Associate Professor Zumin Shi
|Position||Senior Research Fellow|
|Org Unit||Medical Specialties|
|Telephone||+61 8 8128 4854|
North Terrace West
Bachleor of Medicine, Beijing Medical University (1988)
M Phil in International Community Health, University of Oslo (2003)
PhD, University of Oslo (2007)
Dietary pattern and chronic diseases
Adolescent nutrition and hehaviour
Diabetes, hypertension, anemia
Publications during the past five years.
1. Zuo H, Shi Z, Dai Y, et al. Serum leptin concentrations in relation to dietary patterns in Chinese men and women. Public Health Nutr. 2014;17:1524.
2. Shi Z, Zhen S, Wittert GA, et al. Inadequate riboflavin intake and anemia risk in a chinese population: five-year follow up of the jiangsu nutrition study. PLoS One. 2014;9:e88862.
3. Shi Z, Yuan B, Taylor AW, et al. Riboflavin intake and 5-year blood pressure change in Chinese adults: interaction with hypertensive medication. Food Nutr Bull. 2014;35:33.
4. Ruel G, Shi Z, Zhen S, et al. Association between nutrition and the evolution of multimorbidity: The importance of fruits and vegetables and whole grain products. Clin Nutr. 2014;33:513.
5. Hao C, Zhang C, Chen W, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose among university applicants in Eastern China: findings from a population-based study. Diabet Med. 2014.
6. Atlantis E, Taylor AW, Wittert G, et al. Weight gain and lifestyle risk factors for developing metabolic syndrome. Circ J. 2014;78:1066.
7. Zuo H, Shi Z, Yuan B, et al. Association between Serum Leptin Concentrations and Insulin Resistance: A Population-Based Study from China. PLoS One. 2013;8:e54615.
8. Zuo H, Shi Z, Yuan B, et al. Dietary patterns are associated with insulin resistance in Chinese adults without known diabetes. Br J Nutr. 2013;109:1662.
9. Vashum KP, McEvoy M, Shi Z, et al. Is dietary zinc protective for type 2 diabetes? Results from the Australian longitudinal study on women's health. BMC Endocr Disord. 2013;13:40.
10. Taylor AW, Dal Grande E, Grant J, et al. Weighting of the data and analytical approaches may account for differences in overcoming the inadequate representativeness of the respondents to the third wave of a cohort study. J Clin Epidemiol. 2013;66:461.
11. Shi Z, Zhang C, Zhou M, et al. Exposure to the Chinese famine in early life and the risk of anaemia in adulthood. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:904.
12. Shi Z, Wittert GA, Yuan B, et al. Association between monosodium glutamate intake and sleep-disordered breathing among Chinese adults with normal body weight. Nutrition. 2013;29:508.
13. Shi Z, Taylor AW, Yuan B, et al. Monosodium glutamate intake is inversely related to the risk of hyperglycemia. Clin Nutr. 2013.
14. Shi Z, Pinnock CB, Kinsey-Trotman S, et al. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) rate of decline post external beam radiotherapy predicts prostate cancer death. Radiother Oncol. 2013;107:129.
15. Shi Z, Araujo AB, Martin S, et al. Longitudinal changes in testosterone over five years in community-dwelling men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:3289.
16. Qin Y, Melse-Boonstra A, Pan X, et al. Anemia in relation to body mass index and waist circumference among chinese women. Nutrition Journal. 2013;12:10.
17. Liu JH, Shi ZM, Spatz D, et al. Social and demographic determinants for breastfeeding in a rural, suburban and city area of South East China. Contemp Nurse. 2013;45:234.
18. Eckert KA, Shi Z, Taylor AW, et al. Learning from an epidemiological, population-based study on prescribed medicine use in adults. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013;22:271.
19. Chen W, Shi Z. Trend in gender disparities of BMI and height between 2004 and 2011 among adolescents aged 17-18 years in Changzhou China. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2013;22:466.
20. Zuo H, Shi Z, Yuan B, et al. Interaction between physical activity and sleep duration in relation to insulin resistance among non-diabetic Chinese adults. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:247.
21. Yangzong Y, Shi Z, Nafstad P, et al. The prevalence of childhood asthma in China: a systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:860.
22. Shi Z, Yuan B, Wittert GA, et al. Monosodium glutamate intake, dietary patterns and asthma in chinese adults. PLoS One. 2012;7:e51567.
23. Shi Z, Yuan B, Taylor AW, et al. Monosodium glutamate intake increases hemoglobin level over 5 years among Chinese adults. Amino Acids. 2012;43:1389.
24. Shi Z, Taylor AW, Hu G, et al. Rice intake, weight change and risk of the metabolic syndrome development among Chinese adults: the Jiangsu Nutrition Study (JIN). Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2012;21:35.
25. Shi Z, Dal Grande E, Taylor AW, et al. Association between soft drink consumption and asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among adults in Australia. Respirology. 2012;17:363.
26. Qin Y, Melse-Boonstra A, Yuan B, et al. Zinc biofortification of rice in China: a simulation of zinc intake with different dietary patterns. Nutrients. 2012;4:517.
27. Atlantis E, Shi Z, Penninx BJ, et al. Chronic medical conditions mediate the association between depression and cardiovascular disease mortality. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2012;47:615.
28. Shi Z, Yuan B, Zhang C, et al. Egg consumption and the risk of diabetes in adults, Jiangsu, China. Nutrition. 2011;27:194.
29. Shi Z, Yuan B, Taylor AW, et al. Monosodium glutamate is related to a higher increase in blood pressure over 5 years: findings from the Jiangsu Nutrition Study of Chinese adults. J Hypertens. 2011;29:846.
30. Shi Z, Yuan B, Hu G, et al. Dietary pattern and weight change in a 5-year follow-up among Chinese adults: results from the Jiangsu Nutrition Study. Br J Nutr. 2011;105:1047.
31. Shi Z, Taylor AW, Goldney R, et al. The use of a surveillance system to measure changes in mental health in Australian adults during the global financial crisis. International Journal of Public Health. 2011;56:367.
32. Qin Y, Wu M, Pan X, et al. Reactions of Chinese adults to warning labels on cigarette packages: A survey in Jiangsu Province. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:133.
33. Pan X, Zhang C, Shi Z. Soft drink and sweet food consumption and suicidal behaviours among Chinese adolescents. Acta Paediatr. 2011;100:e215.
34. Olds T, Maher C, Shi ZM, et al. Evidence that the prevalence of childhood overweight is plateauing: data from nine countries. Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011;6:342.
35. Liu J, Ai YX, Hanlon A, et al. Micronutrients deficiency and associated sociodemographic factors in Chinese children. World J Pediatr. 2011;7:217.
36. Asghar S, Khan AK, Ali SM, et al. Incidence of diabetes in Asian-Indian subjects: a five year follow-up study from Bangladesh. Prim Care Diabetes. 2011;5:117.
37. Abudayya A, Shi Z, Abed Y, et al. Diet, nutritional status and school performance among adolescents in Gaza Strip. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2011;17:218.
38. Zuo H, Shi Z, Hu X, et al. Diabetes, impaired fasting glucose and their relations to plasma pro-inflammatory cytokines: a population-based study in China. Diabet Med. 2010;27:1461.
39. Yeap BB, Beilin J, Shi Z, et al. The C282Y polymorphism of the hereditary hemochromatosis gene is associated with increased sex hormone-binding globulin and normal testosterone levels in men. J Endocrinol Invest. 2010;33:544.
40. Taylor AW, Price K, Gill TK, et al. Multimorbidity - not just an older person's issue. Results from an Australian biomedical study. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:718.
41. Shi Z, Zhou M, Yuan B, et al. Iron intake and body iron stores, anaemia and risk of hyperglycaemia among Chinese adults: the prospective Jiangsu Nutrition Study (JIN). Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:1319.
42. Shi Z, Yuan B, Qi L, et al. Zinc Intake and the Risk of Hyperglycemia among Chinese Adults: The Prospective Jiangsu Nutrition Study (JIN). J Nutr Health Aging. 2010;14:332.
43. Shi Z, Taylor AW, Wittert G, et al. Soft drink consumption and mental health problems among adults in Australia. Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:1073.
44. Shi Z, Taylor AW, Gill TK, et al. Short sleep duration and obesity among Australian children. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:609.
45. Shi Z, Luscombe-Marsh ND, Wittert GA, et al. Monosodium glutamate is not associated with obesity or a greater prevalence of weight gain over 5 years: findings from the Jiangsu Nutrition Study of Chinese adults. Br J Nutr. 2010;104:457.
46. Shi Z, Hu X, Yuan B, et al. Association between food patterns and metabolic syndrome in China. Journal of Diabetology. 2010;2:3.
47. Mikki N, Abdul-Rahim HF, Shi Z, et al. Dietary habits of Palestinian adolescents and associated sociodemographic characteristics in Ramallah, Nablus and Hebron governorates. Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:1419.
48. Kamudoni PR, Maleta K, Shi Z, et al. Breastfeeding perceptions in communities in Mangochi district in Malawi. Acta Paediatr. 2010;99:367.
Detailed publication list:
Categories Medicine & Medical Research Expertise diet;nutrition;soft drink;dietary patterns;chronic diseases;epidemiology;diabetes;obesity;anemia;asthma;adolescent; Notes Member of Nutrition Society of Australia, American Society for Nutrition.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Sunday, 10 Feb 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/zumin.shi