Dr Jordi Fernandez
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5299|
I am a philosopher at the University of Adelaide. Before coming to South Australia in 2007, I was a post-doctoral fellow at Macquarie University and the Centre for Consciousness of the ANU. I received my PhD from Brown University in 2003, and I taught for a year at Bowdoin College before leaving the United States to move to Australia. I am originally from Spain, and I did my undergraduate study at the University of Barcelona.
At the University of Adelaide, I have been teaching (often in collaboration with colleagues) undergraduate courses in metaphysics, epistemology and the philosophy of mind. I also teach a course on existentialism and a course on early modern philosophy. I have also taught some honours courses on more specialised topics such as self-knowledge and memory.
I am interested in the topics of self-knowledge and memory. With regards to the former, I am with those who believe that self-knowledge is ‘transparent’: We attribute mental states to ourselves based on our grounds for being in those states. With regards to the latter, I believe that the contents of memories are reflexive: Memories represent themselves as having a certain causal origin. My current project is aimed at determining what the experience of ‘owning’ a mental state amounts to.
1. Fernández, J. (2013) Transparent Minds: A Study of Self-Knowledge. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2. Bayne, T. and Fernández, J. (2009) Delusions and Self-Deception: Affective Influences on Belief Formation. London: Psychology Press.
3. Fernández, J. (Forthcoming) “The ownership of memories”, in M. García-Carpintero & M. Guillot (Eds.) The Sense of Mineness. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
4. Fernández, J. (Forthcoming) “Intentional objects of memory”, in S. Bernecker & K. Michaelian (Eds.) Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Memory. London: Routledge.
5. Fernández, J. (Forthcoming) “The functional character of memory”, in K. Michaelian, D. Debus and D. Perrin (Eds.) New Directions in the Philosophy of Memory. London: Routledge.
6. Fernández, J. (2015) “Externalism, self-knowledge and memory”, in S. Goldberg (Ed.) Externalism, Self-Knowledge and Skepticism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
7. Fernández, J. (2013) ‘Memory’ in H. Dyke & A. Bardon (Eds.) Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy Time. London: Blackwell, 432-444.
8. Fernández, J. (2013) “The objects of memory”, in H. Pashler (Ed.) Encyclopedia of the Mind. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
9. Fernández, J. (2009) “Introspection”, in F. Calvo, F. & J. Symons (Eds.) Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Psychology. London: Routledge, 502-522.
10. Fernández, J. (2009) “Happiness and Life Choices: Sartre on desire, deliberation and action”, in L. Bortolotti (Ed.) Happiness and Philosophy. London: Palgrave, 200-215.
11. Bayne, T. and Fernández, J. (2009) “Delusions and Self-Deception: Mapping the Terrain”, in T. Bayne and J. Fernández (Eds.) Delusions and Self-Deception: Affective Influences on Belief Formation. London: Psychology Press, 1-23.
Refereed journal articles
12. Bliss, S. and Fernández, J. (2016) “Schizophrenia and the estranged self”, Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 22: 615-621.
13. Fernández, J. (2016) “Epistemic generation in memory”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 92: 620-644.
14. Fernández, J. (2015) “What are the benefits of memory distortion?”, Consciousness and Cognition 33: 536-547.
15. Fernández, J. (2015) “Replies to my critics on Transparent Minds”, Teorema 35: 149-160.
16. Fernández, J. (2014) “Memory and immunity to error through misidentification”, Review of Philosophy and Psychology 5: 373-390.
17. Fernández, J. (2013) “Self-Deception and Self-Knowledge”, Philosophical Studies 162: 379-400.
18. Bliss, S. and Fernández, J. (2011) ‘Does the supervenience argument generalize?’, The Southern Journal of Philosophy 49: 321-346.
19. Bliss, S. and Fernández, J. (2010) ‘Program Explanation and Higher-Order Properties’, Acta Analytica 25: 393-411.
20. Fernández, J. (2010) “Thought Insertion and Self-Knowledge”, Mind & Language 25: 66–88.
21. Fernández, J. (2008) “Memory and Time”, Philosophical Studies 141: 333-356.
22. Fernández, J. (2008) “Memory, Past and Self”, Synthese 160:103–121.
23. Bliss, S. and Fernández, J. (2008) “Causal Inheritance and Second-Order Properties”, Abstracta 4: 74-95.
24. Fernández, J. (2007) “Desire and Self-Knowledge”, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 85: 517-536.
25. Fernández, J. (2006) “The intentionality of memory”, Australasian Journal of Philosophy 84: 39-57.
26. Fernández, J. (2006) “Memory and Perception: Remembering Snowflake”, Theoria 21: 147-164.
27. Fernández, J. (2006) “Schopenhauer’s Pessimism”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 73: 646-664.
28. Fernández, J. (2005) “Privileged Access Revisited”, The Philosophical Quarterly 55: 102-105.
29. Fernández, J. (2005) “Self-Knowledge, Rationality and Moore’s Paradox”, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 71: 533-556.
30. Bayne, T. and Fernández, J. (2005) “Resisting Ruthless Reductionism: A commentary on Bickle”, Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences4: 239-248.
31. Fernández, J. (2004) “Externalism and Self-Knowledge: A puzzle in two dimensions”, European Journal of Philosophy 12: 17-37.
32. Fernández, J. (2003) “Privileged Access Naturalized”, The Philosophical Quarterly 53: 352-272.
33. Fernández, J. (2003) “Explanation by computer simulation in cognitive science”, Minds and Machines 13: 269-284.
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 5 Jun 2018
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/jorge.fernandez