· Lyons GH and Genc Y (2016). Commercial Humates in Agriculture: Real Substance or Smoke and Mirrors? Agronomy, 6, 50. DOI:10.3390/agronomy6040050.
· Genc Y, Oldach K, Taylor J and Lyons GH (2015). Uncoupling of sodium and chloride to assist breeding for salinity tolerance in crops. New Phytologist 210:145-156.DOI: 10.1111/nph.13757.
· Tiong J, McDonald GK, Genc Y, Shirley N, Langridge P and Huang CY (2015) Increased expression of six ZIP family genes by Zn deficiency is associated with enhanced uptake and root-to-shoot translocation of Zn in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). New Phytologist. DOI: 10.1111/nph.13413.
· Genc Y, Taylor J, Rongala J and Oldach K (2014). A major locus for chloride concentration on chromosome 5A of bread wheat. PLOS ONE. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0098845.
· Tiong J, McDonald GK, Genc Y, Pedas P, Hayes JE, Toubia J, Langridge P and Huang CY (2013). HvZIP7 mediates Zn accumulation in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) at moderately high Zn supply. New Phytologist. DOI: 10.1111/nph.12468.
· Genc Y, Oldach K, Gogel BJ, Wallwork H, McDonald GK and Smith AB (2013). Quantitative trait loci for agronomical and physiological traits for a bread wheat population grown in environments with a range of salinity levels. Molecular Breeding 32: 39-59. DOI 10.1007/s11032-013-9851-y·
· Shavrukov Y, Genc Y and Hayes J (2012). The use of hydroponics in abiotic stress tolerance research. Hydroponics-A standard methodology for plant biological researches (Ed. T. Asao). pp 39-66, ISBN 979-953-307-480-0.
· Huang C, Shirley N, Genc Y, Shi B and Langridge P (2011). Phosphate utilization efficiency correlates with expression of low-affinity phosphate transporters and non-coding RNA, IPS1, in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant Physiology 156: 1217-1229. DOI:10.1104/pp.111.178459.
· Genc Y, Oldach K, Verbyla A, Lott G, Hassan M, Tester M, Wallwork H and McDonald GK (2010). Sodium exclusion QTL associated with improved seedling growth in bread wheat under salinity stress. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 121: 877-894. DOI: 10.1007/s00122-010-1357-y.
· Genc Y, Tester M and McDonald GK (2010). Calcium requirement of wheat in saline and non-saline conditons. Plant and Soil 327: 331-345. DOI: 10.1007/s11104-009-0057-3.
· Genc Y, Humphries JM, Lyons GH and Graham RD (2009). Breeding for quantitative variables. Part 4: Breeding for nutritional quality traits. In: Plant Breeding and Farmer Participation (Eds. S, Ceccarelli, E.P. Guimaraes and E. Weltzien). pp 419-448. FAO. Rome. ISBN 978-92-5-106382-8.
· Lyons GH, Genc Y, Sole K, Stangoulis JCR, Liu F and Graham RD (2009). Selenium increases seed production in higher plants. Plant and Soil 318: 73-80.DOI: 10.1007/s11104-008-9818-7.
· Genc Y, Verbyla AP, Torun AA, Cakmak I, Willsmore K, Wallwork H and McDonald GK (2009). Quantitative trait loci analysis of zinc efficiency and grain zinc concentration in wheat using whole genome average interval mapping. Plant and Soil 314:49-66. DOI: 10.1007/s11104-008-9704-3.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK (2008). Domesticated emmer wheat [T. turgidum L. subsp. dicoccon (Schrank) Thell.] as a source for improvement of zinc efficiency in durum wheat. Plant and Soil 310: 67-75. DOI: 10.1007/s11104-008-9630-4.
· Huang CY, Roessner U, Eickmeier I, Genc Y, Callahan D, Shirley N, Langridge P and Bacic A (2008). Metabolite profiling reveals distinct changes in carbon and nitrogen metabolism in phosphate-deficient barley plants (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 691-703.
· McDonald GK, Genc Y, Graham RD (2008). A simple method to evaluate genetic variation in grain zinc concentration by correcting for differences in grain yield. Plant and Soil 306: 49-55. DOI: 10.1007/s11104-008-9555-y.
· Lyons GH, Genc Y and Graham RD (2008). Biofortification in the food chain, and use of selenium and phyto-compounds in risk reduction and control of prostate cancer. In: Development and uses of biofortified agricultural products (Eds. GS Banuelos and Zhi-Qing Lin). pp 394, CRC Press.
· Genc Y, Huang CY and Langridge P (2007). A study of the role of root morphological traits on growth of barley in zinc-deficient soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2775-2784. DOI:10.1093/jxb/erm142.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK and Tester M (2007). Re-assessment of tissue Na+ concentration as a criterion for salinity tolerance in bread wheat. Plant Cell and Environment 30: 1486-1498 DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3040.2007.01726.x.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK and Graham RD (2006). Contribution of different mechanisms to zinc efficiency in bread wheat during early vegetative stage. Plant and Soil 281: 353-367.
· Lyons GH, Judson G, Ortiz-Monasterio I, Genc Y, Stangoulis JCR and Graham RD (2005). Selenium in Australia: Selenium status and biofortification of wheat for better health. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology 19: 75-82.
· Genc Y, Humphries JM, Graham HL and Graham RD (2005). Exploiting genotypic variation in plant nutrient accumulation to alleviate micronutrient deficiency in populations. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology 18: 319-324.
· Lyons GH, Genc Y, Stangoulis JCR, Palmer LT and Graham RD (2005). Distribution of selenium and other nutrients in wheat grain, and the effect of processing on wheat selenium content. Biological Trace Element Research 103:155-168.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK and Graham RD (2004). Differential expression of zinc efficiency during the growing season of barley. Plant and Soil 263: 273-282.
· Genc Y and McDonald GK (2004). The potential of synthetic hexaploid wheats to improve zinc efficiency in modern bread wheat. Plant and Soil 262: 23-32.
· Genc Y, Shepherd KW, McDonald GK and Graham RD (2003). Inheritance of tolerance to zinc deficiency in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant Breeding 123: 283-284.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK and Graham RD (2002). A soil-based method to screen for zinc efficiency in seedlings and its ability to predict yield responses to zinc. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 53: 409-421.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK and Graham RD (2002).The critical deficiency concentration of zinc in barley genotypes differing in zinc efficiency and its relation to growth responses. Journal of Plant Nutrition 25: 545-560.
· Genc Y, McDonald GK and Graham RD (2000). Effect of seed zinc content on early growth of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) under low and adequate soil zinc supply. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 51: 37-46.
My research interests include understanding physiology and genetics of abiotic stress tolerance, and transgenerational epigenetic effects in cereals.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Monday, 3 Sep 2018