Professor Andrew Zannettino
|Position||Interim Executive Dean|
|Org Unit||Health and Medical Sciences Faculty Office|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5193|
Helen Mayo North
Andrew Zannettino is the Professor of Experimental Haematology and Associate Dean (Research) in the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide. He heads the Myeloma Research Laboratory (MRL) and co-heads the Regenerative Medicine Program (RMP). The MRL’s efforts centre on identifying the molecular and cellular mechanisms responsible for myeloma disease progression and myeloma-associated bone loss. The RMP stems from collaborative studies in association with Prof Stan Gronthos (Mesenchymal Stem Cell Laboratory, University of Adelaide) and Prof Paul Simmons (Mesoblast Ltd), which led to the patenting of technologies covering the identification and isolation of Mesenchymal Precursor Cells (MPC), a rare cell population present in many post-natal tissues. The family of 7 patents surrounding this technology underpin the world’s largest cell therapy company, Mesoblast Ltd.
1997: Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Adelaide.
Andrew Zannettino teaches Medical, Bachelor of Health Science and post-graduate students in the areas of normal haematology, malignant haematology, cell biology and scientific method.
In addition, Andrew Zannettino currently supervises a team comprised of 4 independently funded research fellows, 1 NHMRC-funded post-doctoral scientist, 1 Cancer Australia funded post-doctoral scientist, 1 Royal Adelaide Hospital/SA Pathology Myeloma Fellow, 1 Cancer Australia-funded research assistant and 2 technical officers.
Andrew Zannettino has supervised 13 honours, 1 masters and 14 PhD students and currently supervises 5 PhD students and 2 honours students.
Myeloma is haematological malignancy characterised by the clonal proliferation of plasma cells, an immune cell type that normally protects us against infection. Myeloma is the second most common blood cancer and more than 100,000 people are diagnosed each year worldwide. Despite recent advances in treatment, myeloma remains almost universally fatal and has a 10-year survival rate of approximately 17%. The main clinical manifestations of myeloma are the development of osteolytic bone lesions, bone pain, hypercalcaemia, renal insufficiency, suppressed immunoglobulin production and increased bone marrow angiogenesis (blood vessel formation). Myeloma is preceded by a premalignant (asymptomatic) monoclonal gammopathy of uncertain significance (MGUS) stage. The factors that trigger the progression from MGUS to myeloma remain to be determined; however, our studies show that both intrinsic genetic changes and extrinsic factors play a role in disease progression. Our laboratory’s research is focussed on detecting the key signalling pathways that are deregulated during disease development and determining what microenvironmental changes occur during disease pathogenesis. We believe that these approaches will enable us to identify new molecular markers of disease risk and to design drugs against novel therapeutic targets.
Current projects are focused on:
- Identifying the genetic, transcriptional and epigenetic changes that trigger the progression from asymptomatic MGUS to myeloma
- Determining why the bone marrow is a “hot-spot” for myeloma plasma cell metastasis
- Identifying the mechanisms governing dissemination and relapse in multiple myeloma
- Identifying the role played by the newly described tumour suppressor genes GLIPR1 and SAMSN1 in multiple myeloma development
- Determining the effects of myeloma plasma cells on mesenchymal stem cell differentiation.
- Assessing the effectiveness of targeting class IIa histone deacetylases (HDAC) to treat myeloma and myeloma-associated bone disease
- Identifying the role of the mTOR pathway in mesenchymal stem cell biology and bone formation.
- Assessing the effectiveness of targeting skeletal mTORC1 as a novel approach to treat diet-induced insulin resistance
Since establishing his laboratory in 2000, Andrew Zannettino has received competitive research funding of more than AUD$12 million and $2.83 million in infrastructure funding and AUD$1.4 million dollars in fellowship support. Notably, he has been awarded a total of 16 NHMRC grants as an investigator valued in excess of $8.5 million. Furthermore, he has received industry funding from sources including Mesoblast, Celgene, Novartis, Zimmer and Johnson & Johnson.
Andrew Zannettino has co-authored more than 145 refereed publications, book chapters and review articles, many of which are published in premier Haematology and Orthopaedic journals (BLOOD, Leukemia, BJH, JBMR, Bone), Cancer journals (Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research) and Stem Cell journals (Cell Stem Cell, Stem Cells). Andrew Zannettino’s publications have received 9411 citations and he has a current H Factor of 51 (Google Scholar).
PUBLICATIONS (2009 – PRESENT)
PRIMARY RESEARCH PAPERS
- Arthur A, Shi S, Zannettino AC, Fujii N, Gronthos S, Koblar SA. Implanted adult human dental pulp stem cells induce endogenous axon guidance. Stem cells. 2009;27(9):2229-2237.
- Chung R, Foster BK, Zannettino AC, Xian CJ. Potential roles of growth factor PDGF-BB in the bony repair of injured growth plate. Bone. 2009;44(5):878-885.
- Diamond P, Labrinidis A, Martin SK, Farrugia AN, Gronthos S, To LB, Fujii N, O'Loughlin PD, Evdokiou A, Zannettino AC. Targeted disruption of the CXCL12/CXCR4 axis inhibits osteolysis in a murine model of myeloma-associated bone loss. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2009;24(7):1150-1161.
- Gronthos S, McCarty R, Mrozik K, Fitter S, Paton S, Menicanin D, Itescu S, Bartold PM, Xian C, Zannettino AC. Heat shock protein-90 beta is expressed at the surface of multipotential mesenchymal precursor cells: generation of a novel monoclonal antibody, STRO-4, with specificity for mesenchymal precursor cells from human and ovine tissues. Stem cells and development. 2009;18(9):1253-1262.
- Isenmann S, Arthur A, Zannettino AC, Turner JL, Shi S, Glackin CA, Gronthos S. TWIST family of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors mediate human mesenchymal stem cell growth and commitment. Stem cells. 2009;27(10):2457-2468.
- Labrinidis A, Diamond P, Martin S, Hay S, Liapis V, Zinonos I, Sims NA, Atkins GJ, Vincent C, Ponomarev V, Findlay DM, Zannettino AC, Evdokiou A. Apo2L/TRAIL inhibits tumor growth and bone destruction in a murine model of multiple myeloma. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research. 2009;15(6):1998-2009.
- McCarty RC, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Foster BK, Xian CJ. Characterisation and developmental potential of ovine bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells. Journal of cellular physiology. 2009;219(2):324-333.
- Paquet-Fifield S, Schluter H, Li A, Aitken T, Gangatirkar P, Blashki D, Koelmeyer R, Pouliot N, Palatsides M, Ellis S, Brouard N, Zannettino A, Saunders N, Thompson N, Li J, Kaur P. A role for pericytes as microenvironmental regulators of human skin tissue regeneration. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2009;119(9):2795-2806.
- Vandyke K, Dewar AL, Farrugia AN, Fitter S, Bik To L, Hughes TP, Zannettino AC. Therapeutic concentrations of dasatinib inhibit in vitro osteoclastogenesis. Leukemia. 2009;23(5):994-997.
- Vandyke K, Dewar AL, Fitter S, Menicanin D, To LB, Hughes TP, Zannettino AC. Imatinib mesylate causes growth plate closure in vivo. Leukemia. 2009;23(11):2155-2159.
- Zinonos I, Labrinidis A, Lee M, Liapis V, Hay S, Ponomarev V, Diamond P, Zannettino AC, Findlay DM, Evdokiou A. Apomab, a fully human agonistic antibody to DR5, exhibits potent antitumor activity against primary and metastatic breast cancer. Molecular cancer therapeutics. 2009;8(10):2969-2980.
- Castrechini NM, Murthi P, Gude NM, Erwich JJ, Gronthos S, Zannettino A, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B. Mesenchymal stem cells in human placental chorionic villi reside in a vascular Niche. Placenta. 2010;31(3):203-212.
- Engler JR, Frede A, Saunders V, Zannettino A, White DL, Hughes TP. The poor response to imatinib observed in CML patients with low OCT-1 activity is not attributable to lower uptake of imatinib into their CD34+ cells. Blood. 2010;116(15):2776-2778.
- Engler JR, Frede A, Saunders VA, Zannettino AC, Hughes TP, White DL. Chronic myeloid leukemia CD34+ cells have reduced uptake of imatinib due to low OCT-1 activity. Leukemia. 2010;24(4):765-770.
- Fitter S, Vandyke K, Schultz CG, White D, Hughes TP, Zannettino AC. Plasma adiponectin levels are markedly elevated in imatinib-treated chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) patients: a mechanism for improved insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic CML patients? The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2010;95(8):3763-3767.
- Ghosh P, Wu J, Shimmon S, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S, Itescu S. Pentosan polysulfate promotes proliferation and chondrogenic differentiation of adult human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal precursor cells. Arthritis research & therapy. 2010;12(1):R28.
- Goldschlager T, Ghosh P, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Rosenfeld JV, Itescu S, Jenkin G. Cervical motion preservation using mesenchymal progenitor cells and pentosan polysulfate, a novel chondrogenic agent: preliminary study in an ovine model. Neurosurgical focus. 2010;28(6):E4.
- Martin SK, Diamond P, Williams SA, To LB, Peet DJ, Fujii N, Gronthos S, Harris AL, Zannettino AC. Hypoxia-inducible factor-2 is a novel regulator of aberrant CXCL12 expression in multiple myeloma plasma cells. Haematologica. 2010;95(5):776-784.
- Martin SK, Fitter S, Bong LF, Drew JJ, Gronthos S, Shepherd PR, Zannettino AC. NVP-BEZ235, a dual pan class I PI3 kinase and mTOR inhibitor, promotes osteogenic differentiation in human mesenchymal stromal cells. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2010;25(10):2126-2137.
- McCarty RC, Xian CJ, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Foster BK. Application of autologous bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells to an ovine model of growth plate cartilage injury. The open orthopaedics journal. 2010;4:204-210.
- Menicanin D, Bartold PM, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S. Identification of a common gene expression signature associated with immature clonal mesenchymal cell populations derived from bone marrow and dental tissues. Stem cells and development. 2010;19(10):1501-1510.
- Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Nelson AJ, Lau DH, Jantzen T, Manavis J, Williams K, Itescu S, Sanders P, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. Reparative effects of allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells delivered transendocardially in experimental nonischemic cardiomyopathy. JACC Cardiovascular interventions. 2010;3(9):974-983.
- Psaltis PJ, Paton S, See F, Arthur A, Martin S, Itescu S, Worthley SG, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC. Enrichment for STRO-1 expression enhances the cardiovascular paracrine activity of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal cell populations. Journal of cellular physiology. 2010;223(2):530-540.
- Vandyke K, Dewar AL, Diamond P, Fitter S, Schultz CG, Sims NA, Zannettino AC. The tyrosine kinase inhibitor dasatinib dysregulates bone remodeling through inhibition of osteoclasts in vivo. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2010;25(8):1759-1770.
- Williams SA, Martin SK, Vincent C, Gronthos S, Zheng T, Atkins GJ, Zannettino AC. Circulating levels of TWEAK correlate with bone erosion in multiple myeloma patients. British journal of haematology. 2010;150(3):373-376.
- Winkler IG, Barbier V, Wadley R, Zannettino AC, Williams S, Levesque JP. Positioning of bone marrow hematopoietic and stromal cells relative to blood flow in vivo: serially reconstituting hematopoietic stem cells reside in distinct nonperfused niches. Blood. 2010;116(3):375-385.
- Zannettino AC, Paton S, Itescu S, Gronthos S. Comparative assessment of the osteoconductive properties of different biomaterials in vivo seeded with human or ovine mesenchymal stem/stromal cells. Tissue engineering Part A. 2010;16(12):3579-3587.
- Andersen DC, Kortesidis A, Zannettino AC, Kratchmarova I, Chen L, Jensen ON, Teisner B, Gronthos S, Jensen CH, Kassem M. Development of novel monoclonal antibodies that define differentiation stages of human stromal (mesenchymal) stem cells. Molecules and cells. 2011;32(2):133-142.
- Arthur A, Zannettino A, Panagopoulos R, Koblar SA, Sims NA, Stylianou C, Matsuo K, Gronthos S. EphB/ephrin-B interactions mediate human MSC attachment, migration and osteochondral differentiation. Bone. 2011;48(3):533-542.
- Dharmapatni AA, Smith MD, Crotti TN, Holding CA, Vincent C, Weedon HM, Zannettino AC, Zheng TS, Findlay DM, Atkins GJ, Haynes DR. TWEAK and Fn14 expression in the pathogenesis of joint inflammation and bone erosion in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis research & therapy. 2011;13(2):R51.
- Engler JR, Zannettino AC, Bailey CG, Rasko JE, Hughes TP, White DL. OCT-1 function varies with cell lineage but is not influenced by BCR-ABL. Haematologica. 2011;96(2):213-220.
- Field JR, McGee M, Stanley R, Ruthenbeck G, Papadimitrakis T, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Itescu S. The efficacy of allogeneic mesenchymal precursor cells for the repair of an ovine tibial segmental defect. Veterinary and comparative orthopaedics and traumatology : VCOT. 2011;24(2):113-121.
- Freeman LM, Lam A, Petcu E, Smith R, Salajegheh A, Diamond P, Zannettino A, Evdokiou A, Luff J, Wong PF, Khalil D, Waterhouse N, Vari F, Rice AM, Catley L, Hart DN, Vuckovic S. Myeloma-induced alloreactive T cells arising in myeloma-infiltrated bones include double-positive CD8+CD4+ T cells: evidence from myeloma-bearing mouse model. Journal of immunology. 2011;187(8):3987-3996.
- Goldschlager T, Ghosh P, Zannettino A, Williamson M, Rosenfeld JV, Itescu S, Jenkin G. A comparison of mesenchymal precursor cells and amnion epithelial cells for enhancing cervical interbody fusion in an ovine model. Neurosurgery. 2011;68(4):1025-1034; discussion 1034-1025.
- Nath SV, Nicholson I, Tapp H, Zola H, Zannettino AC, Revesz T. Reticulin fibres anchor leukaemic blasts in the marrow of patients with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Medical hypotheses. 2011;77(3):333-335.
- Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Leong DP, Lau DH, Nelson AJ, Kuchel T, Jantzen T, Manavis J, Williams K, Sanders P, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. Assessment of myocardial fibrosis by endoventricular electromechanical mapping in experimental nonischemic cardiomyopathy. The international journal of cardiovascular imaging. 2011;27(1):25-37.
- See F, Seki T, Psaltis PJ, Sondermeijer HP, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Govaert KM, Schuster MD, Kurlansky PA, Kelly DJ, Krum H, Itescu S. Therapeutic effects of human STRO-3-selected mesenchymal precursor cells and their soluble factors in experimental myocardial ischemia. Journal of cellular and molecular medicine. 2011;15(10):2117-2129.
- Vandyke K, Fitter S, Zannettino AC. The tyrosine kinase inhibitor dasatinib (SPRYCEL) inhibits chondrocyte activity and proliferation. Blood cancer journal. 2011;1(2):e2.
- Zinonos I, Labrinidis A, Lee M, Liapis V, Hay S, Ponomarev V, Diamond P, Findlay DM, Zannettino AC, Evdokiou A. Anticancer efficacy of Apo2L/TRAIL is retained in the presence of high and biologically active concentrations of osteoprotegerin in vivo. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2011;26(3):630-643.
- Cakouros D, Isenmann S, Cooper L, Zannettino A, Anderson P, Glackin C, Gronthos S. Twist-1 induces Ezh2 recruitment regulating histone methylation along the Ink4A/Arf locus in mesenchymal stem cells. Molecular and cellular biology. 2012;32(8):1433-1441.
- Castrechini NM, Murthi P, Qin S, Kusuma GD, Wilton L, Abumaree M, Gronthos S, Zannettino A, Gude NM, Brennecke SP, Kalionis B. Decidua parietalis-derived mesenchymal stromal cells reside in a vascular niche within the choriodecidua. Reproductive sciences. 2012;19(12):1302-1314.
- Crotti TN, Dharmapatni AA, Alias E, Zannettino AC, Smith MD, Haynes DR. The immunoreceptor tyrosine-based activation motif (ITAM) -related factors are increased in synovial tissue and vasculature of rheumatoid arthritic joints. Arthritis research & therapy. 2012;14(6):R245.
- Fitter S, Vandyke K, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC. Suppression of PDGF-induced PI3 kinase activity by imatinib promotes adipogenesis and adiponectin secretion. Journal of molecular endocrinology. 2012;48(3):229-240.
- Ghosh P, Moore R, Vernon-Roberts B, Goldschlager T, Pascoe D, Zannettino A, Gronthos S, Itescu S. Immunoselected STRO-3+ mesenchymal precursor cells and restoration of the extracellular matrix of degenerate intervertebral discs. Journal of neurosurgery Spine. 2012;16(5):479-488.
- Macsai CE, Georgiou KR, Foster BK, Zannettino AC, Xian CJ. Microarray expression analysis of genes and pathways involved in growth plate cartilage injury responses and bony repair. Bone. 2012;50(5):1081-1091.
- Weber B, Emmert MY, Behr L, Schoenauer R, Brokopp C, Drogemuller C, Modregger P, Stampanoni M, Vats D, Rudin M, Burzle W, Farine M, Mazza E, Frauenfelder T, Zannettino AC, Zund G, Kretschmar O, Falk V, Hoerstrup SP. Prenatally engineered autologous amniotic fluid stem cell-based heart valves in the fetal circulation. Biomaterials. 2012;33(16):4031-4043.
- Ahmed F, Choudhury NR, Dutta NK, Zannettino A, Knott R. Near superhydrophobic fibrous scaffold for endothelialization: fabrication, characterization and cellular activities. Biomacromolecules. 2013;14(11):3850-3860.
- Arthur A, Panagopoulos RA, Cooper L, Menicanin D, Parkinson IH, Codrington JD, Vandyke K, Zannettino AC, Koblar SA, Sims NA, Matsuo K, Gronthos S. EphB4 enhances the process of endochondral ossification and inhibits remodeling during bone fracture repair. Journal of bone and mineral research : the official journal of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. 2013;28(4):926-935.
- Frith JE, Cameron AR, Menzies DJ, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. An injectable hydrogel incorporating mesenchymal precursor cells and pentosan polysulphate for intervertebral disc regeneration. Biomaterials. 2013;34(37):9430-9440.
- Richardson JD, Bertaso AG, Frost L, Psaltis PJ, Carbone A, Koschade B, Wong DT, Nelson AJ, Paton S, Williams K, Azarisman S, Worthley MI, Teo KS, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. Cardiac magnetic resonance, transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography: a comparison of in vivo assessment of ventricular function in rats. Laboratory animals. 2013;47(4):291-300.
- Richardson JD, Bertaso AG, Psaltis PJ, Frost L, Carbone A, Paton S, Nelson AJ, Wong DT, Worthley MI, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. Impact of timing and dose of mesenchymal stromal cell therapy in a preclinical model of acute myocardial infarction. Journal of cardiac failure. 2013;19(5):342-353.
- Thomas D, Powell JA, Green BD, Barry EF, Ma Y, Woodcock J, Fitter S, Zannettino AC, Pitson SM, Hughes TP, Lopez AF, Shepherd PR, Wei AH, Ekert PG, Guthridge MA. Protein kinase activity of phosphoinositide 3-kinase regulates cytokine-dependent cell survival. PLoS biology. 2013;11(3):e1001515.
- Vandyke K, Chow AW, Williams SA, To LB, Zannettino AC. Circulating N-cadherin levels are a negative prognostic indicator in patients with multiple myeloma. British journal of haematology. 2013;161(4):499-507.
- Vandyke K, Fitter S, Drew J, Fukumoto S, Schultz CG, Sims NA, Yeung DT, Hughes TP, Zannettino AC. Prospective histomorphometric and DXA evaluation of bone remodeling in imatinib-treated CML patients: evidence for site-specific skeletal effects. The Journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism. 2013;98(1):67-76.
- Ahmed F, Choudhury NR, Dutta NK, Brito e Abreu S, Zannettino A, Duncan E. Interaction of platelets with poly(vinylidene fluoride-co-hexafluoropropylene) electrospun surfaces. Biomacromolecules. 2014;15(3):744-755.
- Ahmed F, Dutta NK, Zannettino A, Vandyke K, Choudhury NR. Engineering interaction between bone marrow derived endothelial cells and electrospun surfaces for artificial vascular graft applications. Biomacromolecules. 2014;15(4):1276-1287.
- Frith JE, Menzies DJ, Cameron AR, Ghosh P, Whitehead DL, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Cooper-White JJ. Effects of bound versus soluble pentosan polysulphate in PEG/HA-based hydrogels tailored for intervertebral disc regeneration. Biomaterials. 2014;35(4):1150-1162.
- Hemming S, Cakouros D, Isenmann S, Cooper L, Menicanin D, Zannettino A, Gronthos S. EZH2 and KDM6A act as an epigenetic switch to regulate mesenchymal stem cell lineage specification. Stem cells. 2014;32(3):802-815.
- Noll JE, Williams SA, Tong CM, Wang H, Quach JM, Purton LE, Pilkington K, To LB, Evdokiou A, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC. Myeloma plasma cells alter the bone marrow microenvironment by stimulating the proliferation of mesenchymal stromal cells. Haematologica. 2014;99(1):163-171.
- Richardson JD, Psaltis PJ, Frost L, Paton S, Carbone A, Bertaso AG, Nelson AJ, Wong DT, Worthley MI, Gronthos S, Zannettino AC, Worthley SG. Incremental benefits of repeated mesenchymal stromal cell administration compared with solitary intervention after myocardial infarction. Cytotherapy. 2014;16(4):460-470.
- Arthur A, Zannettino A, Gronthos S. The therapeutic applications of multipotential mesenchymal/stromal stem cells in skeletal tissue repair. Journal of cellular physiology. 2009;218(2):237-245.
- Dickinson M, Prince HM, Kirsa S, Zannettino A, Gibbs SD, Mileshkin L, O'Grady J, Seymour JF, Szer J, Horvath N, Joshua DE. Osteonecrosis of the jaw complicating bisphosphonate treatment for bone disease in multiple myeloma: an overview with recommendations for prevention and treatment. Internal medicine journal. 2009;39(5):304-316.
- Menicanin D, Bartold PM, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S. Genomic profiling of mesenchymal stem cells. Stem cell reviews. 2009;5(1):36-50.
- Goldschlager T, Jenkin G, Ghosh P, Zannettino A, Rosenfeld JV. Potential applications for using stem cells in spine surgery. Current stem cell research & therapy. 2010;5(4):345-355.
- Psaltis PJ, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S, Worthley SG. Intramyocardial navigation and mapping for stem cell delivery. Journal of cardiovascular translational research. 2010;3(2):135-146.
- Vandyke K, Fitter S, Dewar AL, Hughes TP, Zannettino AC. Dysregulation of bone remodeling by imatinib mesylate. Blood. 2010;115(4):766-774.
- Martin SK, Diamond P, Gronthos S, Peet DJ, Zannettino AC. The emerging role of hypoxia, HIF-1 and HIF-2 in multiple myeloma. Leukemia. 2011;25(10):1533-1542.
- Noll JE, Williams SA, Purton LE, Zannettino AC. Tug of war in the haematopoietic stem cell niche: do myeloma plasma cells compete for the HSC niche? Blood cancer journal. 2012;2:e91.
- Goldschlager T, Oehme D, Ghosh P, Zannettino A, Rosenfeld JV, Jenkin G. Current and future applications for stem cell therapies in spine surgery. Current stem cell research & therapy. 2013;8(5):381-393.
- Richardson JD, Nelson AJ, Zannettino AC, Gronthos S, Worthley SG, Psaltis PJ. Optimization of the cardiovascular therapeutic properties of mesenchymal stromal/stem cells-taking the next step. Stem cell reviews. 2013;9(3):281-302.
- Gronthos S, Zannettino AC. Methods for the purification and characterization of human adipose-derived stem cells. Methods Mol Biol. Vol. 702; 2011:109-120.
- Zannettino ACW. Bone Loss, Cancer Mediated. In: Schwab M, ed. Encyclopedia of Cancer. Berlin: Springer Press; 2012:441-445.
- Vandyke K, Zannettino ACW. Effects of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors on Growth in Paediatric Patients. In: Akhtari M, ed. Imatinib: Chemical Structure, Pharmacology and Adverse Effects” Ed Mojtaba Akhtari Nova Publishers: Nova Publishers; 2013.
- Zannettino ACW, Martin SK, Gronthos S To LB, Peet D. The role of the chemokine CXCL12 in the pathogenesis of multiple myeloma (MM). Chemokine Research Frontiers. Ed. F. Colombus. Nova Publishers. 2012.
- Vandyke K, Zannettino ACW. Effects of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors on Growth in Paediatric Patients, in Imatinib: Chemical Structure, Pharmacology and Adverse Effects, Nova Publishers. 2012
Faculty member, Centre for Cancer Biology, SA Pathology, SA Health.
Faculty member, Centre for Personalised Cancer Medicine, University of Adelaide.
Faculty member, Centre for Stem Cell Research, University of Adelaide.
Faculty member, Biosciences Pillar of the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI).
Chair, School of Medical Sciences Research Committee
Member, Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee
Member, Research Project Group, Adelaide Medical and Nursing School Project.
Member, Advisory Board, Robinson Research Institute
Professional Associations and Appointments:
Elected international member of the American Society of Hematology (ASH).
Elected member of the Haematology Society of Australia and New Zealand.
Member, Medical and Scientific Advisory Group, Myeloma Foundation of Australia.
Key opinion leader, Myeloma bone disease, Novartis and Janssen Cilag.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Thursday, 7 Mar 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/andrew.zannettino