Dr Rahul Nair
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 2558|
Adelaide Health and Medical Sciences
2005 –2008 The University of Iowa Iowa City, IA
MS in Dental Public Health
2003 - 2005 Western Kentucky University Bowling Green , KY
Master of Public Health
1997 - 2002 Manipal Academy of Higher Education Mangalore, India
Bachelor of Dental Surgery
· Evidence based healthcare.
· Cariology - clinical preventive interventions.
· Research design (epidemiological designs).
· Clinical ICDAS scoring calibration.
· Developed and directed undergraduate course for Evidence Based Dentistry from 2009 to 2015.
· Developed and directed undergraduate course Oral Epidemiology from 2009 to 2015 for undergraduate students.
· Developed and participated in undergraduate course for Cariology with emphasis on clinical prevention strategies and diagnostics (2008-2015).
· Developed and conducted teaching of epidemiologic research design for dental post-graduates (2009-2014).
· Conducted teaching related research projects, with one publication and a poster award (indicated above).
· Supervised six undergraduate student groups for research projects, where two of the projects won international awards and three others won school level awards.
· Supervised five post-graduate students for their Master’s thesis (one as main supervisor and four as co-supervisor).
· Currently supervising four Master’s students as the co-supervisor.
1. Nair, R., Ishaque, S., Spencer, A.J., Luzzi, L., Do, L.G. (Accepted on 04-03-2018) Critical review of the validity of patient satisfaction questionnaires pertaining to oral-health care. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology.
2. Nair, R., Chiu, S., Chua, Y., Dhillon, I., Li, J., & Yee Ting Fai, R. (2017). Should short-term use of alcohol-containing mouthrinse be avoided for fear of worsening xerostomia?. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. doi:10.1111/joor.12587
3. Tan, S., Vernazza, C., & Nair, R. (2017). Critical review of willingness to pay for clinical oral health interventions. Journal of Dentistry, 64, 1-12. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2017.06.010
4. Lim, S., Kiang, L., Manohara, R., Tong, H., Nair, R., Hong, C., & Hu, S. (2017). Interim therapeutic restoration approach versus treatment under general anaesthesia approach. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 27(6), 551-557. doi:10.1111/ipd.12296
5. Tong, H., Lee, H., Lee, Y., Low, Y., Lim, C., & Nair, R. (2017). Factors influencing the inclusion of oral health education in individualized education plans of children with autism spectrum disorders in Singapore. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 27(4), 255-263. doi:10.1111/ipd.12257
6. Nair, R., Tsakos, G., & Yee Ting Fai, R. (2016). Testing reliability and validity of oral impacts on daily performances for Chinese-speaking elderly Singaporeans. Gerodontology, 33(4), 499-505. doi:10.1111/ger.12192
7. Goh, C., Guay, M., Lim, M., Lim, S., Loke, S., Toh, H., & Nair, R. (2016). Correlates of attitudes and perceived behavioural control towards oral care provision among trained and untrained nursing home caregivers in Singapore. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25(11-12), 1624-1633. doi:10.1111/jocn.13162
8. Nair, R., Chuang, J., Lee, P., Leo, S., Yang, N., Yee, R., & Tong, H. (2016). Adult perceptions of dental fluorosis and select dental conditions-an Asian perspective. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 44(2), 135-144. doi:10.1111/cdoe.12197
9. Nair, R., & Yee, R. (2016). Differences in willingness to pay for an extraction, a filling, and cleaning teeth at various levels of oral health-related quality of life, as measured by oral impacts on daily performance, among older adults in Singapore. Singapore Dental Journal, 37, 2-8. doi:10.1016/j.sdj.2016.10.003
10. Ng, J., Eu, O., Nair, R., & Hong, C. (2015). Prevalence of molar incisor hypomineralization (MIH) in Singaporean children. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 25(2), 73-78. doi:10.1111/ipd.12100
11. Dutt, A., Chen, I., & Nair, R. (2015). Reliability and Validity of Skills and Needs Inventories in Functional Behavior Assessments and Interventions for School Personnel. The Journal of Special Education, 49(4), 233-242. doi:10.1177/0022466915574598
12. Nair, R., & Ai-Min, A. M. (2015). A conceptual framework (Cat-4) for estimating clinical relevance of evidence related to oral diagnosis. Journal of Interdisciplinary Dentistry, 5(3), 114-118.
13. Mei Na, T., Nair, R., Di Ying, J., & Yee, R. (2014). Oral health status and complete denture status of independent-living Singaporean elderly residing in a community home. Singapore Dental Journal, 35, 9-15. doi:10.1016/j.sdj.2014.07.002
14. Nair, R., Wong, A., Ngo, J., & Wong, M. L. (2011). Common Dental Conditions in Adults. The Singapore Family Physician, 37(1), 14-17.
15. Yee T.F.R., and Nair, R. (2011). Technology in higher education: The state of the art. Wetpaint Cariology Project. National University of Singapore: Centre for the Development of Teaching & Learning, National University of Singapore.
16. Nair, R., Weber-Gasparoni, K., Marshall, T., Warren, J., & Levy, S. (2010). Factors affecting early childhood caries among WIC-enrolled children in Linn County, Iowa. Journal of Dentistry for Children, 77(3), 158-165.
17. Nair, R., Deguchi, T., Li, X., Katashiba, S., & Chan, Y. (2009). Quantitative analysis of the maxilla and the mandible in hyper- and hypodivergent skeletal class II pattern. Orthodontics and Craniofacial Research, 12(1), 9-13. doi:10.1111/j.1601-6343.2008.01431.x
18. Nair, R. (2008). Determinants of early childhood caries among WIC enrolled children in Linn county, Iowa. (Master's Thesis).
19. Tong, H. J., Nair, R., J, F., Tan, K. H., Lai, G., Ng, W. X., & Lua, E. (2017). Techniques to prepare children with autism spectrum disorder for dental visits [Design].
20. Nair, R., Nguee Ann, AM. (2017). Diagnosis of dental caries: A critical review of research methodology, the absence of pertinent clinical trials and its implications [Design].
21. Ishaque, S., Salter, A., Karnon, J., Chen, G., & Nair, R. (2016). A systematic review of randomized clinical trials evaluating the use of patient reported outcome measures (PROMs) to improve patient outcomes. [Design].
22. Nair, R. (2015). Evidence-Based Periodontics. In Nayak; Uppoor; CP (Ed.), Textbook Of Periodontology And Oral Implantology (2nd ed.). Elsevier India.
23. Levy, S. M., Chankanka, O., & Nair, R. (2006). A Review of Fluoride Intake Relevant to Canadian Water Fluoride Discussions.
1. Dutt, A., Chen, I, & Nair, R. Skills and training needs among Singaporean school personnel in using functional behavior assessments and behavioral interventions. Teacher Education and Special Education
2. Ishaque, S., Karnon, J., Chen, G., Nair, R., Salter, AB. A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials Evaluating the Use of Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs).
3. Nair, R., Do, LG., Luzzi, L., Brennan, D., Roberts-Thomson, KF., Spencer, AJ. Psychometric properties of the Child Oral-care Performance Assessment Scale (COPAS).
4. Nair, R, Pardesi, A., Yee, R.T.F., Ling, C.H.H. Psychometric properties of the Xerostomia Inventory and the Shortened Xerostomia Inventory in Chinese, Malay, Tamil and English-Speaking Singaporeans.
1. Dutt A., Nair, R., Cheng, A., Leong, S., Tan, M (2017). Evaluating the Effectiveness of a Web Based Training Program in Functional Behavioral Assessment and Interventions with Special Education schools in Singapore. Paper presented at Ninth International Conference - Association of Behavior Analysis International Paris, France.
2. Nair, R., & Nguee, A. M. (2017). A Systematic Review of Diagnostic Clinical Trials Assessing Diagnostic Procedures for Dental Caries. In IADR San Francisco. San Francisco.
3. Thean H.P.Y., Yu V.S.H., Yee R., Nair R. Relative Performance of NiTi and Stainless Steel Hand Instrumentation. Cape town, SA. IADR.
4. Nair, R., Chuang, J., Lee, P., Leo, S. J., Yang, N., YEE, R. T. F., & Tong, H. J. (2014). Treatment Needs for Dental Fluorosis, Select Conditions and Normal Dentition. In IADR. Cape Town, South Africa.
5. Dutt, A., Chen, I., & Nair, R. (2014, May). A Needs Analysis in Behavioural Assessments and Interventions within Special Education schools in Singapore. In B. Bassingthwaite (Chair), examples of behavior analysts meeting the needs of school-based personnel in behavior assessment and intervention. Symposium presented at the 40th annual convention of the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Chicago, IL.
6. Nair, R., Yee, T. F. R., Liang, S., & Tsakos, G. (2013). Quality of life and willingness-to-pay for dental extractions among Singaporean-elderly. In WCPD Conference Proceedings. Budapest, Hungary.
7. Nair, R., & Yee, T. F. R. (2013). A reliable and valid measure of quality of life for Chinese speaking elderly Singaporeans. In IADR APR Conference Proceedings. Bangkok, Thailand.
8. HSL, C., Nair, R., & Yee, T. F. R. (2013). Relationship between the Xerostomia Inventory and Stimulated Salivary Flow Rate. In IADR APR Conference Proceedings. Bangkok, Thailand.
9. Nair, R., & Xander, C. K. T. (2012). Comparing detection of non-cavitated carious lesions by ICDAS and FluoreCam™. In IADR SEA Conference Proceedings. Hong Kong.
10. Nair, R., & Yee, T. F. R. (2011). Learning Cariology Through Collaboration and Content creation. In IADR-SEAADE Conference Proceedings. Singapore.
11. Nair, R., Weber-Gasperoni, K., Warren, J. J., Marshall, T. A., & Levy, S. M. (2009). Determinants of ECC among WIC-enrolled children in Linn County, IA. In IADR APR Conference Proceedings. Wuhan, China.
12. Xiaobing, L., Nair, R., Lim, C. Y. A., & Foong, K. W. C. (2009). The evaluations of undergraduate clinic-based Orthodontic competency tests of National University of Singapore. In IADR APR. Wuhan.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Thursday, 9 Aug 2018
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/rahul.nair