Microbiology & Immunology
Microbiology is the study of bacteria, viruses and parasites. These micro-organisms contribute to suffering and death on a worldwide scale, but they are also essential for our health and well-being and form the cornerstone of modern biotechnology. Immunology is the study of the immune system. The mammalian immune system is an incredibly complex network of cells, tissues and organs that protects us from disease-causing micro-organisms, but is also capable of causing disease. The interaction between micro-organisms and the immune system is key to maintaining a healthy life.
By studying a major in microbiology and immunology you will learn from world-class researchers who are experts in their field as you:
- gain insights into the molecular mechanisms by which micro-organisms interact with host cells to cause disease.
- learn how the mammalian immune system works and gain insights into how it can be harnessed to control a number of diseases including autoimmune diseases and cancer.
- understand the immune response to infection and how this can impact vaccine and drug design, therapeutic interventions and the outcome of infection.
- are exposed to cutting edge technologies such as, advanced microscopy, gene editing and novel models to study infectious disease.
- gain practical laboratory experience in microbiology and immunology that will prepare you for a career in science.
There is high demand for professionals in this growing global sector. This major prepares you for employment in areas including medical or research laboratories the pharmaceutical industry, hospitals, the biotechnology industry, forensic science and the government sector. As a microbiology and Immunology graduate you will also be well equipped for a postgraduate career in biomedical research.
Degrees that offer this study area
Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Chemical) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Civil) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Environmental) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Mechanical) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Mining) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)(Petroleum) with Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Science)
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.