Dr Mohammad Mohsen Sarafraz
|Position||Postdoctoral Research Associate|
|Org Unit||School of Mechanical Engineering|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 4713|
|Mobile||+61 4 1631 1335|
BIOGRAPHY AND BACKGROUND
I am a professional engineer and a proficient research professional specialising in project design, project management and realisation. I have a demonstrated track record in successfully executing multidisciplinary projects in chemical and mechanical engineering fields and have a solid background in process engineering. I have a strong academic track record in publishing more than 80 papers in peer reviewed journals with high impact factor. My technical expertise is the renewable energy, thermal engineering and process modelling. I am a loyal, motivated and inspired scientist with a great passion in engineering science and technology, enthusiastic for challenge and research. To me, being a team player with technical expertise, motivation and experience are the foundation of a professional success. I have a demonstrated history of working in various projects, which helped me developed my professional skills in process modelling and thermal engineering, energy market, complex modelling including chemical reactions, concentrated solar thermal energy and energy storage, nano-fluids, techno-economic assessment, renewable energy and hydrogen production. Within six years of academic work experience, I have obtained valuable experience in knowledge and experimental research. I have supervised more than 14 Ph. D., masters and undergrad students. Within five years of working back-to-back with industry and gaining the industrial experience, I have developed my industrial vision to realistically understand the real-case engineering problems.
Publications: 83 peer-reviewed papers
Conferences: 5 conference papers
Total citations: 1686 (in Scopus: 1440)
H-index: 32 (in Scopus:28)
Two hot and five highly-cited papers according to the Clarivate analysis (web of science)
Grant (AUD): $59,700
Scholarship (AUD): $75,000 (including tuition fees + flight + relocation)
Collaborators: USA (3), Australia (4), Brazil (1), China (2), Saudi Arabia (1), Iran (6).
Oct 2015-Oct 2018
Mechanical Engineering-Renewable Energy, the University of Adelaide.
Sep 2008-May 2011
Chemical Engineering, IAU, Tehran, Iran, GPA: 4.8 out of 5.
Sep 2003-Feb 2008
Chemical Engineering, IAU, Tehran, Iran-GPA: 3.98 out of 5.
Awards & Achievements
RESEARCH FUNDS, SCHOLARSHIPS AND AWARDS
University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide
Iran nanotechnology Council
Research incentive scheme
University of Semnan
Research Impact prize
Engine Performance and thermodynamics
University of Adelaide
Design of the reactors (+ online courses)
Advanced Thermodynamics (+ lecturing materials)
Advanced heat transfer and Transport phenomena
(1) Renewable energy including hydrogen production using catalytic processes, concentrated solar thermal energy, thermal storage and solar fuels;
(2) Thermal engineering and process intensification;
(3) Micro- and nano-fluidics in microdevices, compact and conventional systems;
(4) Process and Technology development for novel applications;
(5) Process Modelling including process analysis and efficiency improvement;
(6) Transport phenomena in chemical and mechanical processes;
(7) Computational fluid dynamics
Supervision track record
Thermal characteristics of molten salts in a heat exchanger (5) (Australia)
Liquid metal microfluid system for cooling applications (1) (Australia)
Annular heat exchanger for bubbly heat and mass transfer (6) (Australia)
Design and fabrication of a desalination system working with molten carbonate (2) overseas (Iran)
Microchannel solar receiver working with liquid metals (3)
Compact air solar thermal receiver (3)
Modelling and assessment of CO2 emission in a tile factory (2)-overseas (Iran)
Exergy and energetic analysis of a juice production plant (2)
Design and fabrication of a novel heat pipe for high-temperature applications (3)-overseas (Iran)
Evaluation of a solar collector charged with nanofluids (1)
Convective boiling of the nano-emulsions (1)
(1) Arya, H., Sarafraz, M., & Arjomandi, M. (2019). Pool boiling under the magnetic environment: experimental study on the role of magnetism in particulate fouling and bubbling of iron oxide/ethylene glycol nano-suspension. Heat and Mass Transfer/Waerme- und Stoffuebertragung, 55(1), 119-132. doi:10.1007/s00231-018-2438-8
(2) Sarafraz, M., & Arjomandi, M. (2019). Contact angle and heat transfer characteristics of a gravity-driven film flow of a particulate liquid metal on smooth and rough surfaces. Applied Thermal Engineering, 149, 602-612. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.12.055
(3) Arya, H., Sarafraz, M., Pourmehran, O., & Arjomandi, M. (2019). Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of MgO nanofluid in a double pipe heat exchanger. Heat and Mass Transfer/Waerme- und Stoffuebertragung. doi:10.1007/s00231-018-02554-1
(4) Sarafraz, M., Pourmehran, O., Yang, B., & Arjomandi, M. (2019). Assessment of the thermal performance of a thermosyphon heat pipe using zirconia-acetone nanofluids. Renewable Energy, 136, 884-895. doi:10.1016/j.renene.2019.01.035
(5) Sarafraz, M., Hart, J., Shrestha, E., Arya, H., & Arjomandi, M. (2019). Experimental thermal energy assessment of a liquid metal eutectic in a microchannel heat exchanger equipped with a (10 Hz/50 Hz) resonator. Applied Thermal Engineering, 148, 578-590. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.11.073
(6) Sarafraz, M., Jafarian, M., Arjomandi, M., & Nathan, G. (2019). The thermo-chemical potential liquid chemical looping gasification with bismuth oxide. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 44(16), 8038-8050. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.02.081
(7) Sarafraz, M., Arya, H., & Arjomandi, M. (2018). Thermal and hydraulic analysis of a rectangular microchannel with gallium-copper oxide nano-suspension. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 263, 382-389. doi:10.1016/j.molliq.2018.05.026
(8) Sarafraz, M., & Arjomandi, M. (2018). Thermal performance analysis of a microchannel heat sink cooling with copper oxide-indium (CuO/In) nano-suspensions at high-temperatures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 137, 700-709. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.04.024
(9) Sarafraz, M., Pourmehran, O., Nikkhah, V., & Arya, A. (2018). Pool boiling heat transfer to zinc oxide-ethylene glycol nano-suspension near the critical heat flux. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 32(5), 2309-2315. doi:10.1007/s12206-018-0442-z
(10) Sarafraz, M., Arya, H., Saeedi, M., & Ahmadi, D. (2018). Flow boiling heat transfer to MgO-therminol 66 heat transfer fluid: experimental assessment and correlation development. Applied Thermal Engineering, 138, 552-562. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.04.075
(11) Sarafraz, M., & Arjomandi, M. (2018). Demonstration of plausible application of gallium nano-suspension in microchannel solar thermal receiver: experimental assessment of thermo-hydraulic performance of microchannel. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 94, 39-46. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2018.03.013
(12) Pourmehran, O., Sarafraz, M., Rahimi-Gorji, M., & Ganji, D. (2018). Rheological behaviour of various metal-based nano-fluids between rotating discs: a new insight. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 88, 37-48. doi:10.1016/j.jtice.2018.04.004
(13) Sarafraz, M., Jafarian, M., Arjomandi, M., & Nathan, G. (2018). Potential of molten lead oxide for liquid chemical looping gasification (LCLG): a thermochemical analysis. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 43(9), 4195-4210. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.01.035
(14) Arya, H., Sarafraz, M., & Arjomandi, M. (2018). Heat transfer and fluid flow of MgO/ethylene glycol in a corrugated heat exchanger. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 32(8), 3975-3982. doi:10.1007/s12206-018-0748-x
(15) Sarafraz, M., Nikkhah, V., Nakhjavani, M., & Arya, A. (2018). Thermal performance of a heat sink microchannel working with biologically produced silver-water nanofluid: Experimental assessment. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 91, 509-519. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2017.11.007
(16) Sarafraz, M., Nikkhah, V., Madani, S., Jafarian, M., & Hormozi, F. (2017). Low-frequency vibration for fouling mitigation and intensification of thermal performance of a plate heat exchanger working with CuO/water nanofluid. Applied Thermal Engineering, 121, 388-399. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.04.083
(17) Sarafraz, M., Nikkhah, V., Nakhjavani, M., & Arya, A. (2017). Fouling formation and thermal performance of aqueous carbon nanotube nanofluid in a heat sink with rectangular parallel microchannel. Applied Thermal Engineering, 123, 29-39. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.05.056
(18) Nakhjavani, M., Nikkhah, V., Sarafraz, M., Shoja, S., & Sarafraz, M. (2017). Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using green tea leaves: experimental study on the morphological, rheological and antibacterial behaviour. Heat and Mass Transfer, 53(10), 3201-3209. doi:10.1007/s00231-017-2065-9
(19) Sarafraz, M., Jafarian, M., Arjomandi, M., & Nathan, G. (2017). The relative performance of alternative oxygen carriers for liquid chemical looping combustion and gasification. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42(26), 16396-16407. doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2017.05.116
(20) Arya, A., Sarafraz, M., Shahmiri, S., Madani, S., Nikkhah, V., & Nakhjavani, S. (2017). Thermal performance analysis of a flat heat pipe working with carbon nanotube-water nanofluid for cooling of a high heat flux heater. Heat and Mass Transfer/Waerme- und Stoffuebertragung, Online(4), 1-13. doi:10.1007/s00231-017-2201-6
(21) Arya, A., Shahmiry, S., Nikkhah, V., & Sarafraz, M. (2017). Cooling of high heat flux flat surface with nanofluid assisted convective loop: experimental assessment. Archive of Mechanical Engineering, 64(4), 519-531. doi:10.1515/meceng-2017-0030
(22) Salari, E., Peyghambarzadeh, S., Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Nikkhah, V. (2017). Thermal behavior of aqueous iron oxide nano-fluid as a coolant on a flat disc heater under the pool boiling condition. Heat and Mass Transfer, 53(1), 265-275. doi:10.1007/s00231-016-1823-4
(23) Sarafraz, M., Jafarian, M., Arjomandi, M., & Nathan, G. (2017). Potential use of liquid metal oxides for chemical looping gasification: a thermodynamic assessment. Applied Energy, 195, 702-712. doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.03.106
(24) Sarafraz, M., Arya, A., Hormozi, F., & Nikkhah, V. (2017). On the convective thermal performance of a CPU cooler working with liquid gallium and CuO/water nanofluid: a comparative study. Applied Thermal Engineering, 112, 1373-1381. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.10.196
(25) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Nikkhah, V. (2016). Thermal performance of a counter-current double pipe heat exchanger working with COOH-CNT/water nanofluids. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 78, 41-49. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2016.05.014
(26) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2016). Pool boiling heat transfer to aqueous alumina nano-fluids on the plain and concentric circular micro-structured (CCM) surfaces. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 72, 125-139. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2015.11.001
(27) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., Silakhori, M., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2016). On the fouling formation of functionalized and non-functionalized carbon nanotube nano-fluids under pool boiling condition. Applied Thermal Engineering, 95, 433-444. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.11.071
(28) Sarafraz, M., Kiani, T., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Critical heat flux and pool boiling heat transfer analysis of synthesized zirconia aqueous nano-fluids. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 70, 75-83. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2015.12.008
(29) Salari, E., Peyghambarzadeh, S., Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Boiling thermal performance of TiO2 aqueous nanofluids as a coolant on a disc copper block. Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering, 60(2), 106-122. doi:10.3311/PPch.8262
(30) Salari, E., Peyghambarzadeh, M., Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Boiling heat transfer of alumina nano-fluids: role of nanoparticle deposition on the boiling heat transfer coefficient. Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering, 60(4), 252-258. doi:10.3311/PPch.9324
(31) Sarafraz, M., Arya, A., Nikkhah, V., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Thermal performance and viscosity of biologically produced silver/coconut oil nanofluids. Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 30(4), 489-500. doi:10.15255/CABEQ.2015.2203
(32) Kamalgharibi, M., Hormozi, F., Zamzamian, S., & Sarafraz, M. (2016). Experimental studies on the stability of CuO nanoparticles dispersed in different base fluids: influence of stirring, sonication and surface active agents. Heat and Mass Transfer, 52(1), 55-62. doi:10.1007/s00231-015-1618-z
(33) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Experimental investigation on the pool boiling heat transfer to aqueous multi-walled carbon nanotube nanofluids on the micro-finned surfaces. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 100, 255-266. doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2015.10.006
(34) Sarafraz, M. M., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Comparatively experimental study on the boiling thermal performance of metal oxide and multi-walled carbon nanotube nanofluids. Powder Technology, 287, 412-430. doi:10.1016/j.powtec.2015.10.022
(35) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2016). Heat transfer, pressure drop and fouling studies of multi-walled carbon nanotube nano-fluids inside a plate heat exchanger. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 72, 1-11. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2015.11.004
(36) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2015). Intensification of forced convection heat transfer using biological nanofluid in a double-pipe heat exchanger. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 66, 279-289. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2015.03.028
(37) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2015). Role of nanofluid fouling on thermal performance of a thermosyphon: Are nanofluids reliable working fluid?. Applied Thermal Engineering, 82, 212-224. doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.02.070
(38) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2015). Pool boiling heat transfer to dilute copper oxide aqueous nanofluids. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 90, 224-237. doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2014.12.014
(39) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., Peyghambarzadeh, S., & Vaeli, N. (2015). Upward flow boiling to DI-water and Cuo nanofluids inside the concentric annuli. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 8(4), 651-659. doi:10.18869/acadpub.jafm.67.223.19404
(40) Nikkhah, V., Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2015). Particulate fouling of CuO-water nanofluid at isothermal diffusive condition inside the conventional heat exchanger-experimental and modeling. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 60, 83-95. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2014.08.009
(41) Nikkhah, V., Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2015). Application of spherical copper oxide (II) water nano-fluid as a potential coolant in a boiling annular heat exchanger. Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 29(3), 405-415. doi:10.15255/CABEQ.2014.2069
(42) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2015). Eratum: Experimental studies on the effect of water contaminants in convective boiling heat transfer (Ain Shams Engineering Journal (2014) 5:2 (553-568)). Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 6(2), 723. doi:10.1016/j.asej.2015.05.001
(43) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Application of thermodynamic models to estimating the convective flow boiling heat transfer coefficient of mixtures. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 53, 70-85. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.11.004
(44) Sarafraz, M. M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Scale formation and subcooled flow boiling heat transfer of CuO-water nanofluid inside the vertical annulus. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 52, 205-214. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.09.012
(45) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., Peyghambarzadeh, S., & Salari, E. (2014). Experimental study on the influence of SO₂ gas injection to pure liquids on pool boiling heat transfer coefficients. Heat and Mass Transfer, 50(6), 747-757. doi:10.1007/s00231-013-1278-9
(46) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2014). Thermal performance and efficiency of a thermosyphon heat pipe working with a biologically ecofriendly nanofluid. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 57, 297-303. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2014.08.020
(47) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Qualitative investigation of the convective boiling heat transfer of dilute Al2O3-water/glycerol solution inside the vertical annuli. BULGARIAN CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS, 46(3), 645-651.
(48) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Convective boiling and particulate fouling of stabilized CuO-ethylene glycol nanofluids inside the annular heat exchanger. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 53, 116-123. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2014.02.019
(49) Sarafraz, M. M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Experimental studies on the effect of water contaminants in convective boiling heat transfer. Ain Shams Engineering Journal, 5(2), 553-568. doi:10.1016/j.asej.2013.11.006
(50) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Forced convective and nucleate flow boiling heat transfer to alumina nanofluids. Periodica Polytechnica Chemical Engineering, 58(1), 37-46. doi:10.3311/PPch.2206
(51) Sarafraz, M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Nucleate pool boiling heat transfer characteristics of dilute Al₂O₃-ethyleneglycol nanofluids. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 58, 96-104. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2014.08.028
(52) Sarafraz, M., Hormozi, F., & Kamalgharibi, M. (2014). Sedimentation and convective boiling heat transfer of CuO-water/ethylene glycol nanofluids. Heat and Mass Transfer, 50(9), 1237-1249. doi:10.1007/s00231-014-1336-y
(53) Sarafraz, M. M., & Hormozi, F. (2014). Experimental study on the thermal performance and efficiency of a copper made thermosyphon heat pipe charged with alumina-glycol based nanofluids. Powder Technology, 266, 378-387. doi:10.1016/j.powtec.2014.06.053
(54) Sarafraz, M. (2013). Experimental investigation on pool boiling heat transfer to formic acid, propanol and 2-butanol pure liquids under the atmospheric pressure. Journal of Applied Fluid Mechanics, 6(1), 73-79. Retrieved from http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/
(55) Sarafraz, M., Peyghambarzadeh, S., Alavi Fazel, S., & Vaeli, N. (2013). Nucleate pool boiling heat transfer of binary nano mixtures under atmospheric pressure around a smooth horizontal cylinder. Periodica Polytechnica: Chemical Engineering, 57(1-2), 71-77. doi:10.3311/PPch.2173
(56) Sarafraz, M. M., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. M. (2013). Experimental study on subcooled flow boiling heat transfer to water-diethylene glycol mixtures as a coolant inside a vertical annulus. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 50, 154-162. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.06.003
(57) Peyghambarzadeh, S. M., Sarafraz, M. M., Vaeli, N., Ameri, E., Vatani, A., & Jamialahmadi, M. (2013). Forced convective and subcooled flow boiling heat transfer to pure water and n-heptane in an annular heat exchanger. Annals of Nuclear Energy, 53, 401-410. doi:10.1016/j.anucene.2012.07.037
(58) Fazel, S., Sarafraz, M., Shamsabadi, A., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2013). Pool boiling heat transfer in diluted water/glycerol binary solutions. Heat Transfer Engineering, 34(10), 828-837. doi:10.1080/01457632.2012.746157
(59) Sarafraz, M., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2012). Nucleate pool boiling heat transfer to Al2O3-water and TiO2-water nanofluids on horizontal smooth tubes with dissimilar homogeneous materials. Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 26(3), 199-206.
(60) Sarafraz, M., Peyghambarzadeh, S., & Alavifazel, S. (2012). Enhancement of nucleate pool boiling heat transfer to dilute binary mixtures using endothermic chemical reactions around the smoothed horizontal cylinder. Heat and Mass Transfer, 48(10), 1755-1765. doi:10.1007/s00231-012-1019-5
(61) Sarafraz, M. M., Peyghambarzadeh, S. M., & Alavi Fazel, S. A. (2012). Enhancement of the pool boiling heat transfer coefficient using the gas injection into the water. Polish Journal of Chemical Technology, 14(4), 100-109. doi:10.2478/v10026-012-0110-5
(62) Sarafraz, M. M., Alavi Fazel, S. A., Hasanzadeh, Y., Arabshamsabadi, A., & Bahram, S. (2012). Development of a new correlation for estimating pool boiling heat transfer coefficient of MEG/DEG/water ternary mixture. Chemical Industry and Chemical Engineering Quarterly, 18(1), 11-18. doi:10.2298/CICEQ110625041S
(63) Sarafraz, M. M., Peyghambarzadeh, S. M., & Vaeli, N. (2012). Subcooled flow boiling heat transfer of ethanol aqueous solutions in vertical annulus space. Chemical Industry and Chemical Engineering Quarterly, 18(2), 315-327. doi:10.2298/CICEQ111020008S
(64) Sarafraz, M. M., Peyghambarzadeh, S. M., & Alavi Fazel, S. A. (2012). Experimental studies on nucleate pool boiling heat transfer to ethanol/MEG/DEG ternary mixture as a new coolant. Chemical Industry and Chemical Engineering Quarterly, 18(4), 577-586. doi:10.2298/CICEQ111116033S
(65) Sarafraz, M. M., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. M. (2012). Influence of thermodynamic models on the prediction of pool boiling heat transfer coefficient of dilute binary mixtures. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 39(8), 1303-1310. doi:10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2012.06.020
(66) Sarafraz, M. (2012). Nucleate pool boiling of aqueous solution of citric acid on a smoothed horizontal cylinder. Heat and Mass Transfer: Waerme- und Stoffuebertragung, 48(4), 611-619. doi:10.1007/s00231-011-0910-9
(67) Alavi Fazel, S., Arabi Shamsabadi, A., Sarafraz, M., & Peyghambarzadeh, S. (2011). Artificial boiling heat transfer in the free convection to carbonic acid solution. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 35(4), 645-652. doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2010.12.014
(68) Sarafraz, M., Peyghambarzadeh, S., & Marahel, A. (2011). Mathematical modeling of air duct heater using the finite difference method. Polish Journal of Chemical Technology, 13(4), 47-52. doi:10.2478/v10026-011-0048-z
(69) Sarafraz, M., & Jamshidnejad, M. (2011). Development of a new optimised correlation for the diffusion coefficient in gaseous systems. In 61th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. London Ontario, Canada.
(70) Sinaei, M., Darbandi, T., Honarvar, B., & Sarafraz, M. (2014). Supercritical Fluid Extraction and Hydrodistillation of Cleosia Argentea Essential Oil. In Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Agricultural, Biological & Environmental Sciences (AABES-2014) (pp. 97-102). Online: International Institute of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering. Retrieved from http://www.iicbe.org/proceedingspdf.php?id=14
(71) Sarafraz, M., Jafarian, M., Arjomandi, M., & Nathan, G. J. (2017). Potential application of liquid antimony oxide for solar-aided hydrogen production. In Asia-Pacific Solar Research Conference, 7th December, Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne.
PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
CONSULTANT THERMAL ENGINEER
UoA and 1414 degrees CO., Australia
· Conduct a feasibility study and assessment of various configurations of heat exchangers using CFD to identify the suitable heat exchanging system for a patented process.
· Design and optimise the geometrical specifications of a novel heat exchanger for high-temperature and high-pressure (HTHP) conditions.
· Develop a selection procedure to identify the suitable materials for high-temperature and high-pressure (HTHP) conditions.
· Evaluate the efficiency of the system in subsonic, sonic and supersonic flow regimes.
CONSULTANT PROCESS ENGINEER
UoA and Tarac Technologies, Australia
· Conduct a feasibility study and assessment of the Tarac’s process to be hybridised with solar thermal energy.
· Develop a thermodynamic program to dynamically solve the energy and mass flows within the hybrid systems with the capability to post-process the outcomes.
· Develop a control strategy and a solution to simultaneously operate the solar plant, Tarac’s process and thermal storage unit with a uniform energy flow.
· Develop a model and simulate the potential of using biomass as an energy resource for Tarac’s plants.
· Evaluate and assess the co-production of heat and power in Tarac’s chemical complex.
· Conduct a techno-economic assessment to evaluate the final price of the product for the hybrid systems.
· Generate a full report including all the assessments and evaluations to be submitted to SA government portal.
National Silicone project, Iran's National Elites Foundation, Iran
· Design, simulate and fabricate a novel silicon reactor, to separate the silicone from SiCl4.
· Operate and control a silicone production pilot plant including the supervision of personnel and operating management.
· Generate a full report from design to operation of the plant together with detailed analysis of the simulation of the result.
· Conduct an investigation to find the bottlenecks and chemical performance assessment to improve the process to provide the condition for scaling up to production rate of 1 tonne per day.
· Optimise the temperature and pressure of the process using throttling and regulating techniques.
· Conduct a techno-economic assessment and run an optimisation plan based on the thermo-economic assessment to reduce the final cost of the silicone.
Heat transfer and heterogeneous reactions, Semnan University, Iran
· Design and fabricate a semi-industrial flow loop to assess the thermal performance and hydraulic behaviour of various coolants used in petrochemical industries to identify the best ones for high heat flux cooling/heating applications.
· Design, fabricate and operate a test rig for convective boiling of different liquid coolants for high heat flux boilers to identify the role of surface characteristics and operating pressure of boiler on the rate of steam production and bubbling.
· Design a novel high-temperature noiseless heat pipe for a company for cooling a set of concentrated solar panels.
· Design and fabricate a novel heat exchanger to address the challenges associated with the low efficiency of the conventional ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol heat exchangers in a glycol production plant. (A joint project with industry).
· Run training and mentoring programs for new engineers for partner companies.
Behkar Andishan Co., Iran
· Consultation member of the Mechanical and Chemical Engineering panel.
· Develop P&ID schematic diagrams of the plants and update the operating condition tables and procedures.
· Organise the fortnight meetings with stakeholders and main customers and liaise with partner companies including Bayer and Sigma.
· Simulate the new proposed processes for producing new products to evaluate the chemical performance, economic viability, annual profit and energy consumption.
· Investigate operational problems in production lines and develop techniques to address them.
· Prepare the daily, weekly reports and upload them in the internal portal.
· Conduct several courses on training and upgrading the personnel.
ACADEMIC EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW
University of Adelaide, Australia
· Received a prize entitled: “Best contribution in innovation and technology” awarded by Centre for Energy Technology, University of Adelaide.
· Received $1,000 incentive prize for the publication at UoA.
· Published 6 world highly-cited papers from web of science-Clarivate analytics.
· Develop a new technology referred to as “Liquid Chemical Looping Gasification” for the production of syngas from renewable resources such as biomass using liquid metals.
· Published more than 16 papers in peer reviewed journals with high impact factor.
· Lectured “Engine Performance” and “Thermodynamics” courses since 2017.
· Prepared teaching materials for Engine Performance including the exam questions.
· Supervised 5 undergraduate students, and 5 masters’ students.
University of Semnan, Iran
· Received research fund from Iran nanotechnology council to $55,000.
· Publish more than 40 ISI papers in peer reviewed journals.
· Received an award entitled: “Young Scientist” from the ministry of science and technology, Iran.
· Receive Adelaide International Scholarship worth of $75,000 including flight, relocation and bonus.
· Lectured “Advanced heat transfer” and “Advanced thermodynamics” at IAU, Abadan branch, Iran.
· Lectured “Unit operation”, “Design of the reactors” and “Transport phenomena” at IAU, Mahshahr Branch, Iran.
· Led the two-phase flow and convective heat transfer research group (only 2013 and 2014).
· Develop a new method for teaching heat transfer using experimental apparatuses designed and fabricated by my research group in Semnan.
Categories Engineering, Mining & Energy Expertise Syngas production Chemical Looping Technology Transport phenomena Heat transfer Nano-technology biological nanofluids Solar Energy Passive cooling techniques Boiling heat transfer Process Engineering Mobile 0416 311 335 After hours 0416 311 335
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Sunday, 14 Jul 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/mohammadmohsen.sarafraz