Bachelor of Information Technology
The Melbourne campus offers a pathway into degrees for international pathway students only. For the equivalent version for both domestic and international students at the Adelaide, North Terrace campus visit Bachelor of Information Technology.
Connect your career with the future
IT makes and breaks organisations worldwide. Businesses with more intuitive, high-performing systems leave competitors in their wake. But even market leaders risk losing customers by the thousands if they can’t maintain service levels.
Demand for professionals with exceptional IT design and management skills is rising. And our new Bachelor of Information Technology puts you squarely in employers’ sights.
This degree is available to international students only.
What will you do?
The degree is taught within a faculty ranked 48 in the world for computer science and engineering^. Leveraging the University’s strong industry links and world-class research, it features an emphasis on systems and business approaches, and design thinking. Majors are offered in either Cyber Security or Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
In addition to gaining a broad, application-based understanding of computer and information sciences, you’ll develop skills in:
- evaluating and using IT methods, tools and processes in real-world contexts, complemented by the ability to integrate new and emerging technology
- applying systems-thinking principles to manage and develop well-structured, maintainable and safe technological solutions
- designing, making and studying large-scale distributed software systems, including parallel, mobile and cloud-based
- advanced critical and independent thinking, and interpersonal communication.
Depending on your chosen major, you’ll also:
- learn how to develop highly secure, complex IT systems
- protect networks, data and software systems from attack and unlawful access
- explore self-driving cars, robotic vision, machine learning and image recognition
- understand how enterprise data and AI tools can be paired to improve productivity
- apply cutting-edge data analysis techniques to large sets of data.
And both majors include a significant industry-focused project or internship.
Student will commence their pathway studies as a University of Adelaide College student undertaking a Degree Transfer Program. Upon completion of the first year of the Degree Transfer Program students will move into the second year of the Bachelor of Information Technology.
Where could it take you?
You could support organisations’ IT development and management in virtually any industry, anywhere in the world. From a premium European food producer to an Asian bank or Australian airline… From web computing and user experience in the US, to data science and information security in India… Countless paths will open.
^Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2022
*Good Universities Guide, 2022
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant admissions
information for this program.
I am a:
Before applying make sure you understand the eligibility and entry requirements for your chosen degree.
Look out for any prerequisites or assumed knowledge subjects. Some degrees also have additional entry requirements like interviews and auditions.
Not offered to domestic students.
2023 Admissions Data for school leavers
(raw ATAR, excluding any applicable adjustment factors)
|Lowest ATAR to receive an offer
|Median ATAR to receive an offer
|Highest ATAR to receive an offer
(ATAR plus any adjustment factors)
|Lowest Selection Rank to receive an offer
|Median Selection Rank to receive an offer
|Highest Selection Rank to receive an offer
|Minimum eligibility score
|Additional criteria considered
Fees and Scholarships
Choose your applicant type to view the relevant fees and scholarships information for this program.
I am a:
Unavailable - see previous year for indicative only fee.
These scholarships, as well as many others funded by industry and non-profit organisations, are available to potential and currently enrolled students.
Graduates of this program have gone on to careers in:
App Developer; Computer Programmer; Data Analyst; Software Developer; Software Specialist; Systems Administrator; Systems Programmer; Systems Support; Information Officer; Information Technologist ...
- Core courses to the value of 30 units
- Elective courses to the value of 18 units
- At least one major to the value of at least 24 units
Academic Program Rules
The Calendar is a comprehensive handbook of the University's academic program rules.
Areas of Specialisation
Majors are available across the following areas:
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Cyber Security
The University of Adelaide is committed to regular reviews of the courses and programs it offers to students. The University of Adelaide therefore reserves the right to discontinue or vary programs and courses without notice. Please read the important information contained in the disclaimer.
Last updated: Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023