Philosophy examines the deepest questions about what it is to be human, and what is involved in living a good and meaningful life.
Philosophers seek to understand the nature of the world and our place in it. As a philosophy student at The University of Adelaide, you will be exposed to a wide range of big questions across many branches of philosophy, including: the scope and limits of human knowledge, the reality (or otherwise) of free will, the foundations of morality and justice, and the nature of the mind.
As a philosophy student you will:
- Discover the rich history of philosophical thought while being up to date with the latest developments
- Explore the big questions concerning reality, morality and meaning
- Develop skills in analytical and rational thought, drawing on diverse sources of evidence
- Gain critical reasoning skills to asses and defend your views
- Learn how to craft persuasive arguments
- Discuss and debate ideas with your peers – perhaps even join The University of Adelaide Philosophy Club, active on campus for more than 70 years.
Contributing to many areas of contemporary philosophy, the Philosophy Department at The University of Adelaide has a vibrant research culture and a distinguished history. We are committed to teaching and preparing our students with flexible skills, highly adaptable in the modern workforce. As a philosophy student, you will learn skills in constructive doubt and clear thinking; skills highly sought-after by employers.
Degrees that offer this study area
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of International Relations with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Philosophy, Politics and Economics
- Diploma in Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: 09 Jul 2019