Professor Grant Townsend
|Position||Professor of Dental Science|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5968|
Adelaide Health and Medical Sciences Building
- BDS (The Univeristy of Adelaide) 1972 - Topped all years
- BScDent (Hons) (The University of Adelaide) 1973, 1st Class
- PhD (The University of Adelaide) 1976
- DDSc (The University of Adelaide) 1994
- BDS (The Univeristy of Adelaide) 1972 - Topped all years
PublicationsBOOK CHAPTERS AND CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS 2001 - 2005
- WINNING TA and TOWNSEND GC 2001 ANZDENTAL: A multi-school network for developing and sharing of PBL packages. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Problem-based Learning in Dental Education, Malmo, Sweden.
- TOWNSEND GC, WINNING T, WETHERELL J, MULLINS G and GREENWOOD F 2001 Evaluation of the Adelaide PBL dental curriculum - the value of a dental school teaching portfolio. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Problem-based Learning in Dental Education, Malmo, Sweden.
- BROWN T and TOWNSEND G 2001 Dentofacial morphology, growth and genetics: a study of Australian Aborigines. In: Perspectives in Human Growth, Development and Maturation (eds) P Dasgupta and RC Hauspie, Kluver Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp 109-122.
- HUGHES T, RICHARDS L and TOWNSEND G 2001 Dental arch form in young Australian twins. In: Dental Morphology 2001, (ed) A Brook, Sheffield, UK pp. 309-319
- LEKKAS D, TOWNSEND G, WINNING T and MULLINS G 2001 Experiences of dental students undertaking a hybrid PBL course. Proceedings of the 3rd Asia Pacific Conference on PBL, Yeppoon, Queensland, pp 244-265.
- TOWNSEND G, WINNING T, MULLINS G, WETHERELL J and GREENWOOD F 2001 Problem-based learning in dentistry – the Adelaide Experience: what type of person do you want as your dentist? Proceedings of the 3rd Asia Pacific Conference on PBL, Yeppoon, Queensland, pp 416-424.
- SKINNER V, WINNING T and TOWNSEND G 2001 Using concept maps to investigate changes in the organization and integrate of students’ knowledge. Refereed Proceedings of the Power of Problem-based Learning (eds) P Little and P Kandlebinder, pp 134-148.
- TOWNSEND G and WINNING T 2004 Adult dental problems – part 1, and Dental problems in children and young adolescents – part 2. In: Australian Doctor’s How to Treat, Yearbook 2004, (ed) N Meehan, Elsevier, pp117-128.
- TOWNSEND G and WINNING T 2005 Anatomy of the oral cavity and dentition, Chapters 16-26. In: Textbook of Oral and Maxillofacial Anatomy, Histology, and Embryology. (ed) SR Prabhu, Oxford University Press, pp 91-154.
- LIVERSIDGE H and TOWNSEND G 2005 Tooth formation in Australian Aborigines. In: Current trends in dental morphology research. E. Zadzinska (ed), Refereed proceedings, 13th international Symposium on Dental Morphology, University of Lodz, Poland, pp 405-410.
- MAYHALL J and TOWNSEND G 2005 The changing crown morphology of maxillary first molars and its effect on the efficiency of mastication. In: Current trends in dental morphology research. E. Zadzinska (ed), Refereed proceedings, 13th international Symposium on Dental Morphology, University of Lodz, Poland, pp 97-104.
- TOWNSEND G, HUGHES T and RICHARDS L 2005 The dentitions of monozygotic twin pairs: focusing on the differences rather than the similarities. In: Current trends in dental morphology research. E. Zadzinska (ed), Refereed proceedings, 13th international Symposium on Dental Morphology, University of Lodz, Poland, pp 337-352.
- TOMO S, TOMO I, TOWNSEND G and HIRATA K 2005 The masticatory muscles of the Japanese Monkey Macaca fuscata. Proceedings of the XVIIIth International Primatological Society Congress, Adelaide, Australia, pp 1-10.
- MULLINS G, WETHERELL J, TOWNSEND G, WINNING T and GREENWOOD F 2001 Problem-Based Learning in Dentistry: The Adelaide Experience Dental School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 171 pp. 2nd printing, David Lovell Publishing, Ringwood, 2003
- RICHARDS LC and TOWNSEND GC (eds) 2001 Proceedings of the T Draper Campbell Symposium Craniofacial Biology Research Group, Dental School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide University, Australia.
- RICHARDS LC, TOWNSEND GC and KAIDONIS J 2003 Assessing Tooth Wear. Dental School, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 24pp.
- TOWNSEND G 2004 Learning Anatomy Applied to Dentistry: an Enjoyable Journey Dental School, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 236pp.
- GARG A and TOWNSEND G 2001 Anatomical variation of the sphenomandibular ligament. Aust Endo J 27:22-24.
- BELL E, TOWNSEND G, WILSON D, KIESER J and HUGHES T 2001 Effect of Down syndrome on the dimensions of dental crowns and tissues. Am J Hum Biol 13:690-698.
- DEMPSEY P and TOWNSEND GC 2001 Genetic and environmental contributions to variation in human tooth size. Heredity 86:685-693.
- WETHERELL J, RICHARDS L, SAMBROOK P and TOWNSEND G 2001 Management of acute dental pain: a practical approach for primary health care providers. Aust Prescriber 24(6):144-148.
- HUGHES T, THOMAS C and TOWNSEND G 2001 A study of occlusal variation in the primary dentition of Australian twins and singletons. Archs oral Biol 46:857-864.
- BENNETT S and TOWNSEND G 2001 Distribution of the mylohyoid nerve: anatomical variability and clinical implications. Aust Endo J 27(3):109-111.
- NAKAHARA S, KAMEDA T, TAKAHASHI M, KAMEDA A and TOWNSEND GC 2001 Re-examining occlusal changes in the development of the Australian Aboriginal dentition – what have we learned as orthodontists? Orthodontic Waves 60:347-353.
- McKENNA C, JAMES H, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2002 Tooth development standards for South Australia. Aust Dent J 47:223-227.
- BELL E, KAIDONIS J and TOWNSEND G 2002 Tooth wear in children with Down syndrome. Aust Dent J 47:30-35.
- RANJITKAR S, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2002 A radiographic assessment of the prevalence of pulp stones in Australians. Aust Dent J 47:36-40.
- TOMO S, TOMO I, NAKAJIMA K, TOWNSEND G and HIRATA K 2002 Comparative anatomy of the buccinator muscle in cat (Felis domestica). Anat Rec 267:78-86.
- HUGHES T, RICHARDS LC and TOWNSEND G 2002 Form, symmetry and asymmetry of the dental arch: orthogonal analysis revisited. Dent Anthrop 16:3-8.
- REED M, CLAFFEY N, ALLEN B, BEELEY J, BEEMSTERBOER P, CARRASSI A, FILIPPI E, LICARI F, MUNCK C, NAGY G, RASS MA, SANZ M, SEKIGUCHI E and TOWNSEND G 2002 Toward global convergence of education, training, quality, outcome and assessment. Europ J Dent Educ 6 (Suppl 3):78-83.
- SYMONS A, HUGHES T and TOWNSEND GC 2002 Dental characteristics of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Dent Child Sept-Dec:277-283.
- KAIDONIS J, GRATIAEN J, BHATIA N, RICHARDS L and TOWNSEND G 2003 Tooth wear prevention: a quantitative and qualitative in vitro study. Aust Dent J 48:15-19.
- TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS LC, HUGHES T, PINKERTON S and SCHWERDT W 2003 The value of twins in dental research Aust Dent J 48:82-88.
- DIAMANTI J and TOWNSEND G 2003 New standards for permanent tooth emergence in Australian children Aust Dent J 48:39-42.
- TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L and HUGHES T 2003 Molar intercuspal dimensions: genetic input to phenotypic variation. J Dent Res 82:350-355.
- TOWNSEND GC 2003 Comment on the paper Can biomedical science be made relevant in dental education? Eur J Dent Educ 7:56-59.
- KIESER J, TOWNSEND G and QUICK A 2003 The Down syndrome patient in dental practice, part 1: Pathogenesis and general and dental features. New Zealand Dent J 99:5-9.
- KAIFU Y, KASAI K, TOWNSEND G and RICHARDS L 2003 Tooth wear and the design of the human dentition: a perspective from evolutionary medicine. Yearbook Phys Anthropol 46:47-61.
- GRAVE K and TOWNSEND GC 2003 Cervical vertebral maturation as a predictor of the adolescent growth spurt. Aust Orthod J 19:25-32.
- TOWNSEND GC AND WINNING T 2003 Adult dental problems–part 1. Australian Doctor, How to Treat, 18th July:29-36.
- TOWNSEND GC AND WINNING T 2003 Dental problems in children and adolescents–part 2. Australian Doctor, How to Treat, 25h July:29-36.
- RICHARDS LC, KAIDONIS J and TOWNSEND SC 2003 A model for the prediction of tooth wear in individuals. Aust Dent J 48:259-262.
- CORRUCCINI RS and TOWNSEND GC 2003 Decline in enamel hypoplasia in relation to fluoridation in Australians. Am J Hum Biol 15:795-799.
- GRAVE K and TOWNSEND GC 2003 Hand-wrist and cervical vertebral maturation indicators – how can these events be used to time Class 11 treatments? Aust Orthodont J 19:33-45.
- WINNING T, SKINNER V, TOWNSEND G, DRUMMOND B and KIESER J 2004 Developing problem-based learning packages internationally: an evaluation of outcomes. Internat Educ Teach Innov 41:125-144.
- GAGLIARDI A, WINNING T, KAIDONIS J, HUGHES T and TOWNSEND G 2004 Association of frontal sinus development with somatic and skeletal maturation in Aboriginal Australians: a longitudinal study. Homo, J Comp Hum Biol 55:39-52.
- WETHERELL J, WINNING T and TOWNSEND GC 2004 Localized asymmetry in human dental crown form – an interesting case Dent Anthropol 17:18-23.
- KONDO S and TOWNSEND GC 2004 Sexual dimorphism in crown components of mandibular deciduous and permanent molars in Australian Aborigines. Homo, J Comp Hum Biol 55:53-64.
- TOWNSEND GC and WINNING T 2004 Guest editorial: Problem-based learning: 3rd International Symposium. Eur J Dent Educ 8:49-50.
- CORRUCCINI RS, TOWNSEND GC and SCHWERDT W 2005 Correspondence between enamel hypoplasia and odontometric bilateral asymmetry in Australian twins. Am J Phys Anthropol 126:177-182.
- APPS M, HUGHES T and TOWNSEND G 2004 The effect of birthweight on tooth size variability in twins. Twin Res 7:415-420.
- EGUCHI S, TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L, HUGHES T and KASAI K 2004 Genetic contribution to dental arch size variation in Australian twins. Arch Oral Biol 49:1015-1024.
- WINNING T, LIM E and TOWNSEND GC 2005 Student experiences of assessment in two problem-based dental curricula: Adelaide and Dublin. Assess Eval Higher Educ 30:489-505.
- LIU P, RANJITKAR S, KAIDONIS J, TOWNSEND G and RICHARDS LC 2004 A system for the acquisition and analysis of three-dimensional data describing dental morphology. Dent Anthrop 17(3): 70-74.
- TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L, HUGHES T, PINKERTON S and SCHWERDT W 2005 Epigenetic influences may explain dental differences in monozygotic twin pairs. Aust Dent J 50:95-100.
- LITTLETON J and TOWNSEND G 2005 Linear enamel hypoplasia and historical change in central Australia. Aust Dent J 50: 101-107.
- EGUCHI S, TOWNSEND G, RICHARDS L, HUGHES T and KASAI K 2004 Genetic and environmental contributions to variation in the inclination of human mandibular molars. Orthod Waves 63: 95-100.
- CHRISTO J, BENNETT S, WILKINSON T and TOWNSEND G 2005 Discal attachments of the human temporomandibular joint. Aust Dent J 50: 152-160.
- KONDO S, TOWNSEND G and KANAZAWA E 2005 Size relationships among permanent mandibular molars in Aboriginal Australians and Papua New Guinea Highlanders. Am J Hum Biol 17:622-633.
- KONDO S, TOWNSEND G and YAMADA H 2005 Sexual dimorphism of cusp dimensions in human maxillary molars. Am J Phys Anthropol 128: 870-877.
- GRAVE K and TOWNSEND G 2005 A retrospective assessment of a group of Class II non-extraction treatments. World J Orthodont 6:331-342.
- KONDO S and TOWNSEND G 2006 Associations between Carabelli trait and cusp areas in human permanent maxillary first molars. Am J Phys Anthropol 129:196-203.
- NETHERWAY D, ABBOTT AH, GULAMHUSEINWALA N, McGLAUGHLIN K, ANDERSON P, TOWNSEND G and DAVID D 2006 Three-dimensional computed tomography cephalometry of plagiocephaly: asymmetry and shape analysis. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(2):201-210.
- RAJION Z, TOWNSEND G, NETHERWAY D, ANDERSON P, YUSOF A, HUGHES T, SHUIAB I, HALIM A, SAMSUDIN A and DAVID D 2006 A three-dimensional computed tomographic analysis of the cervical spine in unoperated infants with cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(5):513-518.
- RACE JP, TOWNSEND GC and HUGHES TE 2006 Chorion type, birth weight discordance and tooth-size variability in Australian monozygotic twins. Twin Research and Human Genetics 9(2):285-291.
- TOWNSEND G, HUGHES T and RICHARDS LC 2006 Gaining new insights into how genetic factors influence human dental development by studying twins. Int J Anthropol 21:67-74.
- LEW K and TOWNSEND G 2006 Failure to obtain adequate anaesthesia associated with a bifid mandibular canal: a case report. Aust Dent J 51:86-90.
- DOOLAND K, TOWNSEND G and KAIDONIS J 2006 Prevalence and side preference for tooth grinding in twins. Aust Dent J 51(3):219-224.
- RANJITKAR S, LIN NH, MACDONALD R, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2006 Stature and skeletal maturation of two cohorts of Austrlain children and young adults over the past two decades. Aust Ortho J 22:47-58.
- LIN NH, RANJITKAR S, MACDONALD R, HUGHES T, TAYLOR J and TOWNSEND G 2006 New growth references for assessment of stature and skeletal maturation in Australians. Aust Ortho J 22:1-10.
- RAJION Z, TOWNSEND G, NETHERWAY D, ANDERSON P, HUGHES T, SHUIAB I, HALIM A, SAMSUDIN A, McLEAN N and DAVID D 2006 The hyoid bone in Malay infants with cleft lip and palate. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43(5):532-538.
- KHAMIS MF, TAYLOR JA, SAMSUDIN AR and TOWNSEND GC 2006 Variation in crown morphology in Malaysian populations. Dent Anthropol (In press)
- WINNING T and TOWNSEND G 2006 Problem-based learning (PBL) in dental education:what’s the evidence for and against … and it is worth the effort? Aust Dent J (In press)
- TOWNSEND GC, RICHARDS LC, MESSER L, HUGHES T, PINKERTON S, SEOW K, GOTJAMANOS T, GULLY N and BOCKMANN M 2006 Genetic and environmental influences on dentofacial structures and oral health: studies of Australian twins and their families. Twin Research and Human Genetics (In press)
- TOMO S, TOMO I, TOWNSEND G and HIRATA K 2006 Tooth size, occlusal curvatures and molar progression in macropodids. Proceedings of the Australian Mammalogy Society (submitted)
- KHAMIS MF, TAYLOR J, SAMSUDIN AR and TOWNSEND G 2006 Dental metric variation in populations from the Malaysian Peninsula. Int J Dent Anthropol (in preparation)
- TOWNSEND G 2006 Comparing identical twin pairs – a research model for busy clinicians. Dental Insights 19: 11-13.
- YAMADA H, KONDO S, HANAMURA H and TOWNSEND G 2006 Compensatory tooth size interactions in individuals with hypodontia. Archs Oral Biol (to be submitted)
- LAW V, SEOW K and TOWNSEND G 2006 Factors influencing oral colonization of mutans streptococci in young children. Aust Dent J (submitted)
- TOWNSEND G and WINNING T 2006 Problem-based learning in a professional school: fighting against the tide to maintain quality. International Union of Schools of Oral Health, Newsletter 18:30-35.
- TOMO S, TOMO I, TOWNSEND G, HIRATA K 2006 The masticatory muscles of the Great-Grey Kangaroo (Macropus giganteus). Anat Record (in press)
- SKINNER V, WINNING T, TOWNSEND G and MULLINS 2006 Dental students perceptions of their problem-based learning environment. HERDSA News 28(2):19-21.
- NARAYANA T, RANJITKAR S, KAIDONIS J, TOWNSEND G and RICHARDS L 2006 Wear prevention in dentine: an in vitro study. J Dent (to be submitted)
- HUGHES T, BOCKMANN M, SEOW K, GOTJAMANOS T, GULLY N, RICHARDS L and TOWNSEND G 2006 Strong genetic control of emergence of human primary incisors. J Dent Res (submitted)
- Australian Dental Association, 1973-82, 88-
- International Association for Dental Research, 1973-
- IADR, Craniofacial Biology Group, 1989-
- Dental Education Research Group, 1996-
- The Assoc’n of Australian and New Zealand University Dental School Teachers, 1977-1993
- Australian Society of Periodontology, 1973-80
- Australasian Association of Schools of Dentistry, 1994-
- Human Genetics Society of Australia, 1973-80
- Pacific Science Association, 1991-1999
- International Association of Human Biologists, 1978-
- American Association of Physical Anthropologists, 1978-
- Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine Study Group, 1973-74
- Forensic Science Society, 1973-76, 1980-87
- Australian and New Zealand Forensic Science Society, 1988-1995
- Fellow of the Human Biology Council, 1981-
- New York Academy of Sciences, 1982-94
- Dental Anthropological Association, 1990-
Categories Dentistry Expertise Development of teeth; teeth development; teeth twins; teeth; dentistry; twins (development of teeth) Notes Alt phone: (08) 8303 5256
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Sunday, 27 May 2018
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/grant.townsend