Dr Ratilal Lalloo
Since April 2015, Ratilal is an Adjunct Associate Professor at ARCPOH.
He is also an NHMRC Chief Investigator B in the Menzies Health Institute Queensland, Griffith University, Queensland and holds an academic title of Professor in the School of Dentistry and Oral Health, Griffith University, Queensland.
He was a Senior Research Fellow at ARCPOH in April 2014 to March 2015. He was also the Acting Director of the Dental Practice Education Research Unit and Oral Health Promotion Clearinghouse.
Prior to this he was the Colgate Chair and Professor: Rural, Remote and Indigenous Oral Health, in the School of Dentistry & Oral Health, Griffith University, Queensland, a position he occupied from January 2009 to January 2014. Prior to this he has been an academic at two dental schools in South Africa for almost 20 years. In this period he has been extensively involved in the training of under- and post-graduate dental students, dental public health related research and management responsibilities at department, school and university levels. Rati is a dental public specialist, having completed his undergraduate degree in dentistry in 1986, an honours degree in Epidemiology in 1992, a Masters degree in Community Dentistry in 1994 and a PhD in Dental Public Health at the University College London in 2002, under the supervision of Professor Aubrey Sheiham.
Rati has published widely and his main research interest vary across many dental public health issues including evidence-based dentistry, oral health-related quality of life and health inequalities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dentistry (BChD)
- Honours Degree in Epidemiology (B Sc Med Hons [Epi])
- Master’s (Speciality) Degree in Community Dentistry (M Ch D)
- PhD in Epidemiology and Dental Public Health (London)
- Dental Public Health
- Oral Epidemiology
- Health Inequalities
- Health Services Research
- Evidence-Based Dentistry
1. Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Kroon J, Wallace V, Jamieson LM, Tut O, Kularatna S. Effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit of a single annual professional intervention for the prevention of childhood dental caries in a remote rural Indigenous community'. NHMRC Project Grant, 2015-2017; $1,020,590.
2. Gupta B, Johnson NW, Lalloo R. To determine life-course risk factors for cancers of upper-aero digestive tract in India and Australia, with special reference to potential socio-economic determinants and to oral health risk factors. Population and Social Health Research Program, PhD Researcher Grant, Griffith University; 2013; $3,000.
3. Ramov H. An Investigation of the demographic characteristics associated with non-emergency and emergency patient attendance rates at the Griffith University Dental Clinic (supervisors are Dr Mark Storrs and Prof Ratilal Lalloo). Australian Dental Research Foundation Inc.; 2012; $2,200.
4. Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Kroon J, Fernando S, Tut O. Evaluating the efficacy of fluoridation of drinking water on prevention of dental caries in remote Indigenous communities in North Queensland. Population and Social Health Research Program, Ad hoc Seeding Grant Scheme, Griffith University; 2012; $4,000.
5. Johnson NW, Gao J, Lalloo R, Perera R. Evaluating the efficacy of fluoridation of drinking water on prevention of dental caries in remote Indigenous communities in North Queensland. Griffith University/James Cook University Collaborative Grants Scheme; 2011; $8,000.
6. Lalloo R. Clinical Education and Training (Oral Health Unit) Queensland Health grant of $45,000 to investigate patient flow issues at the Brewarrina rural dental clinic and inform the planned Cherbourg dental training facility project.
7. Aldridge, L, Coghill, G, Short, L, Wilkinson, S, Dillon, G, Evans, J & Lalloo, R. Inspiring and supporting local indigenous students towards careers in medicine and dentistry. Gold Coast, South Coast Regional Office, Education Queensland; 2009-10; $31,373.
8. Aldridge, L, Coghill, G, Short, L, Wilkinson, S, Dillon, G, Evans, J & Lalloo, R. Inspiring and supporting local indigenous students towards careers in medicine and dentistry. Gold Coast, South Coast Regional Office, Education Queensland; 2011; $15,000.
1. GBD 2013 DALYs and HALE Collaborators (Lalloo R) Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 306 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 188 countries, 1990-2013: quantifying the epidemiological transition. Lancet Published online: August 26, 2015 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)61340-X.
2. Lalloo R, Kroon J, Tut O, Kularatna S, Jamieson LM, Wallace V, Boase R, Fernando S, Cadet-James Y, Scuffham PA, Johnson NW. (2015) Effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit of a single annual professional intervention for the prevention of childhood dental caries in a remote rural Indigenous community. BMC Oral Health 15: 99.
3. Kisely S, Baghaie H, Lalloo R, Siskind D, Johnson NW. (2015) A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between poor oral health and severe mental illness. Psychosomatic Medicine 77(1):83-92.
4. Gupta B, Lalloo R, Johnson NW. (2015) Life course models for upper aero-digestive tract cancer. International Dental Journal 1 May 2015 | DOI: 10.1111/idj.12167.
5. Global Burden of Disease Study 2013 Collaborators (Lalloo R) (2015). Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 301 acute and chronic diseases and injuries in 188 countries, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet Published Online June 8, 2015 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(15)60692-4.
6. Amarasena N, Lalloo R. (2015) Teething and Sleep Difficulties: findings from the Longitudinal Study of Indigenous children. ANZ Journal of Public Health 2015 Jun 11. doi: 10.1111/1753-6405.12388.
7. Kisely S, Baghaie H, Lalloo R, Johnson NW. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the association between poor oral health and eating disorders. British Journal of Psychiatry (in press).
8. Storrs M, Ramov H, Lalloo R. An investigation into Patient Non-attendance and Use of an SMS Reminder System at a University Dental Clinic. Journal of Dental Education (in press).
9. GBD Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators (Lalloo R) (2014) Global, regional, and national levels of age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet pii: S0140-6736(14)61682-2. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61682-2.
10. Lalloo R, Jamieson LM, Ha D, Ellershaw A, Luzzi L. (2014) Does fluoride in the water close the dental caries gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous children in Australia? Australian Dental Journal doi: 10.1111/adj.12239.
11. Lalloo R, Kroon J. (2014) Impact of initiatives to reduce public dental waiting lists in Queensland, Australia. Australian Journal of Primary Health doi: 10.1071/PY14063.
12. Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Kroon J, Fernando S, Tut O. (2014) Effectiveness of water fluoridation in caries reduction in a remote Indigenous community in Far-North Queensland. Australian Dental Journal 59(3): 366-71.
13. Srisilapanan P, Korwanich N, Lalloo R. (2014) Associations between social inequality and tooth loss in a household sample of elderly Thai people aged ≥ 60 years old. Gerodontology DOI: 10.1111/ger.12140.
14. Ongtengco K, Anthonappa R, Itthagarun A, King NM, Lalloo R, Nair, R. (2014) Remineralization of initial enamel carious lesions using fluoridated milk in vitro. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 72(8): 737-44.
15. Kassebaum NJ, Bertozzi-Villa A, Coggeshall MS ... Lalloo R ... et al. (2014) Global, regional, and national levels and causes of maternal mortality during 1990-2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 384(9947): 980-1004.
16. Kumar S, Kroon J, Lalloo R. (2014) A systematic review on the impact of parental socio-economic status and home environment characteristics on children's Oral Health Related Quality of Life. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 12: 41.
17. Lalloo R, Evans JL, Johnson NW. (2013) Dental students' reflections on a clinical placement in a rural & Indigenous community, Australia. Journal of Dental Education 77(9): 1193-1201.
18. Lalloo R, Kroon J. (2013) An analysis of public dental service waiting lists in Queensland. Australian Journal of Primary Health, http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/PY13048.
19. Lalloo R, McDonald J (2013). Appointment attendance at a rural dental training facility in Australia. BMC Oral Health 13(1): 36.
20. Ayo-Yusuf AO, Lalloo R, Johnson NW. (2013) Trends and ethnic disparities in oral and pharyngeal cancers in South Africa, 1992-2001. South African Dental Journal 68(4): 168-173.
21. Lalloo R, Kisely S, Amarasinghe H, Perera R, Johnson N. (2013) Oral health of patients on psychotropic medications: a study of outpatients in Queensland. Australasian Psychiatry 21(4): 338-42.
22. Lalloo R, Massey W. (2013) Cost analysis of a dental training facility in rural & remote Australia. Australian Journal of Rural Health 21(3): 158-162.
23. Lalloo R, Evans JL, Johnson NW. (2013) Dental care provision by students on a remote rural clinical placement. Aust N Z J Public Health 37(1): 47-51.
24. Lim SS, Vos T, Flaxman AD, ... Lalloo R, et al. (2013) A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2013; 380(9859): 2224-60.
25. Murray CJ, Vos T, Lozano R, ... Lalloo R, et al. (2013) Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380(9859): 2197-223.
26. Vos T, Flaxman AD, Naghavi M, ... Lalloo R, et al. (2013) Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380(9859): 2163-96.
27. Kroon J, Reid K, Cutting J, Lalloo R, Chiu K. (2012) Opinion of residents from the Gold Coast, Queensland on community water fluoridation. Journal of Clinical and Investigative Dentistry doi: 10.1111/jicd.12015.
28. Lasmar MF, Reher VGS, Lalloo R, Reher P. (2012) Differences in enamel demineralization and bracket bond strength to acid-etched, Er:YAG laser-treated or a combination of both. Australian Dental Journal 57(2): 190-195.
29. Kisely S, Quek L-H, Pais J, Lalloo R, Johnson NW (2011). A systematic review and meta-analysis of the oral health of people with severe mental illness. British Journal of Psychiatry 199(3): 187-193.
30. Itthagarun A, Verma S, Lalloo R, King NM, Wefel JS, Nair RG. (2011) Effects of fluoridated milk on artificial enamel carious lesions: A pH cycling study. Journal of Dentistry 39(12): 817-24.
31. Lalloo R, Johnson NW, Blinkhorn A, Ichim P. (2011) Australian dental students views on a compulsory internship scheme. Health Education Journal 70(4): 468-474.
32. Amarasinghe HK, Usgodaarachchi US, Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Warnakulasuriya S. (2010) Betel-quid chewing with or without tobacco is a major risk factor for oral potentially malignant disorders in Sri Lanka: A case-control study. Oral Oncology 46, 297-301.
33. Amarasinghe HK, Warnakulasuriya S, Lalloo R, Kumaraarachchi MP, Johnson NW. (2010) Derivation and validation of a risk factor model for detection of potentially malignant disorders in populations with high prevalence. British Journal of Cancer 103, 303-9.
34. Amarasinghe HK, Usgodaarachchi US, Johnson NW, Lalloo R, Warnakulasuriya S. (2010) Public awareness of oral cancer, of oral potentially malignant disorders and of their risk factors in some rural populations in Sri Lanka. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 38, 540-548.
35. Singh S, Myburgh NG, Lalloo R. (2010) Policy Analysis of Oral Health Promotion in South Africa. Global Health Promotion 17: 16-24.
36. M Hobdell, G Tsakos, A Sprod, TE Ladrillo, MW Ross, N Gordon, N Myburgh and R Lalloo. (2009) Using an oral health-related quality of life measure in three cultural settings. International Dental Journal 59, 381-388.
37. N Matu, L Stephen, R Lalloo. (2009) Prevalence and severity of periodontal disease: type 2 diabetics versus non-diabetics. South African Dental Journal 64, 64-68.
38. RR Lesolang, DP Motloba, R Lalloo. (2009) Reasons for Tooth Extraction at the Winterveldt Clinic: 1998-2002. South African Dental Journal 64, 214-218.
39. R Lalloo, L Ayo-Yusuf, V Yengopal. (2008) Early-phase dental students' motivations and expectations concerning the study and profession of dentistry. South African Dental Journal 63, 216-220.
40. MP Pattussi, R Lalloo, DG Bassani, MTA Olinto. (2008) The role of psychosocial, behavioural and emotional factors on self-reported major injuries in Brazilian adolescents: A case-control study. Injury 39, 561-569.
41. MJ Smith, GC Solanki, R Lalloo, NG Myburgh, JE Cornell. (2008) Support for Social Health Insurance in South Africa. Journal of Health Management 10, 1-8.
42. R Lalloo. (2008) Oral health services provided in private sector - how much of it fits in with the National Oral Health Strategy and national oral health needs? (Editorial). South African Dental Journal, 63, 424.
43. R Lalloo, MS Turton. (2008) Fissure sealants on first molars - consequences of a one-year delay. Community Dental Health. 25, 191-192.
44. I Amra, G Samsodien, A Shaikh, R Lalloo. (2007) Xeno® III Self Etching Adhesive in Orthodontic Bonding - The Next Generation. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics 131, 160.e11-160.e15.
45. Lalloo R. (2007) A National Human Resources Plan for Oral Health: the way forward (editorial). South African Dental Journal 62, 146.
46. GC Solanki, R Lalloo, NG Myburgh. (2007) Topical fluoride and fissure sealants: Matching insurance claims with evidence. South African Dental Journal 62, 202-205.
47. R Adam, GAVM Geerts, R Lalloo. (2007) The impact of new complete dentures on oral health-related quality of life. South African Dental Journal 62, 264-268.
48. Lalloo R. (2007) A National Human Resources Plan for Oral Health: is it feasible? South African Dental Journal 62, 360-364.
49. Lalloo R, Naidoo S, Myburgh N. (2006) Dental specialist training in South Africa - demographic characteristics 1985-2004. South African Dental Journal 61, 110-112.
50. Lalloo R., McMillan W, Gugushe TS, Ligthelm, AJ., Evans WG., Moola, MH. (2005) Gender and race distribution of dental graduates (1985-2004) and first year dental students (2000-2005). South African Dental Journal 60, 206-209.
51. Lalloo R. (2005) A review of paediatric maxillofacial injuries - a hospital-based study. South African Dental Journal 60, 54-57.
52. Lalloo R, van As AB. (2005) A comparison of children with injuries to the head and children with injuries to the body (scientific letter). South African Medical Journal 95, 332.
53. Bataringaya A, Ferguson M, Lalloo R. (2005) The impact of ebinyo, a form of dental mutilation, on the malocclusion status in Uganda. Community Dental Health 22, 146-150.
54. GC Solanki, MJ Smith, NG Myburgh R Lalloo. (2005) Patient satisfaction with health care providers in South Africa: the influences of race and socioeconomic status. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 17, 473-477; Advanced access http://intqhc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/mzi062v1
55. Chandran R, Lalloo R, Myburgh NG, Chandran TM. (2005) Risk of oral cancer associated with tobacco smoking and alcohol consumption - a case control study in the Western Cape, South Africa. South African Dental Journal 60, 326-328.
56. Hodbdell M.H., Johnson N.W., Lalloo R. and Myburgh N. (2004) Progress in policy issues to improve oral health in Africa (editorial). Oral Diseases 10, 125-128.
57. Myburgh N.G., Hobdell M.H. and Lalloo R. (2004) African countries propose a regional health strategy: The Dakar Report from 1998. Oral Diseases 10, 129-137.
58. Lalloo R. and van As AB. (2004) Profile of childhood head injuries treated at the trauma unit of the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital: 1991-2001. South African Medical Journal 94, 544-546.
59. Lalloo R, Smith MJ, Myburgh N. and Solanki GC. (2004) Access to health care in South Africa - the influence of race and class. South African Medical Journal 94, 639-642.
60. M.H. Hobdell, E. R. Oliveira, R. Bautista, N.G. Myburgh, R. Lalloo, S. Narendran, N. W. Johnson (2003) Oral diseases and Socio-economic Status (SES). British Dental Journal 194, 91-96.
61. Lalloo R. (2003) Evidence-based dentistry--is it possible? (letter) South African Dental Journal, 58, 165.
62. Lalloo R. (2003) Risk factors for major injuries to the face and teeth. Dental Traumatology 19, 12-14.
63. Lalloo R. and Sheiham A. (2003) Risk factors for childhood major and minor head and other injuries in a nationally representative sample. Injury 34, 261-266.
64. Lalloo R, Sheiham A and Nazroo J. (2003) Behavioural characteristics and accidents: findings from the Health Survey for England, 1997. Accident Analysis and Prevention 35, 661-667.
65. Lalloo R. (2003) Evidence-based practice: Knowledge and attitudes of selected South African dental practitioners. South African Dental Journal 58, 358.
66. Lalloo R. (2003) What happens to the real needy? (letter) South African Dental Journal 58, 387.
67. Kassan AH., Lalloo R. and Kariem G. (2000) A retrospective analysis of gunshot injuries to the maxillofacial region. Journal of South African Dental Association 55, 359-363.
68. Solanki GC, Lalloo R. (1999) A Comparison of Service Profiles in Alternative Dental Care Delivery Systems. Journal of the South African Dental Association 54, 291-293.
69. Lalloo R., Hobdell MH., Myburgh NG. (1999) Dental caries, socio-economic development and national oral health policies. International Dental Journal 49, 196-202.
70. Hobdell M.H., Lalloo, R. and Myburgh, N.G. (1999) The human development index and per capita gross national product as predictors of dental caries prevalence in industrialized and industrializing countries. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 896, 329-331.
71. Lalloo R., Hobdell MH., Mosha HJ, Mboli F. and Tanda A. (1999) Dental caries status of 5-7 year old children in Tanzania, Uganda and Mozambique. Tropical Dental Health 87, 46-48.
72. Lalloo R. (1998) Dental caries status by surface and treatment needs of 5-7 year old children in Tanzania, Uganda and Mozambique. Tropical Dental Health 83, 12-15.
73. Hobdell MH., Chikte U., Lalloo R., Myburgh NG. and Owen CP. (1997) Oral Diseases in Africa: A challenge for change in priorities for oral health policy. Oral Diseases 3, 216-222.
74. Lalloo R., Solanki GS. (1994) An evaluation of a comprehensive public oral health care programme. Community Dental Health 11, 152-155.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 1 Sep 2015