Dr Gretel Png
|Position||Postdoctoral Research Fellow|
|Org Unit||School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 4119|
** This page is still work in progress **
Since March 2012, I have been an ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) Postdoctoral Research Fellow. I am interested in peptides (short chains of amino acid) that are associated with amyloidosis (e.g., Alzheimer's disease, Type II diabetes). I study these peptides with terahertz/far infrared radiation. I would like to know if these peptides can be used as an early detection marker for some of the diseases in the class of amyloidosis.
I work Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays (and soon also on Fridays). On Thursdays, I research playgrounds with my boisterous little one. You can usually find us at one of the many awesome playgrounds in Adelaide.
I received my PhD degree in 2010 in Adelaide, Australia; my MSc degree in 2003 in California, USA; my BEng degree in 1997 in Edinburgh, Scotland. In between my degrees, I worked in industry as an electrical engineer in Asia, Scandinavia, and the Middle East. I have been very lucky to have seen and experienced first hand so many countries, diverse cultures, and languages in my life.
PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Adelaide
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (by coursework), University of California at Irvine, USA
Graduate Certificate in University Studies, University of California at Irvine, USA
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Electrical Engineering (with first class honours), The University of Edinburgh, UK
...and I am (slowly) working towards my
Graduate Certificate in Education, The University of Adelaide
Awards & Achievements
2012 Letter of commendation from the Chief Scientist for South Australia for quality of PhD research
2011 ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
2010 Letter of commendation from the Dean of Graduate Studies (The University of Adelaide) for quality of Thesis
2010 Faculty and School winner of the Three-Minute Thesis (3MT) competition, The University of Adelaide
2009 ICAVS/ACOVS Conference Student Bursary
2008 Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) South Australia Travel Award
2008 Jack Loader Research Scholarship (for research into Alzheimer's disease)
2008 Australian Federation of University Women (AFUW) Fellowship
2008 Australian Federation of University Women-South Australia (AFUW-SA) Barbara Crase Bursary
2008 Finalist of the Google Australia and New Zealand Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship
2008 Walter and Dorothy Duncan Trust, The University of Adelaide
2007 Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) J R Beard Travel Award
2007 AFUW-SA Daphne Elliott Bursary
2007 International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) Educational Scholarship
2006 AUGU/RC Heddle Award, The University of Adelaide
2006 International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) Educational Scholarship
2005 Research Abroad Scholarship, The University of Adelaide
2005 Mutual Community Postgraduate Travel Grant, The University of Adelaide
2004 Cooperative Research Centre for Sensor Signal and Information Processing Scholarship, Australia
2004 Excellence in Teaching and Teaching Assistant Mentoring Award, University of California at Irvine, USA
2003 Australian Postgraduate Award (for commencement of studies in 2004)
2003 National Partnership for Advanced Computational Infrastructure Research Assistantship Grant, USA
1997 Harold Dickinson Memorial Prize for Outstanding Dissertation Studies, The University of Edinburgh, UK
Signal and Systems, Digital Signal Processing, first year Electrical Engineering, Electromagnetics, Electronics
Terahertz/Far infrared protein spectroscopy, Alzheimer's disease, medical imaging, computational electromagnetics, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education, edutainment in engineering education, educating e-learners
Selected Refereed Journal Publications
1) G. M. Png, C. Fumeaux, M. R. Stringer, R.E. Miles and D. Abbott. "Terahertz scattering by subwavelength cylindrical arrays," Optics Express, 19(10), pp. 10138-10152, 2011. Selected for publishing in the Virtual Journal of Biomedical Optics, 6(6), 2011.
2) G. M. Png, R. J. Falconer, B. M. Fischer, H. A. Zakaria, S. P. Mickan, A. P. J. Middelberg and D. Abbott. "Terahertz spectroscopic differentiation of microstructures in protein gels," Optics Express, 17(15), pp. 13102-13115, 2009. Selected for publishing in the Virtual Journal of Biomedical Optics, 4(9), 2009.
3) G. M. Png, R. Flook, B. W.-H. Ng, and D. Abbott. "Terahertz spectroscopy of snap-frozen human brain tissue: an initial study," Electronics Letters, 45(7), pp. 343-345, 2009.
4) G. M. Png, J.-W. Choi, B. W.-H. Ng, S. P. Mickan, D. Abbott, and X.-C. Zhang. "The impact of hydration changes in fresh bio-tissue on THz spectroscopic measurements," Physics in Medicine and Biology, 53(13), pp. 3501-3517, 2008.
5) W. Withayachumnankul, G. M. Png, X. Yin, S. Atakaramians, I. Jones, H. Lin, B. S. Y. Ung, J. Balakrishnan, B. W.-H. Ng, B. Ferguson, S. P. Mickan, B. M. Fischer, and D. Abbott, "T-ray sensing and imaging," Proceedings of the IEEE, 95(8), pp. 1528-1558, 2007. (Invited).
Selected Conference Publications
1) G. M. Png, R. Flook, B. W.-H. Ng, and D. Abbott. "Terahertz spectroscopy of misfolded proteins in biotissue," Proceedings 34th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), Busan, South Korea, article number 0506, 2009. (Invited keynote)
2) G. M. Png, M. Stringer, B. W.-H. Ng, D. Abbott, and R. Miles. "Orientation dependence of THz scattering from cylindrical strands," Proceedings 33rd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), Pasadena, USA, article number 1380, 2008.
3) G. M. Png, B. W.-H. Ng, J.-W. Choi, X.-C. Zhang, and D. Abbott. "Influence of surface clutter on THz spectroscopy of skin," Proceedings Joint 32nd International Conference on Infrared and Millimetre Waves, and 15th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics (IRMMW-THz), Cardiff, UK, pp. 565-566, 2007.
4) G. M. Png, B. W.-H. Ng, S. P. Mickan, D. Abbott, J.-W. Choi, S. Sengupta, and I. Wilke. "Creams and oils: Possible THz coupling media for rough surfaces?," Proceedings Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared and MillimetreWaves, and 14th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics (IRMMW-THz), Shanghai, China, pp. 445, 2006.
5) G. M. Png, S. P. Mickan, and D. Abbott. "The potential use of T-rays in diagnosing the head and brain," Proceedings International Workshop on Terahertz Technology, Osaka, Japan, pp. 99-100, 2005.
6) G. M. Png, S. P. Mickan, and D. Abbott. "Simulation of terahertz radiation in stratified media," Proceedings SPIE Photonics: Design Technology, and Packaging II, Brisbane, Australia, 6038, article number 60380M, 2005.
7) T. Rainsford, G. M. Png, W. Withayachumnankul, B. Ferguson, S. P. Mickan, and D. Abbott, "T-rays in biomedicine and security," Proceedings IEEE Lasers & Electro-Optics Society (LEOS) Annual Meeting, Sydney, Australia, pp.116-117, 2005. (Invited)
Invited Talks and Non-Refereed Conferences
1) G. M. Png, "From Celestial Bodies to Human Bodies: Unlocking their Secrets with Terahertz," IEEE-SA Women in Engineering Affinity Group Seminar, Adelaide, Australia, 12 May 2010.
2) G. M. Png, R. Flook, B. W.-H. Ng, and D. Abbott. "Terahertz spectroscopy of protein deposits in human brain tissue: an initial study," 5th International Conference on Advanced Vibrational Spectroscopy/8th Australian Conference on Vibrational Spectroscopy, Melbourne, Australia, pp. 104, 2009.
3) G. M. Png, R. Flook, B. W.-H. Ng, and D. Abbott. "An initial study of terahertz spectroscopy of human brain tissue," Alzheimer's Australia National Conference, Adelaide, Australia, pp. 51, 2009.
4) G. M. Png, "T-rays for life," Electrical Joint Technical Program, IEEE-IET-TSA-Engineers Australia, Adelaide, Australia, 19 May 2009.
IEEE (1998-present), IET (1998-2009), Women In Engineering (WIE) member (2010-present), International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) member (2005-2008), member of the Australian Research Council Nanotechnology Network (ARCNN)
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) teaching in primary and high schools; programs to encourage girls to consider studying engineering and/or science at University; sustainability; histories of mathematics and science
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 29 Mar 2022
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/gretel.png@student