Professor Jodie Conduit
|Org Unit||Marketing and Management|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 7024|
Nexus 10 Tower
Jodie Conduit is a Professor of Marketing, and Head of the Marketing Discipline, in the Business School at the University of Adelaide, Australia. Her research interests lie in understanding how to engage consumers in interactions with organizations, and each other, that enable them to work together to achieve meaningful and relevant outcomes, particularly in contexts for social inclusion and environmental sustainability. This underpins her research agenda in the areas of customer engagement, value co-creation, and more broadly in service research. Her research has been widely published in leading journals including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Service Research, Industrial Marketing Management, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, and Journal of Service Management among others. Jodie is an Associate Editori for the Journal of Service Theory and Practice and an editorial board member for AMS Review. She is also a Board Member for Green Industries SA.
Jodie was awarded her PhD from Monash University in 2000 and spent the years 2002-2010 working as a market research professional in industry. Her industry experience and research focus on engagement and co-creation informs Jodie’s interactive approach to teaching marketing at undergraduate, postgraduate, and executive levels. She ensures that managerial relevance lies at the heart of both her research and teaching. Jodie is currently Head of the Marketing Discipline and has previously held several leadership positions in the Adelaide Business School, most notably, HDR Director amd Associate Head (Research) (Marketing and Management), and Acting Director of Research (Business School). She is also a Visiting Professor at EM Strasbourg Business School in France.
Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) (University of Adelaide)
Doctor of Philosophy (Monash University)
Graduate Certificate in Online Learning (Higher Education) (University of Adelaide)
Awards & Achievements
Researcher of the Year Award, Adelaide Business School, 2019
Research Excellence Award, Faculty of Professions, 2019
Best Research Mentor, Faculty of Professions, 2018
Womens Research Fellowship, Faculty of Professions, 2018
Executive Dean Commendation for Excellence in Research, 2017
Executive Dean Award for Excellence in Research, 2016
The University of Adelaide Women's Research Excellence Award (Mid Career), 2016
Outstanding Reviewer for European Journal of Marketing in Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence, 2016
Executive Dean Commendation for Excellence in Research, 2015
Best Reviewer Award, Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference, 2014, 2015
Executive Dean Award for Excellence in Teaching 2015
Best Paper Awards
Best Paper Award, Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 2019-2020
Conduit, J., Karpen, I. and Tierney, K. (2019) "Volunteer Engagement: Conceptual Extensions and Value-in-Context Outcomes" Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 29 (4), pp. 462-487
Best Paper in Marketing Education Track, Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference 2015
Conduit, J., Plewa, C., Ho, J. and Lu, V. (2015) "Facilitating Student Interaction Capabilities through Shared Values and Peer Learning" Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) Conference.
Best Paper Award Nominee, International Vincentian Business Ethics Conference 2015
Conduit, J., and Karpen, I. (2015) "The Value of Spiritual Engagement in a Voluntering Context" International Vincentian Business Ethics Conference, New York, USA.
Best Paper Award, Academy of Wine Business Research Conference 2014
Altschwager, T., Conduit, J., Bouzdine-Chameeva, T. and Goodman, S. (2014) "Customer Engagement: A comparison between Australian and French Wine Events."Academy of Wine Business Research Conference, Geisenheim, Germany.
Best Paper Award, Academy of Marketing Science Multicultural Marketing Conference 2002
Conduit, J. and Quigg, J. (2002) “Bridging the Gap Between The Internal and External Markets: Understanding the Relationship Between Market Orientation and Customer Satisfaction”. Academy of Marketing Science Multicultural Marketing Conference, Spain.
Geursen, G.M. and Conduit J. (2000) “Entrepreneurial, market relevant strategies in small and large firms”, UIC/AMA Research Symposia on the Marketing Entrepreneurship Interface, Newcastle.
Fellowships, Grants and Funding
ARC Discovery Grant "Collective Engagement towards Social Purpose" (2021-2024)
The University of Adelaide Barbara Kidman Women’s Fellowship (2013)
Grape and Wine Research Development Corporation (GWRDC) Incubator Project Grant (2014)
The University of Adelaide Priority Partner Grant (University of Strasbourg) (2016)
The University of Adelaide, School of Marketing and Management Research Grant (2014, 2015)
The University of Adelaide, Faculty of Professions Learning Development Grant (2014)
- Delivering Customer Insight III (formerly Market Research I)
Jodie's research agenda focuses on understanding, facilitating and optimising interactions between actors in a service system. Specifically, engaging customers, employees and other actors to co-create value (incl. service innovation); and strategically managing internal mechanisms, such as market intelligence, internal marketing, and organisational capabilities and orientation to facilitate interaction and value creation.
Thus, my key specific research areas of interest include: customer engagement, market shaping, value co-creation, service innovation, and market orientation.
Gediminas Lipnickas, Youngshin Woo, Kate Sansome, Harriet Gray, Katelyn Harris, Karolina Kaczorowska, Kym Chappell, Katrin Uude (Adelaide)
Mariah Nankya Nakintu-Lutaaya (External: Deakin), Tuğçe Ozgen Genç (External: Strathclyde), Meike Fens (External: Sydney)
Panayoti Psorakis, Harrison De Picot (Honours)
Teagan Altschwager (2014) “Branded Marketing Events: The Influence of Event Experience on Customer Engagement”
Rebecca Dolan (2015) "Social Media Engagement Behaviour: A Uses and Gratifications Perspective"
Long Nguyen (2015) "Investigating the Role of Online Community Engagement and Collective Online Community Empowerment on Consumer Price Fairness Perceptions" (Deans Commendation)
Hande Akman (2016) "Value Co-creation in Online Collaborative Innovation Communiities" (Deans Commendation)
Shikha Sharma (2016) "Organisational conditions for co-creation: a health care context"
Phiangdao Chaoluck (2017) "Assessment of Customer Perceptions Towards Frontline Service Employees' Role Behaviours"
Diana Ayi Wong (2018) "Actor Engagement with Novel Foods"
William Lake (2019) "Conflict in the Consumer Identity: The Coexistence and Consequences of Environmental Identity and Material Identity"
Max Sim (2019) "Actor Engagement with Service Providers"
1. Nguyen, L., Lu, V., Conduit, J., Tran, T., and Scholz, B. (forthcoming) "Driving enrolment intention through social media engagement: a study of Vietnamese prospective students" Higher Education Research & Development
2. Karpen, I. and Conduit, J., (2020) "Engaging in times of COVID-19 and beyond: Theorizing customer engagement through different paradigmatic lenses" Journal of Service Management, 31(6), pp. 1163-1174
3. Lipnickas, G., Conduit, J., Plewa, C. and Wilkie, D. (2020) "How much is enough? The role of effort in market shaping" Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 35(9), pp. 1441-1451.
4. Conduit, J., and Kleinaltenkamp, M. (2020) "'First things First': The AMS Review - Sheth Foundation 2020 annual doctoral competition for conceptual articles", AMS Review, 10, pp. 6-7 (Editorial)
5. Fehrer, J., Conduit, J., Plewa, C., Li, L., Jaakkola, E. and Alexander, M. (2020) "Market Shaping Dynamics: Interplay of Actor Engagement and Institutional Work", Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 35(9), pp. 1425-1439.
6. Nguyen, L. Conduit, J., Lu, V and Rao Hill, S. (2020) “Collective Empowerment in Online Communities: Conceptualization, scale refinement and validation”, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 28(3), pp. 301-317
7. Ayi Wong, D., Conduit, J., and Plewa C. (2020) "Initiating Actor Engagement with Novel Products", Marketing Theory, 20(3), pp. 299-319
8. Conduit, J., Karpen, I., and Tierney, K. (2019) "Volunteer Engagement: Conceptual Extensions and Value-in-Context Outcomes" Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 29(4), pp. 462-487 (Best Paper Award)
9. Gebhardt, G., Farrelly, F., and Conduit, J. (2019) "Market Intelligence Dissemination Practices" Journal of Marketing, 83(3), pp. 72-90.
10. Brodie, R., Fehrer, J., Jaakkola, E. and Conduit, J. (2019) "Actor Engagement in Networks: Defining the Conceptual Domain", Journal of Service Research, 22(2), pp. 173-188.
11. Kleinaltenkamp, M., Karpen, I., Plewa, C., Jaakkola, E. and Conduit, J. (2019) "Collective Engagement in Organizational Settings" Industrial Marketing Management, 80, pp. 11-23.
12. Conduit, J., Karpen, I., Plewa, C. and Kleinaltenkamp, M. (2019) " Business Actor Engagement: Foundations, Developments and Opportunities", Industrial Marketing Management, 80, pp. 1-3. (Editorial)
13. Dolan, R., Conduit, J., Frethey Bentham, C., Fahy, J., and Goodman, S. (2019) "Social Media Engagement Behavior: A Framework for Engaging Customers' through Social Media Content", European Journal of Marketing, 53(10), pp. 2213-2243
14. Nguyen, L., Lu, V., Rao Hill, S. and Conduit, J. (2019) "The mediating role of brand knowledge on employees' brand citizenship behaviour: Does organisational tenure matter?", Australasian Marketing Journal, 27(3), pp. 169-178.
15. Akman, H., Plewa, C. and Conduit, J. (2019) "Co-creating Value in Onlie Innovation Communities", European Journal of Marketing, 53(6), pp. 1205-1233
16. Altschwager, T., Dolan, R., and Conduit, J. (2018) "Social Brand Engagement: How Orientation Events Engage Students with the University", Australasian Marketing Journal, 16(2), pp. 83-91.
17. Sim, M., Conduit, J. and Plewa, C. (2018) "Engagement within a Service System: A Fuzzy Set Analysis in a Higher Education Setting," Journal of Service Management, 29(3), pp. 422-442.
18. Sharma, S., Conduit, J. and Rao Hill, S. (2017) "Hedonic and Eudaimonic Well-Being Outcomes from Co-creation Roles: A Study of Vulnerable Customers" Journal of Services Marketing, 31(4/5), pp. 397-411.
19. Bowden, J., Conduit, J., Hollebeek, L., Luoma-Aho, V. and Solem, B. (2017) "Engagement Valence Duality and Spillover Effects in Online Brand Communities" Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27(4), pp. 877-897
20. Conduit, J. and Chen, T. (2017) "Bridging and Transcending Customer Engagement and Co-creation: Conceptual and Empirical Insights" Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27(4), pp. 714-720 (Editorial)
21. Altschwager, T. Conduit, J., Bouzdine-Chameeva, T. and Goodman, S. (2017) "Branded Marketing Events: Engaging Australian and French Wine Consumers" Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 27(2), pp. 336-357
22. Dolan, R., Conduit, J., Fahy, J. and Goodman, S. (2017) "Social Media: Communication Strategies, Engagement and Future Research Directions" International Journal of Wine Business Research, 29(1), pp. 2-19
23. Conduit, J., Plewa, C., Ho, J. and Lu, V. (2017) "Facilitating Student Interaction Capabilities: The Interplay of Individual, Group and Course-related Factors" Journal of Strategic Marketing, 25(2), pp. 114-127
24. Sharma, S. and Conduit, J. (2016) "Cocreation Culture in Health Care Organizations", Journal of Service Research, 19(4), pp. 438 - 457
25. Dolan, R., Conduit, J., Fahy, J. and Goodman, S. (2016) "Social Media Engagement Behaviour: A Uses and Gratification Perspective", Journal of Strategic Marketing, 24(3/4), pp. 261-277.
26. Hollebeek, L., Conduit, J. and Brodie, R. (2016) "Strategic Drivers, Anticipated & Unanticipated Outcomes of Customer Engagement" Journal of Marketing Management, 32(5/6), pp. 393-398. (Editorial)
27. Hollebeek, L., Conduit, J., Sweeney, J., Soutar, G., Karpen, I., Jarvis, W. and Chen, T. (2016) "Epilogue to the Special Issue and Reflections on the Future of Engagement Research", Journal of Marketing Management, 32(5/6), pp. 586-594.
28. Nguyen, L. Conduit, J., Lu, V. and Rao Hill, S. (2016) "Engagement in Online Communities: Implications for Consumer Price Perceptions", Journal of Strategic Marketing, 24(3/4), pp. 241-260.
29. Plewa, C., Ho, J., Conduit, J. and Karpen, I. (2016) "Reputation in Higher Education: A Fuzzy Set Analysis of Resource Configurations" Journal of Business Research, 69(8), pp. 3087-3095.
30. Altschwager, T. Goodman, S. Conduit, J. and Habel, C. (2015) “Branded Marketing Events: a Proposed ‘Experiential Needs-based' Conceptual Framework” Event Management, 19(3), pp. 381-390.
31. Plewa, C., Conduit, J., Quester, P., and Johnson, C. (2015) "The Impact of Corporate Volunteering on CSR Image: A Consumer Pespective" Journal of Business Ethics, 127(3), pp. 643-659.
32. Conduit, J., Matanda, M., and Mavondo, F. (2014) "Balancing the Act: The Implications of Jointly Pursuing Internal Customer Orientation and External Customer Orientation" Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. 30(13/14), pp.1320-1352.
33. Granger, K., Lu, V., Conduit, J., Veale, R., and Habel, C. (2014) "Keeping the Faith! A Preliminary Investigation of Participation in Spiritually Based Communities" Journal of Business Research, 67(2), pp. 68-75.
34. Sharma, S., Conduit, J. and Rao Hill, S. (2014) "Organisational capabilities for customer participation in health care service innovation", Australasian Marketing Journal, Vol. 23(3), pp.179-188.
35. Brennan, L., Brace-Govan, J., Brady, E., and Conduit, J. (2011) “Market Orientation and Marketing in Nonprofit Organizations. Indications for Fundraising from Victoria”, International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 16, pp. 84-98.
36. Conduit, J. and Mavondo, F. T. (2001) “How critical is Internal Customer Orientation to Market Orientation?”, Journal of Business Research. 51(1), pp. 11-24.
37. Quester, P. and Conduit, J. (1996) “Standardisation, Centralisation and Marketing in Multinational Companies”, International Business Review, 5(4), pp. 395-421.
38. Quester, P. and Conduit, J. (1996) “Size and Centralization in Multinational Companies”, Journal of Market Focused Management, 1(3), pp. 231-247.
1. Plewa, C. and Conduit, J. (2016) Making a Difference through Marketing: A quest for different perspectives, Springer. ISBN 978-981-10-0462-9
2. Brodie, R., Hollebeek, L. and Conduit, J. (2016) Customer Engagement: Contemporary Issues and Challenges, Routledge
1. Barbour, K. Ankeny, R., Plewa, C. and Conduit, J. (2020) "Scientific persona performance through online biographies and their relationship to historical models." in Niskanen, K. and Barany, M. (eds) Gender, Embodiment, and the History of the Scholarly Persona: Incarnations and Contestations, Palgrave MacMillan.
2. Jaakkola, E., Conduit, J. and Fehrer, J. (2019) "Tracking the Evolution of Engagement Research: Illustration of Midrange Theory in the Service-Dominant Paradigm, in Vargo, S. and Lusch, R. (eds) The SAGE Handbook of Service Dominant Logic, SAGE, pp. 580-598.
3. Bowden, J., Conduit, J., Hollebeek, L., Luoma-Aho, V. and Solem, B. (2018) "The Role of Social Capital in Shaping Consumer Engagement within Online Brand Communities" in Johnston, K. and Taylor, M. (eds.) Handbook of Communication Engagement, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
4. Dolan, R., Conduit, J. and Fahy, J. (2018) "Creating, Contributing and Consuming Behaviour: How Affective and Rational Message Appeals Facilitate Engagement" in Rishi, B and Bandyopadhyay, S. (Eds.) Contemporary Issues in Social Media Marketing, Routledge
5. Dolan, R. and Conduit, J. (2017) "Social Media Analytics: Measurement Tools for Exploring Online Engagement" in Juholin, E. & Luoma-aho, V. (Eds), Mitattava Viestinta [In Finnish: Measurable Communication], ProComma Academic, ProCom Ry, Helsinki, Finland
6. Conduit, J., Karpen, I. and Farrelly, F. (2016) "Student Engagement: A Multiple Layered Phenomenon" in Plewa, C. and Conduit, J. (eds.) Making a Difference through Marketing: A quest for different perspectives, Springer, 229-245.
7. Dolan, R., Conduit, J., and Fahy, J. (2016) "Social Media Engagement: A Construct of Positively and Negatively Valenced Engagement Behaviours" in R. Brodie, L. Hollebeek and J. Conduit, (Eds.) Customer Engagement: Contemporary Issues and Challenges. Routledge
8. Johnson, C., Plewa, C., Conduit, J. and Quester, P. (2014) Corporate Volunteering: Developing CSR Image with Internal and External Benefits. In Newell, A. (Ed.), Corporate Social Responsibility: Challenges, Benefits and Impact on Business Performance. Nova Science Publishers, Inc. ISBN: 978-1-63321-106-3.
9. Mavondo, F. T., and Conduit, J. (2000). Construct validity of market orientation: Do people in different industries share the same meaning? In R.B. McNaughton (Ed.), Developments in Australasian Marketing. London, England: JAI Press Inc., ISBN: 9780762306367
1. Conduit, J., Gray, N., and Findlay, C.C. (2019) "Benefits of Trade: An Organisational Perspective. Results from Focus Groups in APEC Countries" prepared for APEC Business Advisory Council and Pacific Economic Cooperation Council
Please contact Jodie Conduit for list of conference papers.
Board Member, Green Industries SA
Associate Editor (Aust & NZ), Journal of Service Theory and Practice
Editorial Review Board Members, AMS Review
Business Advisory Board Member, St Vincent de Paul Society (2015 - 2018)
Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) - Executive Committee Member(2018 - 2020)
Australian Marketing Institute (AMI), Certified Practising Marketer
Former Member Australian Market and Social Research Society (AMSRS) and Qualified Practising Market Researcher (QPMR) (2005 - 2010).
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Monday, 8 Mar 2021
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/jodie.conduit