Associate Professor Kiro Petrovski
|Org Unit||School of Animal and Veterinary Science|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 1492|
Originally from Europe, I started working with dairy cows at age of 11. With a lifelong interest in animals and animal health, after completing my undergraduate education I worked for 2.5 years as a veterinary practitioner in Europe with production animals and occasionally companion animals, before migrating to New Zealand. I then worked as a veterinarian for 3.5 years mainly in mixed animal practice, with a special interest in production animals, before taking up the position of Senior Research Officer with special interest in lactational physiology and bovine mastitis at the Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences (IVABS), Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand. From November 2010 my research position was transferred in a Lecturership position. From January 2012 I moved to Australia to take up a position of Senior Lecturer in Production Animal Health/ Ruminant heath.
PhD (Massey University, Palmerston North New Zealand) 2012
PGDipVCSc (Massey University, Palmerston North New Zealand) 2008
MVSc (Massey University, Palmerston North New Zealand) 2007
DVM (Ss Cyril and Methodius, Skopje, Macedonia) 1997
My research interests include the development of drugs and preventive measures for bovine mastitis and improving the fertility of dairy cattle. My current research attracts international collaborations with teams from Japan, the USA and Argentina and as recognition of my research activity I am reviewing papers for prestigious international journals.
· Petrovski KR, Williamson NB, Lopez-Villalobos N, Parkinson TJ, Tucker IG. Culture results from milk samples submitted to veterinary diagnostic laboratories from August 2003 to December 2006 in New Zealand. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 59, 317-22, 2011
· Petrovski KR, Caicedo-Caldas A, Williamson NB, Lopez-Villalobos N, Grinberg A, Parkinson TJ, Tucker IG. Efficacy of a novel internal dry period teat sealant containing 0.5% chlorhexidine against experimental challenge with Streptococcus uberis in dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science 94, 3366-75, 2011
· Petrovski K, Laven R, Lopez-Villalobos N. A descriptive analysis of the antimicrobial susceptibility of mastitis-causing bacteria isolated from samples submitted to commercial diagnostic laboratories in New Zealand (2003-2006). New Zealand Veterinary Journal 59, 59 - 66, 2011
· Ohtsuka H, Terasawa S, Watanabe C, Kohiruimaki M, Mukai M, Ando T, Petrovski KR, Morris S. Effect of parity on lymphocytes in peripheral blood and colostrum of healthy holstein dairy cows. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research 74, 130-5, 2010
· Thatcher A, Petrovski KR, Fraser K. Brief communication: Influence of management techniques on the level of mastitis in an organic dairy herd. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production 70, 316-8, 2010
· Ohtsuka H, Murase Y, Ando T, Kohiruimaki M, Mukai M, Oikawa M, Petrovski K, Morris S. Effect of body condition score of the dairy cow on the in vitro immune response of peripheral blood mononuclear cells to progesterone stimulation. The Journal of veterinary medical science/the Japanese Society of Veterinary Science 71, 549-53, 2009
· Petrovski K, Heuer C, Parkinson T, Williamson N. The incidence and aetiology of clinical bovine mastitis on 14 farms in Northland, New Zealand. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 57, 109-15, 2009
· Petrovski K.R., Williamson N.B., et al. Effects of experimentally induced and treated Streptococcus uberis mastitis early in the dry period on production in the subsequent lactation. Proceeding of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production 67, 303-306, 2007
· Petrovski KR, Trajcev M, Buneski G. A review of the factors affecting the costs of bovine mastitis. Journal of the South African Veterinary Association 77, 52-60, 2006
· Petrovski KR. An acute outbreak of teat lesions affecting 38% of a dairy herd in Northland. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 53, 162-3, 2005
· Malmo J., Vermunt J.J., Parkinson T.J., Petrovski K. Mastitis. In: Parkinson T.J., Vermunt J.J., Malmo J. (eds). Diseases of cattle in Australasia. Pp 340-413. VetLearn, Wellington, New Zealand, 2010.
My professional interest include cattle health, herd health, mastitis, lactational physiology, antimicrobial chemiotherapy, antimicrobial resistance and dairy farm herd health consultancy
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 24 Jul 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/kiro.petrovski