Professor Michael Davies
|Org Unit||Robinson Research Institute|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 6845|
Helen Mayo North
Professor Michael Davies is an epidemiologist located within the Robinson Research Institute at the University of Adelaide, South Australia. He co-directs the Lifecourse and Intergenerational Health Research Group.
His research focuses on the social and biological pathways to health at different points in the life course, commencing with the question of how periconceptional and pregnancy related factors alter our health trajectories. As part of this research program, he is interested in fertility decision making and the technologies that are involved in managing fertility, including questions related to the safety and effectiveness of treatments for infertility.
His research is underpinned by a series of population based cohort studies that includes over 600,000 births for the whole of South Australia over a 27 year period. Within this are targeted studies on growth and development in early life and chronic disease, the early origins of infertility, and the safety and effectiveness of infertility treatments,
- BA, University of Adelaide, 1980
- BA (Hons), University of Adelaide, 1981
- MPH, University of Adelaide, 1994
- PhD, University of Adelaide, 2000
Awards & Achievements
- Visiting Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology University of Ottawa, Canada, March-April 2017
- .Basil Hetzel Award for Leadership in Public Health, Public Health Association of Australia (2011, jointly with Prof V Moore)
- James C Petrie Research Fellow, University of Aberdeen UK (2010)
- ARC Future Fellowship, 2010-2014
- NHMRC Research Fellow (2004-2009)
(Career Development Award in Population Health)
- Visiting Associate Professor
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
National Perinatal Statistics Unit
University of New South Wales (2007-2008)
Selected recent research funding
2018-2020 NHMRC Project Grant 147683 Why is there an increased risk of severe adverse perinatal outcomes after the use of clomiphene citrate for infertility treatment? Davies MJ, Moore VM, Stark M, Rumbold AR, Giles L Russell D, Symonds I.
2018-2022. NHMRC Project Grant 1147872 Identifying strategies to improve perinatal outcomes after assisted conception. Davies MJ, Moore VM, Giles L, Rumbold AR, Farquhar C.
2015-19 NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence 1078444,
Centre for Research Excellence in the origins, outcomes, and optimal management of PCOS Teede H, Norman R, Hart R, Handelsman D, Davies MJ, Sullivan E, McNeil J, Moran L, Rodgers R, Patton G.
2017 National Heart Foundation Vanguard Grant 2017
Congenital heart defects after assisted conception. Davies MJ.
2011-14 Davies MJ. ARC Future Fellowship FT100101018 Building child health through maternal wellbeing
2005 -2009 Davies MJ. NHMRC: 349548:
Career Development Award in Population Health. Fertility and the future: Translating new knowledge & technologies into reproductive health for Australian populations
2007-2009 Moore VM, Robinson JS, Davies MJ, Warin M, Ryan P, Worsley NHMRC Strategic Award A Healthy Start to Life for All Australians. 465437
Early life influences on obesity and fat patterning in children: critical periods, environmental determinants, and socio-cultural context.
2007-2011 NHMRC Program Grant 453556
Norman RJ, Rodgers R, Robertson SA, Thompson J, Lane M, Davies MJ, Dekker GA. Periconceptional foundations for a healthy start to life.
2007—2013 NHMRC Strategic Award 465455 A Healthy Start to Life for All Australians. Davies MJ, Moore VM, Robinson JS, Phillips D, Norman R, DeStavola B
Intergenerational growth and risk of metabolic disorders.
2007-2008 National Heart Foundation ID: G 06A 2481
Moore VM, Davies MJ, Ryan P, Robinson JS.
Consequences of women's nutrition during pregnancy for cardiovascular health of their children.
2014 HeartKids, Australia Davies MJ. Use of infertility drugs and the risk of congenital heart defects.
Journal publications since 2010
1. Adams, D., Clark, R., Davies, M., De Lacey, S. (2018). Update on: A meta-analysis of sperm donation offspring health outcomes – 2018 update. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, 1-2. doi:10.1017/S2040174418000272
2. Boulet SL, Kawwass JF, Crawford S, Davies MJ, Kissin DM. Preterm birth and small-for-gestational age in singleton in vitro fertilization births using donor oocytes. American Journal of Epidemiology. (Accepted 20/2/18)
3. March WA, Whitrow MJ, Davies MJ, ,Fernandez RC, Moore VM. Postnatal depression in a community-based study of women with polycystic ovary syndrome Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica (Accepted 13/2/18)
4. Fernandez RC, Moore VM, Van Ryswyk EM, Varcoe TJ, Rodgers RJ, March WA, Moran LJ, Avery JC, McEvoy RD, Davies MJ. Sleep disturbances in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): Prevalence, pathophysiology, impact and management strategies. Nature and Science of Sleep (Accepted 6/11/17)
5. AR, The impact of specific fertility treatments on cognitive development in childhood and adolescence: a systematic review. Human Reproduction 32(7):1489-1507 2017. VM, MJ, TK, LJ, RC, KT, MJ.
6. Adams D, , , Willson K, , de Lacey S, Scheil W, J. . The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research OnlinePubl:1-10 (10 pages) 2017
7. Davies MJ, Rumbold AR, Moore VM. Assisted reproductive technologies: A hierarchy of risks for conception, pregnancy outcomes, and treatment decisions. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease. (4):443-447 01 Aug 2017.
8. Perinatal outcomes among young Indigenous Australian mothers: a cross-sectional study. Steenkamp M; Boyle J; Kildea S, Moore V Davies M; Rumbold A. Birth 44(3):262-271 01 Sep 2017.
9. Adams DH, Clark RA, Davies MJ, DeLacey S. A meta-analysis of sperm donation offspring health outcomes. J Dev Orig Health Dis 2017;8(1):44-55.
10. , , Pool T, Rienzi L, Nagy P, Hardarson T, Sakkas D, Gardner D. Human reproduction (Oxford, England) 32(3):717-718, 2017
11. Newitt C, , . Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 56(5):543-544 01 Oct 2016.
12. , Jin M, Yu D, , , , . . Human Reproduction 31(10):2164-2173 01 Oct 2016
13. , M, Epigenetics and obesity: the reproduction of habitus through Intracellular and social environments Body and Society, 2016, Vol. 22(4) 53–78.
14. Davies MJ, Rumbold AR, Mario JL, Willson KJ, Giles LC, Whitrow MJ, Scheil WK, Moran LJ, Thompson JG, Lane M, Moore VM. Maternal factors and the risk of birth defects after IVF and ICSI. 2017 Sep;124(10):1537-1544 BJOG .
15. Davies MJ, Rumbold AR, Whitrow MJ, Willson KJ, Scheil WK, Mol BW, Moore VM. Spontaneous loss of a co-twin and the risk of birth defects after assisted conception. Journal of the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, 2016 Dec;7(6):678-684.
16. Moran LJ, Spencer L, Russell DL, Hull ML, Robertson SA, Varcoe TJ, Davies MJ, Brown HM, Rodgers RJ. Research priorities for fertility and conception research as identified by multidisciplinary health care practitioners and researchers. Nutrients 2016; 8(1):35. doi:10.3390/nu8010035.
17. Whitrow M, Moran L, Davies M, Collins C, Burrows T, Edwards S, Moore V. Core food intakes of Australian children, 9-10 years: nutrients, daily serves and quality in a community cross-sectional sample. Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics 2016 Aug;29(4):449-57. doi: 10.1111/jhn.12358.
18. Adams DH, Clark RA, Davies MJ, de Lacey S. A meta-analysis of neonatal health outcomes from oocyte donation. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease 2015;1-16. doi:10.1017/S2040174415007898.
19. Giles LC, Whitrow MJ, Davies MJ, Davies CE, Rumbold AR, Moore VM. Growth trajectories in early childhood, their relationship with antenatal and postnatal factors, and development of obesity by age 9 years: results from an Australian birth cohort study. Int J Obes. 2015; 39(7):1049-56.
20. Moran LJ, March WA, Whitrow MJ, Giles LC, Davies MJ, Moore VM . Sleep disturbances in a community-based sample of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod. 2015; 30(2):466-72.
21. Maftei, O, Whitrow MJ, Davies MJ, Giles LC, Owens JA, Moore VM. Maternal body size prior to pregnancy, gestational diabetes and weight gain. Diabetic Medicine 2015; 32(2):174-80.
22. Warin M, Moore VM, Davies MJ Ulijaszek S. Epigenetics, Obesity science and New Material Feminisms: Biohabitus and transmission. Body & Society 1357034X15590485, first published on June 29, 2015. doi:10.1177/1357034X15590485.
23. Fernandez RC, Peters S, Carey R, Davies MJ, Fritschi L. Assessment of exposure to shiftwork mechanisms in the general population: the development of a new job-exposure matrix. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2014; 71(10):723-9.
24. Chen M, Wu L, Zhao J, Wu F, Davies MJ, Wittert G, Norman R, Robker R, Heilbronn L. Altered glucose metabolism in mouse and humans conceived by in-vitro fertilization (IVF). Diabetes 2014; 63(10):3189-98.
25. Marino JL, Moore VM, Willson KJ, Rumbold AR, Whitrow MJ, Giles LC, Davies MJ. Perinatal outcomes by mode of assisted conception and sub-fertility in an Australian data linkage cohort. PLOSOne 2014; 9(1):e80398. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0080398.
26. Grzeskowiak LE, Dekker G, Rivers K, Roberts-Thomson K, Roy A, Smith B, Bowden J, Bryce R, Davies MJ, Beilby J, Wilson A, Middleton P, Ruffin R, Karnon J, Clifton VL. A randomized controlled trial to assess the clinical and cost effectiveness of a nurse-led Antenatal Asthma Management Service in South Australia (AAMS study). BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2014; 14:9. doi: 10.1186/1471-2393-14-9.
27. Steele EJ, Giles LC, Davies MJ, Moore VM Is precarious employment associated with women remaining childless until age 35 years? Results from an Australian birth cohort study. Human Reprod. 2014; 29(1):155-60.
28. Davies MJ. Mental disorders in children conceived after fertility treatment. BMJ 2013; 347 doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f5257.
29. , , , , . Psychosocial service use: a qualitative exploration from the perspective of rural Australian cancer patients. . 2013 Sep;21(9):2547-55. doi: 10.1007/s00520-013-1812-9. Epub 2013 May 2.
30. Whitrow MJ, Davies MJ, Giles LC, De Stavola BL, Owens JA, Maftei O, Moore VM. Effects of birth size, post-natal growth and current size on insulin resistance in 9-year-old children: a prospective cohort study. Eur J Pediatr. 2013; 172(9):1207-14.
31. Giles LC, Whitrow MJ, Rumbold AR, Davies CE, de Stavola B, Pitcher JB, Davies MJ, Moore VM. Growth in early life and the development of obesity by age 9 years: are there critical periods and a role for an early life stressor? International Journal of Obesity 2013; 37(4):513-9.
32. Davies MJ. Infertility treatment at the edge: Discovery and risk converge at the limits of knowledge. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2013; 98(2):89-90.
33. Lim SS , Norman RJ, Davies MJ, Moran LJ. The effect of obesity on polycystic ovary syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2013; 14(2):95-109.
34. Lim SS, Norman RJ, Davies MJ, Moran LJ. Overweight, obesity and central obesity in PCOS women: A systematic review and meta-analysis Human Reproduction Updates 2012; 18(6):618-37.
35. Davies MJ, Haan EA. Reproductive technologies: the alchemy of life. Medical Journal of Australia 2012; 197(5): 276-277.
36. Champion SL, Rumbold AR, Steele EJ, Giles LC, Davies MJ, Moore VM. Parental work schedules and child overweight and obesity. Int J Obesity 2012; 36(4):573-80.
37. Rumbold AR, Giles LC, Steele EJ, Davies CE, Davies MJ, Moore VM. The effects of house moves during infancy and early childhood on child behaviour at age 9.5 years: an Australian prospective birth cohort study. BMC Public Health 2012; 12:583. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-12-583.
38. Davies MJ, March WA, Willson KJ, Giles, LC, Moore VM. Weight and thinness at birth independently predict symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome in adulthood: a retrospective birth cohort study Human Reprod. 2012; 27(5):1475-80.
39. Davies MJ, Moore VM, Willson K, Van Essen P, Priest K, Scott H, Haan EA, Chan A. The risk of birth defects by reproductive technologies within a population cohort New England Journal of Medicine 2012; 366:1803-13. Listed in Faculty of 1000, May 2012
40. Davies MJ, Marino J, Willson KJ, March WA, Moore VM. Intergenerational associations of chronic disease and polycystic ovary syndrome. PLoS One 2011; 6(10):e25947. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0025947.
41. Steele E, Giles L, Davies MJ, Moore VM. The Life Journeys of Young Women Project: Objectives, Design, and Recruitment. Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 174(1):72-80.
42. Whitrow MJ, Willson KJ, Moore, VM, Davies MJ. Waist-to-height ratio is not a predictor of systolic blood pressure in 3 year old children. Pediatrics 2011; 159(3):501-3.
43. Giles LC, Davies MJ, Whitrow MJ, Rumbold AR, Lynch JW, Sawyer MG, Moore VM. Structured regression analyses of life course processes: An example exploring how maternal depression in early childhood affects children’s subsequent internalizing behaviour Annals of Epidemiology 2011; 21(9):654-9.
44. Warin M, Moore VM, Zivkovic T, Davies MJ. Telescoping the origins of obesity to women’s bodies: How gender inequalities are being squeezed out of Barker’s hypothesis. Annals of Human Biology 2011; 38(4):453-60.
45. Warin M, Zivkovic T, Moore VM, Davies MJ. Mothers as smoking guns: foetal overnutrition and the reproduction of obesity. Feminism and Psychology. Feminism & Psychology 2012; 22(3):360-75.
46. Giles LC Moore VM, Whitrow MJ, Warin MJ, Davies MJ. Maternal depressive symptoms during toddlerhood and child behaviour at age 5½ years: Results from an Australian prospective birth cohort study. 2011; 128(1):e78-84. doi: 10.1542/peds.2010-3119.
47. Marino J, Moore VM, Rumbold A, Davies MJ. Fertility treatments and the young women who use them: an Australian cohort study. Human Reprod. 2011; 26(2):473-9.
48. Davies MJ. Commentary: Early lessons in life: maternal education and fetal growth. International Journal of Epidemiology 2010; 39(5):1261-3.
49. Giles LC, Glonek GFV, Moore VM, Davies MJ, Luszcz MA. Lower age at menarche affects survival in older Australian women: Results from the Australian Longitudinal Study of Ageing. BMC Public Health BMC Public Health 2010; 10:341. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-10-341.
50. MAGESTIC (McLernon DJ, Harrild K, Bergh C, Davies MJ, de Neubourg D, Dumoulin JCM, Gerris J, Kremer JAM, Martikainen H, Mol BW, Norman RJ, Thurin Kjellberg A, Tiitinen A, van Montfoort APA, Van Peperstraten A, Van Royen E, Bhattacharya S) Clinical effectiveness of elective single versus double embryo transfer: results from an individual patient data meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 2010; 341:c6945. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c6945.
51. Zivkovic T, Warin M, Davies MJ, Moore VM. In the name of the child: The gendered politics of childhood obesity. Journal of Sociology 2010; 46(4):375-92.
Selected earlier publications
32. Critical period, accumulation and social mobility hypotheses: Using a regression framework to explore mothers’ partner status in early childhood and externalizing behaviours of children at 5½ years. Giles LC, Moore VM, Whitrow MJ, Sawyer MG, Lynch JW, Davies MJ. Australasian Epidemiologist 16:325-29 Dec 2009
33. Effect of supplemental folic acid in pregnancy on childhood asthma: a prospective birth cohort study. Whitrow MJ, Moore VM, Rumbold AR, Davies MJ. American Journal of Epidemiology 2009;170(12) 1486-1493.
Listed in Faculty of 1000 Biology, Nov 2009
34. The prevalence of polycystic ovary syndrome in a community sample assessed under contrasting diagnostic criteria. March WA, Moore VM, Willson KJ, Phillips DIW, Norman RJ, Davies MJ. Human Reproduction 2010;2:1:544-551.
Listed in Faculty of 1000 Medicine, Jan 2010.
35. Mahajan NN, Turnbull DA, Davies MJ, Jindall UN, Briggs NE, Taplin JE. Changes in Affect and State Anxiety across an IVF/ICSI cycle: The role of Biomedical and Sociodemographic Factors. Fertility Sterility (Feb 23 Epub ahead of print)
36. Warin M, Turner K, Moore VM, Davies MJ. Bodies, mothers and identities: rethinking obesity and BMI. Sociology of Health & Illness 2008, 30(197-111).
37. Factors and perceptions that influence women’s decisions to have a Single Embryo Transferred. de Lacey S, Davies MJ, Homan G, Briggs N, Norman RJ. Reproductive Biomedicine Online www.rbmonline.com/Article/3045 on web 26 September 2007
38. Nohr EA, Bech BH, Davies MJ, Frydenberg M, Henriksen TB, Olsen J. Prepregnancy obesity and fetal death: A study within the Danish National Birth Cohort. Obstet Gynecol 2005 Aug;106(2):250-259.
39. Moore VM, Davies MJ, Willson KJ, Worsley A, Robinson JS. Dietary composition of pregnant women is related to size of the baby at birth. Journal of Nutrition 2004 Jul;134(7):1820-1826.
40. Norman RJ, Noakes M, Wu R, Davies MJ, Moran L, Wang JX. Improving reproductive performance in overweight/obese women with effective weight management. Human Reproduction Update 2004;10(3):267-280.
41. Wang JX, Davies MJ, Norman RJ. Obesity increases the risk of spontaneous abortion during infertility treatment. Obesity Research 2002;10:551-554.
42. Moore VM, Davies MJ. Nutrition before birth, programming, and the perpetuation of social inequalities in health. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2002;11 Suppl 3:S529-536.
43. Moore VM, Davies MJ. Early life influences on later health: the role of nutrition. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2001;10(2):113-117.
44. Wang JX, Davies MJ, Norman RJ. Body mass and probability of pregnancy during assisted reproduction treatment: retrospective study. British Medical Journal 2000;321:1320-1321.
45. Slade GD, Spencer AJ, Davies MJ, Stewart JF. The influence of exposure to fluoridated water on socio-economic inequalities in children's caries experience. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 1996;24:89-100.
46. Davies MJ, Spencer AJ, Westwater A, Simmons B. Dental caries experience in Aboriginal, non‑Aboriginal Australian born and overseas born children. WHO Bulletin 1997;75:197-203.
47. Sedgwick AW, Thomas DW, Davies MJ. Relationships in men and women between change in aerobic fitness and changes in blood pressure and plasma lipids: The “Adelaide 1000”, a four year follow-up. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 1993;46:141-151.
48. Owen N, Davies MJ. Preferences for smoking cessation services: Results of a population survey. Preventive Medicine 1990;19:424-431.
49. Sedgwick AW, Thomas DW, Davies MJ, Baghurst KI. Relationship between weight change and blood lipids in men and women: The Adelaide 1000. International Journal of Obesity 1990;14:439-450.
50. Davies MJ, Norman RJ. Programming and reproductive functioning. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism 2002;13(9):386-392.
51. Davies MJ. Programming: The twin perspective. Reproduction Fertility and Development 2005;17(3):379-386.
52. Davies MJ. Evidence for effects of weight on reproduction in women. Reproductive BioMedicine Online 2006 May;12(5):552-61.
53. Moore VM, Davies MJ. Diet during pregnancy, neonatal outcomes and later health. Reproduction Fertility and Development 2005;17(3):341-348
54. Kind KL, Moore VM, Davies MJ. Diet around conception and during pregnancy – fetal and neonatal outcomes. Reproductive BioMedicine Online 2006 May;12(5):532-41.
55. Homen GE, Davies MJ, Norman RJ. The impact of lifestyle factors on reproductive performance in the general population and those undergoing infertility treatment: a review. Hum Reprod Update. 2007, 13(3)209-23
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) publications and reports
The following are official publications of the AIHW which form authoritative reference texts for clinical and policy use nationally and internationally.
Named contributor, peer reviewed:
56. Australia’s Health, 1992. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Canberra: AGPS; 1992. ISSN 1032-6138 Initial print run 4,500
57. Australia’s Health, 1994. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Canberra: AGPS; 1994. ISSN 1032-6138 Initial print run 4,500
58. Australia’s Health, 1996. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Canberra: AGPS; 1996. ISSN 1032-6138 Initial print run 4,500, plus 25,600 html downloaded copies as of Jan 2009
Australian Commonwealth Government consultancy reports
59. Spencer AJ and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare Dental Statistics and Research Unit. Policy directions for dental care for Australian adults. AIHW; 1993.
60. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Dental Statistics and Research Unit and Social and Preventive Dentistry, The University of Adelaide. A Research Database on Dental Care in Australia, Interim Report. AIHW; 1993.
61. Allister J, Brennan D, Davies M, Hoskin G, Robert-Thomson K, Spencer J, Slade G, Stewart J, Szuster F. A Research Database on Dental Care in Australia, Final Report. AIHW; 1993.
62. Carter K, Stewart J, Davies MJ, Szuster FSP, Allister J, Slade G, Spencer AJ. National dental telephone interview survey, 1994. AIHW; 1994.
63. Brennan D, Slade GD, Davies MJ, Spencer AJ. Adult dental programs survey (cross sectional), 1994. AIHW; 1994.
64. Allister J, Brennan DS, Carter KD, Davies MJ, Slade GD, Spencer AJ, Stewart JF, Szuster FSP, Thomson WM. Commonwealth Dental Health Program Baseline Evaluation Report 1994. AIHW; 1995.
65. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Dental Statistics and Research Unit. Commonwealth Dental Health Program Research Report 1. AIHW; 1995.
66. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Dental Statistics and Research Unit. Commonwealth Dental Health Program Research Report 2. AIHW; 1995.
67. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Dental Statistics and Research Unit. Commonwealth Dental Health Program Research Report 3. AIHW; 1995.
NHMRC consultancy report
68. Report to the National Health & Medical Research Council on the Adequacy of Supply of Excess ART Embryos for Research in Australia, March 2003. de Lacey S, Davies MJ, Norman RJ. Tender RTF 38/0203..
2018 Australian Science Media Centre, 2GB radio Sydney, Elevated cardiovascular risk in children born from IVF
2017 Australian Science Media Centre, reported over 80 outlets internationally, Epigenetics and Environmental Pollutants.
2016 Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) “Four Corners” IVF and perinatal outcomes
2016 Maternal age and the risk of birth defects after assisted conception. ABC radio news, Channel 9 television “Tomorrow”, Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail
2015 Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) IVF and perinatal outcomes.
2014 Safety of assisted conception. Nature
2014 Perinatal outcomes after infertility and related treatments. Interviewed by all major television channels in Australia, ABC radio, Australian, with over 400 media reports in first 24 hours.
2012 IVF and Birth defects, press release reported over 700 times in first 7 days. Personal interviews with NY Times (USA), BBC (UK), ABC News Radio (Australia), ABC ‘The Health Report” and >20 other media interviews in the first week.
2011 Vanishing twins and birth defects. ABC Radio ‘The Health Report” 15th July
2011 PCOS and parental CVD risk. ABC Radio, 5AA radio, Channel 10 Sydney, The Advertiser Adelaide, “The Conversation” Melbourne
2010 Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC). Ad hoc commentary on current topics in the media (approximately 4 times per year), plus ad hoc media requests.
2009 Maternal diet in pregnancy and adiposity in offspring. ABC Radio National
2009 Folate supplementation during pregnancy and asthma in children. Reuters Health New York, Medical Observer, AAP, The Advertiser Adelaide, ABC radio Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Sydney SAFM radio Australia, 2GB Sydney, Jiji Press Japan. Press articles in over 130 print media outlets internationally.
2009 Intergenerational health and reproduction. Channel 10 Adelaide, 5AA Adelaide, Advertiser Adelaide, Brisbane Courier Mail
2008 Folate supplementation and asthma. Channel 10 Adelaide
2007 Sex ratios among offspring of athletes. Canberra Times
2007 Surgical reversal of sterilization. Sydney Morning Herald
2006 Smoking in pregnancy and reproductive disorders in offspring. Herald Sun Sydney, Radio 2UE Sydney, Channel 10 National News, Macquarie News
2006 Secondary sex ratios and stress. Australian Science Media Centre
2005 Assisted reproduction and age. The Bulletin, Australia
2005 Risk factors for miscarriage. Sydney Morning Herald
2005 Growth before birth and PCOS in young women. BBC World Service, AAP, Reuters, New Scientist, Herald Sun
2004 Maternal diet and fetal growth. Radio 2UE, Sydney
2004 Maternal diet and fetal growth. Herald Sun, Melbourne
2004 Maternal diet and fetal growth. Dairy Australia Updates
2004 Monitoring of ART babies in the UK. Advertiser, Adelaide
2003 Obesity and pregnancy success. Sunday Telegraph, Sydney
2003 Long term birth outcomes of ART. ABC Catalyst, Sydney
2002 Stress of multiple pregnancy. The Herald Sun, Sydney
2002 Stress of multiple pregnancy. The Age, Melbourne
2002 Effects of poverty on birth size. Brisbane Courier Mail
2002 Single embryo transfer and IVF. Advertiser, Adelaide
2001 Obesity and fertility. BBC, London
1998 Social variation in dental health in Australia. Channel 10, Adelaide
1998 Fluoride and dental health. Brisbane Courier Mail
1997 Fluoride and dental health. Channel 10, Adelaide
Categories Medicine & Medical Research, Fertility & Reproduction Expertise Epidemiology, fertility, human reproduction, social structure, assisted reproduction, assisted reproduction technologies, birth defects from assisted reproduction
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Sunday, 22 Nov 2020
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/michael.davies