Associate Professor Chia-Yen (Chad) Chiu
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 2596|
Dr Chia-Yen (Chad) Chiu is an Associate Professor in Leadership at the Adelaide Business School, the University of Adelaide. He holds a Ph.D. in Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources from the University at Buffalo, the State University of New York. Dr. Chiu's research interests include positive leadership, team leadership, and leaders' wellbeing. Chad has published in multiple top peer-reviewed journals in the academic field of organisational research (ABDC A*; FT 50 Journals), such as Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Management Studies, Leadership Quarterly, Human Relations, and Journal of Organizational Behavior. He currently serves on the editorial boards of different A*/FT 50 journals, including Journal of Management, Journal of Organizational Behavior, and Human Relations.
He also teaches various courses related to leadership and people in organisations, including Human Resource Management, Organisational Behaviour, Organisational Leadership, and Business Research Method at both under- and post-graduate levels.
Here is Chad's personal website: https://www.chiayenchadchiu.com/
Ph.D. (2014) in Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, USA
MBA (2005), National Sun Yat-sen University, Taiwan
B.S. in Statistics (2003), National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- Organisational Behaviour
- Leadership Development
- Research Methods
- Team Leadership
- Leader humility
- Leaders' wellbeing
- RNUDS 2020 Scheme – DSTG Grant, 2021-2022 (AUD $249,702; shared with Ruchi Sinha, Gillian Yeo, Bart De Jong, and Andrew Yu)
- The Society for the Advancement of Management Studies (SAMS) funding, 2019 (GBP £8,000)
- Australia-Germany Joint Research Cooperation (DAAD) Scheme Grant (No. 57379159), 2017 (AUD $30,500; Primary Investigator; shared with Brooke Gazdag and Jill Gould)
PublicationsA*, A, & B = Following the Australian Business Dean Council (ABDC) journal quality list; FT 50 = Financial Times Top 50 Management Journals; IF = impact factor; + denoted as a student co-authors when the project is initiated.
- Chiu, C., Marrone, J. A., & Tuckey, M. R. (2021). How do humble people mitigate group incivility? An examination of the social oil hypothesis of collective humility. Journal of Occupational and Health Psychology, 26(5), 361-373. https://doi.org/10.1037/ocp0000244 (A; IF = 7.25).
- Sinha, R., Chiu, C., & Srinivas, S. (2021). Shared leadership and relationship conflict in teams: The moderating role of team power base diversity. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 42, 649-667. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.2515 (A*; IF = 8.17).
- Chiu, C., Nahrgang, J., Bartram+, A., Wang, J.+, & Tesluk, P. (2021). Leading the team, but feeling dissatisfied: Investigating informal leaders' energetic activation and work satisfaction and the supporting role of formal leadership. Journal of Organizational Behavior,42, 527-550. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.2511 (A*; IF = 8.17).
- Sanner, B., Evans, K., & Chiu, C. (2021). Shared leadership, unshared burden: How shared leadership structure schema lowers individual enjoyment without increasing performance. Group and Organization Management, forthcoming. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601121997225 (A; IF = 3.94)
- Chiu, C., Lin, H-C., & Ostroff., C. (2021). Fostering team learning orientation magnitude and strength: Roles of transformational leadership, team personality heterogeneity and behavioral integration. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 94, 187-216 https://doi.org/10.1111/joop.12333 (A; IF = 4.57)
- Chiu, C., Balkundi, P., Owens, B., & Tesluk, P. (2020). Shaping positive and negative ties to improve team effectiveness: The roles of leader humility and team helping norms. Human Relations, forthcoming. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0018726720968135 (A*; FT 50; IF = 5.73)
- Xu+, N., Chiu, C., Treadway, D. (2019) Tensions between diversity and shared leadership: The role of political skill. Small Group Research, 50, 507-538. https://doi.org/10.1177/1046496419840432 (A; IF = 1.75)
- Mao+, J., Chiu, C., Owens, B., Liao, J., & Brown+, J. (2019). Growing followers: Exploring the effects of leader humility on follower self-expansion, self-efficacy, and performance. Journal of Management Studies, 56, 343-371. https://doi.org/10.1111/joms.12395 (A*; FT 50; IF = 4.89)
- Chiu, C., Balkundi, P., & Weinberg, F. J. (2017). When managers become leaders: The role of manager network centralities, social power, and followers' perception of leadership. Leadership Quarterly, 28, 334-348. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2016.05.004 (A*; IF = 3.31)
- Chiu, C., Owens, B.*, & Tesluk, P.* (2016). Initiating and utilizing shared leadership in teams: The role of leader humility, team proactive personality, and team performance capability. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101, 1705-1720. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/apl0000159 (A*; FT 50; IF = 5.09) (*The two authors contribute equally)
- Brouer, R., Chiu, C., & Wang, L. (2016). Political skill dimensions and transformational leadership in China. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 31, 1040-1056. (B; IF = 1.20) http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/JMP-05-2014-0166
- Dansereau, F., Seitz, S., Chiu, C., Shaughnessy, B.A., & Yammarino, F. (2013). What makes leadership, leadership: Using self-expansion theory to integrate traditional and contemporary approaches. Leadership Quarterly, 24, 798-821. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.10.008 (A*; IF = 2.71)
- Chia-Yen (Chad) Chiu_CV - Chia-Yen_Chad_Chiu_CV_March_2022.pdf [322.5K] (application/pdf)
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 29 Mar 2022
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/chad.chiu