Dr Paul Aylward
|Position||Senior Research Fellow|
|Org Unit||General Practice|
Extensive experience in the design and conduct of program and project evaluations in primary health care and public health over eighteen years. In the UK Paul managed and conducted several large scale national evaluations for Government concerning health education initiatives in smoking, youth health, sexual health, migrant health and the health of elderly people which included qualitative approaches, national surveys and quasi-experimental designs.
Since arriving in Australia Paul's work has expanded to include research and evaluation with a broad variety of socially excluded groups and addressing a range of public health issues including: Aboriginal people with co-morbidity issues, a broad number of C&LD refugee groups experiencing depression (Persian, Cambodian, Italian, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Eastern European), reviewing mental health services for South Australia migrant groups, evaluating services for mothers experiencing mental health distress, a national study addressing parent attachment issues, holistic services for abused mothers, services for injecting drug users (including separate studies for Vietnamese users), and several studies for people experiencing alcohol problems. Paul also designed and conducted the evaluation of the South Australian component of the National Suicide Prevention Strategy Community Programs which involved constructing a State-wide evaluation framework and participatory methodologies addressing a wide range community based programs addressing a broad spread of risk populations (including urban and remote Aboriginal communities, C&LD, rural men, urban youth, young people with AOD issues, young homeless people and peer education programs for people with HCV). He has conducted national evaluations of parenting programs conducted by Lady Gowrie child care, a feasibility study of the adoption of data synergy programs among SA GPs and the development of software tools for GPs addressing COPD. More recently he has contributed to the evaluation of 'Stronger Families Safer Children' for the Government of South Australia through formative work with the NGO stakeholder agencies engaged with the program.
Buiding capacity in evaluation and research has been a major part of Paul's work through implementing PAR approaches. A professionally qualified teacher and Senior Lecturer in the UK for eight years, Paul has written and coordinated several under-grad and post grad courses. In Australia, Paul has been commissioned to provide evaluation workshops to build capacity of health practitioners, community workers and academics across Australia on behalf of the Australasian Evaluation Society, by all three South Australian universities, and Universities in the Northern Territory and Queensland.
Paul also worked as the ‘Primary Health Care Research and Evaluation Development’ (PHCRED) Tri State-Wide Coordinator', for two terms where he was specifically charged with coordinating capacity building activities across five university departments of General Practice and Rural Health to help develop a research and evaluation culture amongst health practitioners in South Australia, the Northern Territory and Greater Green Triangle. This engaged Paul in directly training a broad range of health professionals in research and evaluation across Australia including Aboriginal staff (at AHCSA and Pika Wiya), AOD workers (on behalf of NCETA and DASSA), Public Health and Allied Health Workers and Divisions of General Practice (Hills Division and the Central and Northern Divisions in SA). He has also trained a broad range of NGOs across South Australia, delivering workshops and mentoring for: Anglicare, Mission Australia, VNCASA, the Cancer Council of SA and several community health centres.
B.A (Hons). M.A. (Education). PGCE. M.A. PHd.
Awards & Achievements
Honours in Psychology and Sociology - Lancaster University, 1983
Masters of Education and Mass Communications - Leicester University, 1985
Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Professional Teaching Qualification) - London Institute, 1992
Masters in Applied Social Research (Distinction) - Westminster University, 1992
Most Inspirational Lecturer Award – Southampton Solent University 1994
Teaching and Scholarship award – Southampton Solent University 1999
Australasian Evaluation Society National Excellence Commendation for Evaluation Study 2002
PHCRED RDP Fellowship - University of Adelaide, 2010
PhD: Public Health - Flinders University, 2010
1. Aylward, P. (2011) Evaluation – Outreach Hepatitis C Peer Education and Support Project. Hepatitis C Council of South Australia
2. Crockett, A.J., Frith, P.A., Hancock, K., Allan, H. & Aylward, P. (2011) ‘Primary Care Respiratory Toolkit’ Australian Lung Foundation. http://drwidget.com/alf/ignition/index.php/alf_pcrt#
3. Aylward, P. (2011) Evaluation - Mission Australia Hindmarsh Outreach Treatment Project. Mission Australia.
4. Aylward, P. (2011) Qualitative findings from NGO Stakeholders in: Department for Families and Communities Business Affairs Research Unit (2011) Stronger Families Safer Children Evaluation: First Stage Report (Chapt 4). Government of South Australia. http://www.dfc.sa.gov.au/Pub/Home/Research/Knowledgecentre/tabid/811/itemId/1939/Default.aspx
5. Frank, O.R, Stocks, N.P. & Aylward, P. (2011) Patient acceptance and perceived utility of pre-consultation prevention summaries and reminders in general practice: pilot study BMC Family Practice 2011, 12:40 doi:10.1186/1471-2296-12-40
6. Aylward, P. (2011) Young People’s Experiences of Suicide Services. Anglicare, South Australia.
7. Aylward, P. (2011) Anglicare Staying Attached Project. Summative Evaluation Survey of External Stakeholders and Project Worker Focus Group Report. Anglicare South Australia.
8. Aylward, P. (2011) Understanding the Needle and Syringe Program as a harm reduction strategy For Vietnamese injecting drug users living in South Australia: A hermeneutical cross-cultural study of barriers and engagement. Thesis submitted in fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Flinders University, South Australia.
9. Aylward, P. & Crockett, A. (2011) Qualitative Evaluation of the ‘Primary Care Respiratory Toolkit’: Interviews with General Practitioners and Practice Nurses from GP Practices in South Australia. Australian Lung Foundation.
10. Gialamas, A., Aylward, P., Stocks, N. Vanlint, S. (2011) A study exploring patient knowledge, attitudes and experiences with cholesterol lowering medication: evidence for action. Accepted for publication 21 March 2011 Australian Family Physician
11. Martini, A., Javanparast, S.,Ward, P.R.,Cole, S., Aylward, P. Baratiny, G. Gill, T.,Tsourtos, G., Misan, G., Wilson, C., Young, G. (2011) Screening for colorectal cancer in remote, rural and metropolitan South Australia: analysis of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program data. Rural and Remote Health 11 (online), 2011: no. 1648. Available from: http://www.rrh.org.au; Public Health Bulletin: Rural Health in the 21rst Century. Vol 8 No 1.
12. Ward, P et al (2011) Equity of colorectal cancer screening: cross-sectional analysis of National Bowel Cancer Screening Program data for South Australia. ANZJ Public Health 35 (1) pp61-65
13. Aylward, P. (2010) Qualitative Formative Evaluation of Phase 1 of the Stronger Families Safer Children Program. Department for Families and Communities.
14. Aylward, P. Murphy, P. Kolmer, K. O’Neil, M. (2010) Findings from an evaluation of an intervention targeting Australian parents of young children with attachment issues: The through the looking glass project. Australian Journal of Early Childhood (Vol 35 No 3. pp13-23).
15. Javanparast S, Ward PR, Cole S, Gill T, Ah Matt M, Aylward P, Baratiny G, Jiwa M, Martini A, Misan G, Tsourtos G, Wilson C, Young G. (2010) A cross-sectional analysis of participation in National Bowel Cancer Screening Program in Adelaide by age, gender and geographical location of residence. Australasian Medical Journal 2010 Vol 3 No 1 141-146
16. Ward, P. Javanparas, S. Ah Matt, M. Cole, S. Aylward, P. Gill, T. Martini, A.Wilson, C. Baratiny, G. Carter, S. Misan, G. Tsourtos, G. Jiwa, M. Young, G. Waite, J. (2010) Equity of Bowel Cancer Screening: An Epidemiological and Qualitative Study. Flinders University Department of Public Health. Report to the South Australian Department of Health and Aging.
17. Aylward P. (2010) The Development and Piloting of an integrated culturally appropriate service model addressing amphetamine use for the Vietnamese Community in South Australia. Adelaide: VCASA.
18. Aylward, P. (2009) Evaluation – Lady Gowrie Primary Care Giving Training Project. Lady Gowrie Thebarton.
19. Aylward, P. (2009) Evaluation of the Mission Australia Hindmarsh Amphetamine Type Stimulants (ATS) Project. Mission Australia Hindmarsh.
20. Aylward, P. & Crockett, A. (2009) Evaluation of the Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Check List (COPD-X) for Australian General Practices. Australian Lung Foundation.
21. Aylward, P. (2009) Formative Evaluation of the Data Synergy Project. Adelaide Western General Practice Network & Discipline of General Practice, University of Adelaide.
22. Aylward, P. (2009) Evaluation of the VCASA Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) Training Course for Vietnamese AOD Workers. Findings from the pre and post self-completion questionnaires, Working Group debriefing session and follow-up in-depth interviews. VNCASA and DoHA
23. Aylward, P. (2009) Building Organisational and Staff Capacity in Alcohol Education for the Vietnamese Community in South Australia. AERF
24. McIntyre, E., Reibel, T., Aylward, P. (2008). Skill building workshops: giving value for money. Australian Family Physician August 2008; 37:868-869
25. Aylward, P. (2008) The Vietnamese Community AOD Education Project: A cross-cultural, multi-method participatory action research evaluation. AERF
26. Aylward, P. & O’Neill, M. (2008) ‘Invest to Grow Final Evaluation Report; Through the Looking Glass – A Community Partnership in Parenting, Lady Gowrie http://health.adelaide.edu.au/gp/publications/
27. Aylward, P. (2008), Sustainability of the SA National Suicide Prevention Strategy Community Initiatives. Commonwealth Dept of Health and Ageing.
28. Aylward, P. (2007) ‘Staying Attached Formative Evaluation’; and ‘Consumer Focus group Findings’ Anglicare.
29. Aylward, P. (2007) ‘Evaluation Report. The NoMAD Program – Results from the externally conducted component of the evaluation of the Drug Summit Initiative Pilot in Modbury District Centre’. Families SA Child Protection Directorate.
30. Aylward, P. (2007) ‘Evaluation of the Parks Mental Health Partnership – Aboriginal Co-Morbidity of Mental Illness &Drug/Alcohol Project’. Parks Community Health Centre.
31. Aylward, P. (2007) ‘ Supporting Women in Rural Areas Diagnosed with Breast Cancer Initiative in South Australia’. Country Health SA.
32. Aylward, P. (2007) ‘External Evaluation of the Vietnamese Community SA Chapter (VNCASA) Clean Needle Program.
33. Aylward, P., Murray, C., Cooke, R., & Martin, M. (2006) PEW: Dances with Budgies. The development of the ‘Planning and Evaluation Wizard’ – a cautionary tale. Evaluation Journal of Australasia Vol 5 No 2: 61-66
34. Aylward, P. (2006) Peer Education and the Clean Needle Program – a plethora of benefits. DrugInfo Vol. 4 No. 3 March
35. Aylward, P. (2006) Peer Education in the South Australian Clean Needle Program. AIDS Council of SA.
36. Aylward, P. (2006) The Vietnamese Alcohol Education Project Evaluation Interim Report. AERF.
37. Aylward, P. (2006) External Formative Evaluation of the BoysTown BETS Project. BoysTown, Brisbane.
38. Aylward, P. & Lawler, M. (2006) SA Suicide Prevention Strategy Community Initiatives Evaluation Reports Vol 1,2,3. SGRHS and Department of Health and Ageing.
39. Murray, C., Aylward, P., Cooke, R., & Martin, M. (2005) Planning and Evaluation Wizard. SACHRU and Flinders University: http://som.flinders.edu.au/FUSA/SACHRU/PEW/index.htm
40. Aylward, P. (2005). Evaluation for AOD Projects and Programs. In N. Skinner, A.M. Roche, J. O'Connor, Y. Pollard, C. Todd (Eds.), Workforce Development TIPS (Theory Into Practice Strategies). National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA), Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia.
41. Adams, M., Aylward,P., Heyne, N., Hull, C., Misan, G., Taylor, J., & Walker-Jeffreys, M. (2005) Integrated support for Aboriginal tertiary students in health-related courses: the Pika Wiya Learning Centre. Australian Health Review Vol 29 No. 4: 482-490.
42. Aylward, P (2004) Evaluation of the ‘Eat well Outback SA (EWOBSA) Project, Spencer Gulf Rural Health School. ISBN 1 920927 11 5 - http://chdf.org.au/icms_file?page=881/EWOBSA_Eval_Report.pdf
43. Jeffries, M.W et al (2003) An Organisation Wide Evaluation of the Council of Remote Area Nurses for Australia, Spencer Gulf Rural Health School.
44. Aylward, P & Moretti C., (2002) Kokotinna Process Evaluation: A Learning Resource for cultural awareness in Academic Institutions. SACHRU
45. Aylward, P (Nov 2001) Evaluation of Reciprocity in Education: A Piloted Model of Interactive Learning between migrant communities and mainstream mental health services. SACHRU. ISBN 0 7308 9142 9 http://som.flinders.edu.au/FUSA/SACHRU/Publications/view.htm
46. Aylward, P. (2002) Evaluation of the Gear’d Up Project targeting young gay men who inject drugs. SACHRU.
47. Aylward, P., & Moretti, C., (2001) Multicultural Mental Health Access Program (McMHAP) Review. SA Health Publications. ISBN 0 7308 9124 0 http://www.publications.health.sa.gov.au/mhs/38/
48. Hayes, M. & Aylward, P. Anti-Fascist Action: Radical Resistance or Rent-a-Mob? Soundings, Issue 14, Spring 2000, 53-63 (Ed: Stuart Hall)
49. Aylward, P. & Spicer, K (1997) A Consideration of Possible Indicators for use in National Sexual Behaviour and Attitude Surveys - Health Education Authority, London.
50. Aylward, P. et al (1997) Heat Stable Oral Polio Vaccine - Qualitative assessment of possible introduction in the UK - Health Education Authority, London.
51. Aylward, P. (1995) The Qualitative Testing and Evaluation of HEA Winter Sexual Health Advertising Campaign - Management Summary. Health Education Authority, London.
52. Aylward, P (1994) Teenage Smoking Campaign Controlled Evaluation, Health Education Authority, London.
53. Maguire, H, Aylward, P, Bodell, D (1994) South Thames Regional Health Authority (West) Genitourinary Medicine Services Review. South West Regional Health Authority.
54. Southampton Solent University (1993) Shoppers Attitudes and Behaviour in South Hampshire 1993 - a report for Southampton City Council, Eastleigh Borough Council, Hampshire County Council, and Fareham Borough Council.
55. Aylward, P., Tatum, J., Wallace, P., and Young, E., (1992) Link Work Project Report Findings from the First Year, Occasional paper No.12. Dept of General Practice, St. Mary's Hospital Med School, London.
56. Health Education Authority (1992) Tomorrows Young Adults - a national Survey of 9-15 year olds concerning alcohol, drugs, exercise and smoking. London. [Survey conducted by MORI managed by Paul Aylward on behalf of HEA].
57. Aylward, P., (1991) Link Work Project Individual Practice Interim Report. Occasional Paper No.8. Dept of General Practice, St. Mary's Hospital Medical School, London.
58. Wallace, P., Young, E., & Aylward, P., (1991) North Kensington Elderly Peoples Integrated Care Scheme Research and Evaluation Programme. Occasional paper No.9. Dept of General Practice, St. Mary's Hospital Medical School, London.
59. Aylward, P., (1990) Elderly Persons Integrated care Scheme (EPICS) Evaluation: Comparative and Supplemental Studies. Dept of General Practice, St. Mary's Hospital Medical School, London.
60. Aylward, P. & Wallace, P. (1990) A Comparison of Link Worker Findings for Eight specific variables. Occasional Paper No 6. Dept of General Practice, St Mary's Hospital Medical School.
61. Young, E., Aylward, P. & Wallace, P. (1990) Link Worker Project Elderly People's Assessment Package. Occasional Paper No.5. Dept of General Practice, St. Mary's Hospital Medical School.
62. Aylward, P., (1989) Baseline Survey of Lifesavers' Attitudes, Knowledge, Behaviour and Awareness in Relation to Skin Cancer and its Prevention. ACF of Universities of South Australia.
63. Aylward, P., (1989) Development and Pre-Testing of Road Safety Tests focusing on School Children and Development of Study Design. Road Safety Division of South Australia.
64. Aylward, P., (1989) The Cancer-Free Kids Rural Pilot Evaluation on Kangaroo Island ACF of the Universities of South Australia.
65. Aylward, P., (1989) Report on the Evaluation of the Cancer-Free Kids Project Metropolitan Study in South Australia. ACF of the Universities of South Australia.
66. Aylward, P., (1989) Health and Ethnic Minorities. Health Education Authority.
67. Reynolds, M.A., Aylward, P., & Heaf, D.P. (1988) How Much do Schoolteachers know about Asthma? Paediatric Rev Commun Vol 2 pp 173-180.
68. Aylward, P., Mellonie, D., Wilson, D. (1988) Report on Evaluation of 1987 Oral Cancer Awareness Campaign. Anti-Cancer Foundation of Universities of South Australia and the Australian Dental Association.
69. Aylward, P., (1988) Report on a Baseline Health Survey of Principals of South Australian Schools with a primary enrolment. ACF of Universities of South Australia.
70. Aylward, P., (1988) Review of the Role of Psychological Characteristics in Road Accidents. Working Paper 3/88, Road Safety Division of South Australia.
71. Aylward, P., (1988) Observational Study of Elderly Crossing Speeds at Pedestrian Crossings.Working Paper 4/88, Road Safety Division of South Australia.
72. Aylward, P., (1988) Evaluation of Road Safety Educational Programmes Aimed at Pre-School Children. Road Safety Division of South Australia.
73. Aylward, P., (1988) Pilot Project on the Evaluation of the`Ask your Nurse' minimum intervention smoking cessation program, ACF of Universities of South Australia.
74. Aylward, P. & O'Connor, P. (1987) Pedestrian Safety in South Australia. Road Safety Division of South Australia., Report Series 15/88, ISSN 0818-0644.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS - Last Six Years:
1. Aylward, P. & Crockett, A. (2011) ‘Optimizing the acceptability, usefulness and utility of the ‘Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases Check List’ (COPD-X) for Australian General Practices’. Tri State PHCRED Conference, Adelaide
2. Nguyen, L.M. & Aylward, P. (2010) Criminal Conduct and Substance Abuse Treatment, Strategies for self-improvement and change model – A revision and adaptation of the SSC model to suit the Vietnamese cultural context’. Australian Professional Society on Alcohol and Other Drugs (APSAD) Annual Conference, Canberra
3. Aylward, P. (2009) ‘Collecting or constructing’ qualitative evaluation evidence addressing highly sensitive and marginalised issues? Lessons from evaluating Australian Clean Needle Programs’. Australasian Evaluation Society International Conference, Canberra
4. Aylward, P. & Nguyen, L.M. (2009) ‘Collaboration, Cultural Appropriateness and Community Alcohol Education. Lessons from the Vietnamese Community in Australia, South Australian Chapter (VCASA)'. Australian Professional Society on Alcohol and Other Drugs (APSAD) Annual Conference
5. Frank, O.R, Stocks, N. & Aylward, P. (2009) 'Increasing performance of preventive activities in general practice by reminding patients before consultations'. Report on the evaluation of an innovative automated system of patient reminders in general practice. GP & PHC Research Conference
6. Aylward, P. (2009). 'Blending a methodology for action orientated community health research in a multi-site longitudinal intervention for families with attachment issues'. Health in Transition Conference, Brisbane
7. Aylward, P. (2008) Evaluating a Multi-Site Longitudinal Intervention for families with attachment issues – Blending epistemologies? Australasian Evaluation Society International Conference
8. Aylward, P. (2008) 'Cross-cultural health care evaluation of a clean needle program in SA'. GP & PHC Research Conference
9. Aylward, P. (2007) Crafting synergistic approaches to culturally appropriate evaluation in sensitive contexts: The Vietnamese Clean Needle Program in South Australia. PHCRED State-wide Conference.
10. Aylward, P. (2006) 'Evaluation of the Vietnamese Alcohol Community Education Project' - Poster. APSAD Annual Conference
11. Aylward, P., Lawler, M. & Taylor, J. (2006). 'Evaluation of the SA National Suicide Prevention Strategy Community Initiatives: The policy, practice and delivery implications of community capacity building'. GP & PHC Research Conference
12. Shumer, R. & Aylward, P. (2006) 'Empowerment Evaluation, Self Assessment and Capacity Building: A View From Up Here and Down Under'. International Conference of the American Evaluation Association
13. Aylward, P. (2006) 'Evaluation of the National Suicide Prevention Strategy Community Initiatives in South Australia: Juggling Planning and Practice'. Suicide Prevention Australia (SPA) Annual Conference
14. Aylward, P. (2005). 'The role of PAR in enhancing collaboration and partnership in the National Suicide Prevention Strategy in South Australia'. GP & PHC Research Conference
15. Aylward, P. (2005) 'Developing an evaluation model for an alcohol and mixed alcohol and other drug consumption education project for the Vietnamese Community in South Australia'. International Harm Reduction Conference, Belfast
16. Aylward, P. (2005)’ An External Evaluation of Peer Education in Four Clean Needle Program Sites across Outer Metropolitan South Australia: Balancing needs and sharing rewards'. International Harm Reduction Conference, Belfast
17. Aylward, P. (2005) 'Collaboration and partnership for the National Suicide Prevention Strategy in South Australia – Lessons from a PAR approach to evaluating complex multi-site projects which address vulnerable target groups'. International Harm Reduction Conference, Belfast
· Australasian Evaluation Society
· Amnesty International
· Harm Reduction International
· Action Learning and Action Research Association
· Hoi Sinh Committee (Vietnamese Community in Australia SA Chapter)
Peer Reviewer for:
· Department of Human Services Research and Innovation Program 2003/2004
· Australian Education Researcher Journal
· Panel of writers and reviewers in the area of promotion, prevention and early intervention for mental health and suicide prevention, Commonwealth Government, 2004
· Action Learning and Action Research Association Journal
· Advances in Mental Health
· Harm Reduction and Injecting Drug Use and the Needle and Syringe Program
· Vietnamese Injecting Drug use in South Australia
· Social Research Methods and Methodology: Qualitative and Quantitative
· Public Health Education
- Evaluation Report - Through_the_Looking_Glass_Evaulation_Report.pdf [1.8MB] (application/pdf)
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 29 Aug 2017
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.aylward