tiitinen A, van Montfoort APA, van Peperstraten AM, van Royen E, Bhattacharya S, Clinical effectiveness of elective single versus double embryo transfer: meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomised trials. BRIT MED J 2010;341:c6945
- Bakker JJH, Verhoeven CJM, Janssen PF, van Lith JM, van Oudgaarden ED, Bloemenkamp KWM, Papatsonis DNM, Mol BW, van der Post JAM, Outcomes after Internal versus External Tocodynamometry for Monitoring Labor. NEW ENGL J MED 2010;362 (4):306-313
- Kaandorp SP, Goddijn M, van der Post JAM, Hutten BA, Verhoeve HR, Hamulyák K, Mol BW, Folkeringa N, Nahuis M, Papatsonis DNM, Büller HR, van der Veen F, Middeldorp S, Aspirin plus heparin or aspirin alone in women with recurrent miscarriage. NEW ENGL J MED 2010;362 (17):1586-1596
- Koopmans CM, Bijlenga D, Groen H, Vijgen SM, Aarnoudse JG, Bekedam DJ, van den Berg PP, de Boer K, Burggraaff JM, Bloemenkamp KW, Drogtrop AP, Franx A, de Groot CJ, Huisjes AJ, Kwee A, van Loon AJ, Lub A, Papatsonis DN, van der Post JA, Roumen FJ, Scheepers HC, Willekes C, Mol BW, van Pampus MG, Induction of labour versus expectant monitoring for gestational hypertension or mild pre-eclampsia after 36 weeks' gestation (HYPITAT): a multicentre, open-label randomised controlled trial. LANCET 2009;374 (9694):979-988
- de Heus R, Mol BW, Erwich JJHM, van Geijn HP, Gyselaers WJ, Hanssens M, Härmark L, van Holsbeke CD, Duvekot JJ, Schobben FFAM, Wolf H, Visser GHA, Adverse drug reactions to tocolytic treatment for preterm labour: prospective cohort study. BRIT MED J 2009;338:b744.
- Custers IM, Flierman PA, Maas P, Cox T, van Dessel TJHM, Gerards MH, Mochtar MH, Janssen CAH, van der Veen F, Mol BW, Immobilisation versus immediate mobilisation after intrauterine insemination: randomised controlled trial. BRIT MED J 2009;339:b4080
- Cnossen JS, Morris RK, ter Riet G, Mol BW, van der Post JAM, Coomarasamy A, Zwinderman AH, Robson SC, Bindels PJE, Kleijnen J, Khan KS, Use of uterine artery Doppler ultrasonography to predict pre-eclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction: a systematic review and bivariable meta-analysis. CAN MED ASSOC J 2008;178 (6):701-711
- Cnossen JS, Vollebregt KC, de Vrieze N, ter Riet G, Mol BW, Franx A, Khan KS, van der Post JAM, Accuracy of mean arterial pressure and blood pressure measurements in predicting pre-eclampsia: systematic review and meta-analysis. BRIT MED J 2008;336 (7653):1117-1120
- Steures P, van der Steeg JW, Hompes PGA, Habbema JDF, Eijkemans MJC, Broekmans FJ, Verhoeve HR, Bossuyt PMM, van der Veen F, Mol BW, Intrauterine insemination with controlled ovarian hyperstimulation versus expectant management for couples with unexplained subfertility and an intermediate prognosis: a randomised clinical trial. LANCET 2006;368 (9531):216-221
- Bossuyt PM, Lijmer JG, Mol BW, Randomised comparisons of medical tests: sometimes invalid, not always efficient. LANCET 2000;356 (9244):1844-1847
- Dias Pereira G, Hajenius PJ, Mol BW, Ankum WM, Hemrika DJ, Bossuyt PM, van der Veen F, Fertility outcome after systemic methotrexate and laparoscopic salpingostomy for tubal pregnancy. LANCET 1999;353 (9154):724-725
- Lijmer JG, Mol BW, Heisterkamp S, Bonsel GJ, Prins MH, van der Meulen JH, Bossuyt PM, Empirical evidence of design-related bias in studies of diagnostic tests. JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC 1999;282 (11):1061-1066
- Mol BW. Nuchal translucency, cardiac defects and Down's syndrome. -Editorial- BMJ 1999;318:70-1
- Hajenius PJ, Engelsbel S, Mol BW, van der Veen F, Ankum WM, Bossuyt PM, Hemrika DJ, Lammes FB, Randomised trial of systemic methotrexate versus laparoscopic salpingostomy in tubal pregnancy. LANCET 1997;350 (9080):774-779
- Editorial Board of "Evidence Based Obstetrics and Gynaecology" (2004-2008)
- Regular reviewer for Human Reproduction, RBM Online, British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Incidental reviewer for Fertility and Sterility, The Lancet, Epidemiology, BMJ, NEJM
- Participant in the Cochrane review groups ‘treatment of tubal pregnancy' and ‘anticoagulant prophylaxis for the prevention of thromboembolism in gynaecological surgery'.
- Editor for the Cochrane Menstrual Disorders and Subfertilty group (2006 - current)
- Associate editor of Human Reproduction Update (2011 - current)
- Editor of Journal of Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicineicine (2012 - current)
- Member of the advisory board of the Finnisch Health Academy. May 2009
- Member of the advisory board of the Flamish Health Authority. 2010 - 2012
- Co-founder and Chair of Global Obstetric network
- Member of scientific board of the European Congress of Perinatal Medicine, 2012
- Editorial Board of "Tijdschrift voor Fertiliteits Onderzoek" (membership)
- President of the faculty of "Evidence-based Obstetrics and Gynaecology", a course on application of Evidence Based Medicine in Obstetrics and Gynaecology for Consultants in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Organiser and principle lecturer of several day-courses in the application of Evidence Based Medicine in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Chair of the board of the guideline program of the Dutch society for Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Member of the scientific commmitee of the Dutch society for Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Member of the scientific committee of the Dutch society for Obstetrics and Gynaecology (2004-2009)
- Member of panels for ZonMW, Dutch funder of health care research
- Co-founder and Chair
- ESHRE (2003 current)
- NVOG (1998 - current)
- SMFM (2011 - current)
- Society for Clinical Trials (2012 - current)
Categories Medicine & Medical Research, Science & Technology Expertise Pregnancy and Child Birth; Obstetrics and Gynaecology; twin or multiple pregnancy; Cost of health care; issues with assisted reproduction Mobile +61 434 122 170 After hours +61 434 122 170
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Sunday, 21 Apr 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/ben.mol