Dr Marilyn Clarke
|Org Unit||Business School Office|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5687|
Nexus 10 Tower
Marilyn Clarke joined the Business School at the beginning of 2009 as a Senior Lecturer in the Management discipline.
During her 20 year plus teaching career she has taught in the management discipline across all three universities in South Australia; University of SA, Flinders University and University of Adelaide. She has extensive teaching experience at undergraduate and postgraduate level, both locally and offshore in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Prior to her academic career she worked for Telstra in a range of functional areas including internal audit, business planning, marketing and HR. She has also worked in HR at the University of SA and as a business consultant.
B.A. (Hons) in History (University of Adelaide)
Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (S.A.I.T.)
PhD (University of South Australia)
Marilyn's passion is for developing her students as people managers. She has taught across many subject areas including organisational behaviour, human resource management, change management, conflict management, negotiation and business communication at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Marilyn's PhD research explored the reasons why people choose to take voluntary redundancy and the impact of that decision on their future careers.
Her current research interests include
- dual careers
- the role of the organisation and the individual in career management
- career identity in the aged care industry
- building graduate employability
- Smith, M., Clarke, M., and Scurry, T. 'It's only a baby right' TheConversation https://theconversation.com/its-only-a-baby-right-prime-ministers-women-and-parenthood-104180 October 17 2018.
- Clarke, M.A. and Ravenswood, K. 2019 “Overcoming ‘taint’ – constructing a career identity in the aged care sector”, Personnel Review (accepted 3/3/18) A
- Clarke, M.A. 2018 Rethinking graduate employability: the role of capital, individual attributes and context Studies in Higher Education 43(11) 1923-1937
- Clarke, M.A and Scurry, T. 2017 “The role of the psychological contract in shaping graduate experiences: A study of public sector talent management programmes in the UK and Australia”, The International Journal of Human Resource Management DOI: 10.1080/09585192.2017.1396545 A
- DOI: 10.1080/03075079.2017.1294152,
- Clarke, M.A. 2015 “Dual careers: the new norm for Gen Y professionals” Career Development International 20(6), 562-582. B
- Clarke, M.A. 2015 "To what extent a ‘bad’ job? Employee perceptions of job quality in community aged care." Employee Relations: The International Journal 7(2):192-208. B
- Clarke, M.A. 2012 "The organizational career: not dead but in need of redefinition" International Journal of HRM, 23(20):1-20. A
Member of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Board (ANZAM)
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Thursday, 9 Jul 2020
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/marilyn.clarke