Dr Jayakumar Bose
|Org Unit||School of Agriculture, Food and Wine|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 6665|
Plant Research Centre
PhD in Agriculture at the University of Western Australia (UWA), Perth, Australia (2011)
Master of Science in Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore, India (2004)
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore, India (2002)
Ion signalling and transport mechanisms across plasma membrane, chloroplasts and stomata under abiotic stresses such as soil acidity, salinity, drought and water logging
Electrophysiology- Micro-electrode Ion Flux Estimation (MIFE®) technique
Nutrient acquisition and long-distance transport in plants
Pre-breeding screening for abiotic stresses
Physiological adaptations in extremophiles
Awarded Teaching Internship by the University of Western Australia, Perth (2007-2008).
Awarded Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (EIPRS) and University Postgraduate Award (UPA) by the University of Western Australia to do PhD in Agriculture (2006-2010).
Awarded student Junior Research Fellowship by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines for pursuing Master degree at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore (2003-2004).
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the School of Land and Food, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia (October 2010-March 2015).
Research Assistant at the School of Earth and Environment, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia (April 2010-October 2010).
Senior Research Fellow at the Remote Sensing Unit of Dept. of Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, India (2005-2006).
Senior Research Fellow at the Water Technology Centre, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, India (2004-2005).
Developed and delivered lectures and practicals for Plant Physiology unit at the University of Tasmania (2011-2014)
Organised training for School teachers - Part of SPICE program at the University of Western Australia (2010)
Lab demonstration and field excursion for Earth Surface Processes and Soils unit at the University of Western Australia (2009-2010)
Developed and delivered lectures and practicals for Honours Orientation program (Statistics)at the University of Western Australia (2007-2010)
Developed and delivered lectures, tutorials and lab demonstrations for Soil Biology and Plant Nutrition unit at the University of Western Australia(2007-2010)
Designed interactive website for Soil Biology and Plant Nutrition unit at the University of Western Australia (2007-2010)
1. Bose J, Rodrigo-Moreno A, Lai D, Xie Y, Shen W, Shabala S. 2015. Rapid regulation of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase activity contributes to salinity tolerance in two halophyte species, Atriplex lentiformis and Chenopodium quinoa. Annals of Botany 115(3): 481-494. doi: 10.1093/aob/mcu219
2. Jayakannan M, Bose J, Babourina O, Rengel Z, Shabala S. 2015. Salicylic acid in plant salinity stress signalling and tolerance. Plant Growth Regulation 76(1): 25-40. doi: 10.1007/s10725-015-0028-z
3. Jayakannan M, Bose J, Babourina O, Shabala S, Massart A, Poschenrieder C, Rengel Z. 2015. NPR1-dependent salicylic acid signalling pathway is pivotal for enhanced salt and oxidative stress tolerance in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 66 (7): 1865-1875. doi: 10.1093/jxb/eru528
4. Wu H, Shabala L, Azzarello E, Pandolfi C, Bose J, Chen Z-h, Zhou M, Mancuso S, Shabala S. 2015. Linking salinity stress tolerance with tissue-specific Na+ sequestration in wheat roots. Frontiers in Plant Science 6: 71. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00071
5. Bose J, Rodrigo-Moreno A, Shabala S. 2014. ROS homeostasis in halophytes in the context of salinity stress tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 65 (5): 1241-1257. doi: 10.1093/jxb/ert430
6. Bose J, Shabala L, Pottosin I, Zeng F, Velarde-BuendÍA A-M, Massart A, Poschenrieder C, Hariadi Y, Shabala S. 2014. Kinetics of xylem loading, membrane potential maintenance, and sensitivity of K+-permeable channels to reactive oxygen species: physiological traits that differentiate salinity tolerance between pea and barley. Plant, Cell & Environment 37(3): 589-600. doi: 10.1111/pce.12180
7. Percey WJ, Shabala L, Breadmore MC, Guijt RM, Bose J, Shabala S. 2014. Ion transport in broad bean leaf mesophyll under saline conditions. Planta 240(4): 729-743.
8. Pottosin I, Velarde-Buendía AM, Bose J, Fuglsang AT, Shabala S. 2014. Polyamines depolarize the membrane and initiate a cross-talk between plasma membrane Ca2+ and H+ pumps. Biophysical Journal 106(2): 586a.
9. Pottosin I, Velarde-Buendía AM, Bose J, Fuglsang AT, Shabala S. 2014. Polyamines cause plasma membrane depolarization, activate Ca2+-, and modulate H+-ATPase pump activity in pea roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 65(9): 2463-2472. doi: 10.1093/jxb/eru133
10. Pottosin I, Velarde-Buendía AM, Bose J, Zepeda-Jazo I, Shabala S, Dobrovinskaya O. 2014. Cross-talk between reactive oxygen species and polyamines in regulation of ion transport across the plasma membrane: implications for plant adaptive responses. Journal of Experimental Botany 65(5): 1271-1283. doi: 10.1093/jxb/ert423
11. Shabala S, Bose J, Hedrich R. 2014. Salt bladders: do they matter? Trends in Plant Science 19(11): 687-691. doi: 10.1016/j.tplants.2014.09.001
12. Bose J, Babourina O, Shabala S, Rengel Z. 2013. Low-pH and aluminium resistance in Arabidopsis correlates with high cytosolic magnesium content and increased magnesium uptake by plant roots. Plant and Cell Physiology 54(7): 1093-1104. doi: 10.1093/pcp/pct064
13. Bose J, Xie Y, Shen W, Shabala S. 2013. Haem oxygenase modifies salinity tolerance in Arabidopsis by controlling K+ retention via regulation of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase and by altering SOS1 transcript levels in roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 64(2): 471-481. doi: 10.1093/jxb/ers343
14. Jayakannan M, Bose J, Babourina O, Rengel Z, Shabala S. 2013. Salicylic acid improves salinity tolerance in Arabidopsis by restoring membrane potential and preventing salt-induced K+ loss via a GORK channel. Journal of Experimental Botany 64(8): 2255-2268. doi: 10.1093/jxb/ert085
15. Bose J, Babourina O, Rengel Z. 2011. Role of magnesium in alleviation of aluminium toxicity in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 62(7): 2251-2264. doi: 10.1093/jxb/erq456
16. Bose J, Pottosin I, Shabala SS, Palmgren MG, Shabala S. 2011. Calcium efflux systems in stress signalling and adaptation in plants. Frontiers in Plant Science 2: 85. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2011.00085
17. Cuin TA, Bose J, Stefano G, Jha D, Tester M, Mancuso S, Shabala S. 2011. Assessing the role of root plasma membrane and tonoplast Na+/H+ exchangers in salinitytolerance in wheat: in planta quantification methods. Plant, Cell & Environment 34(6): 947-961. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3040.2011.02296.x
18. Zepeda-Jazo I, Velarde-Buendía AM, Enríquez-Figueroa R, Bose J, Shabala S, Muñiz-Murguía J, Pottosin I. 2011. Polyamines interact with hydroxyl radicals in activating Ca2+ and K+ transport across the root epidermal plasma membranes. Plant Physiology 157(4): 2167-2180. doi: 10.1104/pp.111.179671
19. Bose J, Babourina O, Shabala S, Rengel Z. 2010. Aluminium-induced ion transport in Arabidopsis: the relationship between Al tolerance and root ion flux. Journal of Experimental Botany 61(11): 3163-3175. doi: 10.1093/jxb/erq143
20. Bose J, Babourina O, Shabala S, Rengel Z. 2010. Aluminum dependent dynamics of ion transport in Arabidopsis: specificity of low pH and aluminum responses. Physiologia Plantarum 139(4): 401-412. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3054.2010.01377.x
21. Bose J, Rengel Z. 2009. A Model formative assessment strategy to promote student-centered self-regulated learning in higher education. US-China Education Review 6(12): 29-35.
22. Maheswari J, Bose J, Sangeetha SP, Sanjutha S, Priya RS. 2008. Irrigation regimes and N levels influence chlorophyll, leaf area index, proline and soluble protein content of aerobic rice(Oryza sativa L.). International Journal of Agricultural Research 3(4): 307-316.
23. Nachimuthu G, Velu V, Malarvizhi P, Ramasamy S, Bose J. 2007. Relationship between index leaf nitrogen and Leaf Colour Chart (LCC) values in direct wet seeded rice (Oryza sativa L.). Asian Journal of Plant Sciences 6(3): 477-483.
24. Bose J, Subathra C, Velu V, Ramanathan S. 2005. Effect of integrated crop management practices on rice (Oryza sativa L.) root volume and rhizosphere redox potential. Journal of Agronomy 4(4): 311-314.
1. Adem GD, Bose J, Zhou M, Shabala S. 2015. Targeting vacuolar sodium sequestration in plant breeding for salinity tolerance In: Sh W, Ma H, eds. Managing salinity tolerance in plants: molecular and genomic perspectives: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, (in press)
2. Bose J, Babourina O, Ma Y, Zhou M, Shabala S, Rengel Z. 2015. Specificity of ion uptake and homeostasis maintenance during acid and aluminium stresses. In: Panda S, Baluška F, eds. Aluminium stress adaptation in plants. Germany: Springer, (in Press)
3. Fan Y, Bose J, Zhou M, Shabala S. 2015. ROS production, scavenging and signalling under salinity stress. In: Wani SH, Hossain MA, eds. Managing salinity tolerance in plants: molecular and genomic perspectives: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, (in Press)
4. Sidana S, Bose J, Shabala L, Shabala S. 2015. Nitric oxide in drought stress signaling and tolerance in plants. In: Khan MN, Mohammad F, Corpas FJ, eds. Nitric oxide action in abiotic stress responses in plants: Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 95-114. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-17804-2_6
5. Shabala S, Shabala L, Bose J, Cuin T, Newman I. 2013. Ion flux measurements using the MIFE technique. In: Maathuis FJM, ed. Plant Mineral Nutrients, Vol. 953: Humana Press, 171-183.doi: 10.1007/978-1-62703-152-3_11
6. Shabala S, Bose J. 2012. Application of non-invasive microelectrode flux measurements in plant stress physiology. In: Volkov AG, ed. Plant Electrophysiology: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 91-126.doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-29119-7_4
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 5 Jul 2017
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/jayakumar.bose