Dr Stijn Soenen
|Org Unit||Medical Specialties|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 3638|
2010 Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD), Department of Human Biology, School for Nutrition Toxicology and Metabolism (NUTRIM), Top Institute Food and Nutrition (TIFN), Faculty of Health Medicine and Life Sciences (FHML), Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
2005 Master of Science (MSc; Cum Laude), Biological Health Science at the Faculty of Health Sciences, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
2002 Bachelor of Science (BSc; with distinction), Nutrition and Dietetics Studies at the Department Rega, Catholic High School Leuven (KHL), Leuven, Belgium
2013 Travel Award of the Discipline of Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, The University of Adelaide
2009 Young Investigator Award of the Winter Neuropeptides Conference (WNPC)
2008 Travel Award of the Netherlands Association for the Study of Obesity (NASO)
2005 Catharina Pijls Thesis Award for the MSc thesis titled: 'Intramyocellular lipid accummulation - and early symptoms of the insulin resistant condition'
2016-18 Florey Fellowship of the RAH Research Foundation, Adelaide, Australia ($384,000)
2016 Soenen S, Chapman I, Horowitz M - Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Foundation Clinical Project Grant - Project title: Acute effects of oral nutrients on appetite and energy intake, gastric emptying and gut hormones in undernourished, obese and healthy older individuals ($49,980)
2016 Chapman M, Deane A, Soenen S, van Loon L, Costello L - Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Foundation Clinical Project Grant - Project title: The effect of protein hydrolysis on the rate and extent of protein absorption and muscle uptake in critically ill patients ($49,560)
2015-16 Soenen S, van Loon L, Chapman I, Horowitz M - Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Foundation Clinical Project Grant - Project title: Dietary protein digestion and absorption kinetics and subsequent postprandial muscle protein accretion in healthy young and older people ($49,920)
2015 Jones KL, Soenen S, Rayner CK - Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Foundation NHMRC Near Miss Project Grant - Project title Postprandial hypotension - gastrointestinal mechanisms and management ($50,000)
2015 Arjuna T, Chapman I, Luscombe-Marsh N, Soenen S, Puspaningtyas D, Amelia R - Community Service Research Grant of the Universitas Gadjah Mada, Yogyakarta, Indonesia - Project title: Factors associated with nutritional status of older people living in urban and rural area of Yogyakarta province ($15,000)
2014-15 Soenen S, Horowitz M, Chapman I - Adelaide Geriatrics Training and Research with Aged Care (G-TRAC) Centre – Resthaven Research Grant Scheme - Project title: Acute effects of protein ‘preloads’ on appetite and energy intake in healthy young and well- and under-nourished older individuals - role of gastrointestinal mechanisms ($50,000)
2014 Soenen S, Luscombe-Marsh N, Horowitz M, Chapman I - Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Foundation Clinical Project Grant - Project title: Comparative effects of protein-rich ‘preloads’ on appetite and energy intake in healthy young and older individuals - role of gastrointestinal mechanisms ($49,980)
2014 Mary Overton Early Career Fellowship Extension of the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) Research Foundation, Adelaide, Australia ($84,000)
2013 Soenen S, Luscombe-Marsh N, Horowitz M, Chapman I - Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Foundation Clinical Project Grant - Project title: The effect of dietary protein and state of nutrition on appetite and energy intake in older individuals - role of gastrointestinal mechanisms ($49,980)
2013 Luscombe-Marsh N, Chapman I, Visvanathan R, Miller M, Soenen S - Philantrophic funding from Meals on Wheels South Australia Inc. - Project title: Protein and energy supplementation of 'Meals on Wheels': a strategy to improve quality of life and reduce hospital admissions in frail elderly community-dwelling Australians ($50,000)
2011-13 Mary Overton Early Career Fellowship of the RAH Research Foundation, Adelaide, Australia ($252,000)
2010 Kootstra Talent Early Career Fellowship of Maastricht University Medical Centre (MUMC+), Maastricht, The Netherlands
Refereed original publications:
1. Giezenaar C, Trahair LG, Rigda R, Hutchison AT, Feinle-Bisset C, Luscombe-Marsh ND, Hausken T, Jones KL, Horowitz M, Chapman I, Soenen S. Lesser suppression of energy intake by orally ingested whey protein in healthy older men compared with young controls. American Journal of Physiology - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology 2015 Published online Aug 19
2. Soenen S, Giezenaar C, Hutchison AT, Horowitz M, Chapman I, Luscombe-Marsh ND. Effects of intraduodenal protein on appetite, energy intake, and antropyloroduodenal motility in healthy older compared with young men in a randomized trial. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2014;100(4):1108-15.
3. Schultz T, Kitson A, Soenen S, Long L, Shanks A, Wiechula R, Chapman I, Lange K. Does a multidisciplinary nutritional intervention prevent nutritional decline in hospital patients? A stepped wedge randomised cluster trial. e-SPEN 2014;9(2):e84-e90.
4. Kitson A, Schultz T, Long L, Shanks A, Wiechula R, Chapman I, Soenen S. The prevention and reduction of weight loss in an acute tertiary care setting: protocol for a pragmatic stepped wedge randomised cluster trial (the PRoWL project). BMC Health Services Research 2013;13(1):299-308.
5. Soenen S, Martens E, Hochstenbach-Waelen A, Lemmens S, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Normal protein intake is required for body weight loss and weight maintenance, and elevated protein intake for additional preservation of resting energy expenditure and fat free mass. J Nutr 2013;143(5):591-6.
6. Bonomi A, Soenen S, Goris A, Westerterp K. Weight-loss induced changes in physical activity and activity energy expenditure in overweight and obese subjects before and after energy restriction. Plos One 2013;8(3)e59641.
7. Soenen S, Bonomi A, Lemmens S, Scholte J, Thijssen M, Van Berkum F, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Relatively high-protein or 'low-carb' energy-restricted diets for body weight loss and body weight maintenance? Physiol Behav 2012;107(3):374-80.
8. Soenen S, Hochstenbach-Waelen A, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Efficacy of alpha-lactalbumin and milk protein on weight loss and body composition during energy restriction. Obesity 2011;19(2):370-9.
9. Plasqui G, Soenen S, Westerterp-Plantenga M, Westerterp K. Measurement of longitudinal changes in body composition during weight loss and maintenance in overweight and obese subjects using air-displacement plethysmography in comparison with the deuterium dilution technique. Int J Obes 2011;35(8):1124-30.
10. Hochstenbach-Waelen A, Soenen S, Westerterp K, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Effects of a supra-sustained gelatin protein diet compared with (supra-) sustained milk protein diets on body-weight loss. Br J Nutr 2011;105(9):1388-98.
11. Hochstenbach-Waelen A, Westerterp K, Soenen S, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. No long-term weight maintenance effects of gelatin in a supra-sustained protein diet. Physiol Behav 2010;101(2):237-44.
12. Soenen S, Plasqui G, Smeets A, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Protein intake induced an increase in exercise stimulated fat oxidation during stable body weight. Physiol Behav 2010;101(5):770-4.
13. Soenen S, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Changes in body fat percentage during body weight stable conditions of increased daily protein intake vs. control. Physiol Behav 2010;101(5):635-8.
14. Soenen S, Mariman E, Vogels N, Bouwman F, Den Hoed M, Brown L, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Relationship between perilipin gene polymorphisms and body weight and body composition during weight loss and weight maintenance. Physiol Behav 2009;96(4-5):723-8.
15. Smeets A, Soenen S, Luscombe-Marsh N, Ueland O, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Energy expenditure, satiety, and plasma ghrelin, glucagon-like peptide 1, and peptide tyrosine-tyrosine concentrations following a single high-protein lunch. J Nutr 2008;138(4):698-702.
16. Corpeleijn E, Pelsers M, Soenen S, Mensink M, Bouwman F, Kooi M, Saris W, Glatz J, Blaak E. Insulin acutely upregulates protein expression of the fatty acid transporter CD36 in human skeletal muscle in vivo. J Physiol Pharmacol 2008;59(1):77-83.
17. Soenen S, Westerterp-Plantenga M. No differences in satiety or energy intake after high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose, or milk preloads. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86(6):1586-94
18. Diepvens K, Soenen S, Steijns J, Arnold M, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Long-term effects of consumption of a novel fat emulsion in relation to body-weight management. Int J Obesity 2007;31(6):942-9
1. Soenen S, Rayner CK, Jones KL, Horowitz M. The Ageing Gastrointestinal Tract. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care. 2015 In press.
2. Soenen S, Rayner CK, Horowitz M, Jones KL. Gastric Emptying in the Elderly. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2015;31(3):339-53.
3. Soenen S, Chapman I. Body weight, anorexia, and under-nutrition in older people. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2013;14(9):642-8.
4. Westerterp-Plantenga M, Niewenhuizen A, Tome D, Soenen S, Westerterp KR. Dietary protein, weight loss and weight maintenance. Annu Rev Nutr 2009;29:21-41.
5. Veldhorst M, Smeets A, Soenen S, Hochstenbach-Waelen A, Hursel R, Diepvens K, Lejeune M, Luscombe-Marsh N, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Protein-induced satiety: effects and mechanisms of different proteins. Physiol Behav 2008;94(2):300-307.
6. Soenen S, Westerterp-Plantenga M. Proteins and satiety: implications for weight management. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 2008;11(6):747-51.
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/stijn.soenen