The University of Adelaide is consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities. We are recognised globally as a leading research university.
This is measured by the best-known world university ranking methodologies available – Times Higher Education, QS World University Rankings and the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
134 in Times Higher Education world university rankings
Adelaide ranked 134 in the 2017-18 Times Higher Education world university rankings. The Times Higher Education world university rankings lists the best global universities as judged across all of their core missions – teaching, research, citations, industry income and international outlook.
114 in QS World University Rankings
The University of Adelaide ranked 114 in the 2019 QS World University Rankings. Adelaide is the only university in South Australia ranked inside the top 250. Published annually, the QS World University Rankings provides an index of the world’s leading higher education institutions based on six performance indicators. The ranking features 1,011 universities in 85 countries.
139 in Academic Rankings of World Universities (ARWU)
The University of Adelaide ranked 139 in the 2017 ARWU (Shanghai Jiao Tong). This was a leap of 30 places from 169 in 2015. The University’s sustained progress is evident when looking at the ARWU over 5 years:
Year 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Ranking 221 211 182 169 139 139
82% of our research assessed as "above or well above world standard" in the Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) results
The University of Adelaide is known for high impact research that contributes to world challenges and delivers economic and social benefit. The high quality of the University’s research is recognised in the latest round of Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) results conducted by the Australian Research Council (ARC).
For more information on our ERA results, visit our research website.
Top 200 in all five fields measured by ARWU Rankings
The University of Adelaide is ranked in the top 200 in all five fields measured by the ARWU subject rankings, including Medicine, Engineering, Sciences, Social Sciences and Life Sciences. We are one of only five Australian universities to achieve this.
- For Medicine and Pharma we are ranked 78 in the world. This places us in the top 6 in Australia, and best in South Australia.
- We are ranked 85 in the world for Life Sciences. This places us 5th in Australia and best in South Australia.
- For Social Sciences we are ranked 187 in the world. This places us in the top 10 in Australia and number 1 in South Australia.
- For Science we are ranked 172 in the world. This places us in the top 6 in Australia and the best in South Australia.
- We are ranked 102 in the world for Engineering, 6th in Australia and 1st in South Australia.