Dr Oliver Frank
|Position||University Senior Research Fellow|
|Org Unit||General Practice|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 3455|
Helen Mayo North
I have been in clinical general practice since 1978, and was a partner in a practice from 1988 until 2009. Exchanges of practice with English GPs in 1993-1994 in Nottingham and in 2000-2001 in Bristol allowed me to compare the British NHS with the Australian health system as a practitioner working within those systems.
My growing interest in research led me to enrol in 1998 as a part time student for a PhD, which was awarded for a thesis based on a randomised controlled trial of automated opportunistic reminders to general practitioners about preventive activities, for which I designed and conducted the trial and programmed a general practice computer system to generate the opportunistic reminders. In 2006 I started an academic career part time, with the balance of my time continuing to be spent in clinical practice. My professional and academic interests are in prevention, quality of care, informatics and health services.
I have served and continue to serve on a range of professional and government and committees and boards related to my interests in quality of care, prevention, informatics and health services.
Currently I am in clinical practice in a large group general practice in the inner north east suburbs of Adelaide on three days per week and at the University on two days per week.
Boards and Committees
Last five years
2019 Primary Care Data Quality Clinical Content Working Group, CSIRO Australian eHealth Research Centre. RACGP nominee
2018- RACGP Digital Champion
2018 South Australian Health Practitioners Tribunal
2018 Clinical Advisory Panel, MedicalDirector, vendor of clinical and administrative software for health professionals https://www.medicaldirector.com/ .
2018 Clinical & Community Advisory Group to the National Children’s Digital Health Collaborative. RACGP nominee.
2017 - 2018 Colonoscopy Clinical Care Standard Topic Working Group, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. RACGP nominee
2017 - Quality Use of Pathology Committee, Department of Health, Canberra. RACGP nominee
2017 - Clinical and Technical Board Advisory Committee, Australian Digital Health Agency
2017 Medicare Benefits Schedule Review – Telehealth and Point of Care Testing Working Group, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
2016- Executive Committee, Australasian Association of Academic Primary Care
2015 - 2017 Northern Adelaide Clinical Council, Adelaide Primary Health Network
2014 - Strategy Group, SA Cancer Service, South Australian Department of Health
2014 - 2015 Adelaide Primary Health Network System Reform Reference Group
2013 - eHealth network, RACGP National Faculty of Specific Interests
2013 - 2016 RADAR Editorial Group, NPS
2013 -2014 PCEHR Clinical Peer Advocate, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
2012 - Northern Region GP Council, Sonder
2012 - 2015 Pathology Services Advisory Committee, Commonwealth Department of Health, RACGP nominee.
2011 - 2017 National Bowel Cancer Screening Program State Reference Group, General Practice South Australia representative
2010 - Writing group, MATES quality use of medicines program, Department of Veterans’ Affairs
1987 - 2018 RACGP Expert Committee – eHealth and Practice Systems; Chair 2004
1976 MBBS, University of Adelaide
1979 Family Planning Certificate, Family Planning Association
1980 Full member, Australian Society of Hypnosis
1984 Fellow, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
2006 PhD, University of Adelaide
2012 Fellow, Australasian College of Health Informatics
Last five years
2019 Nigel Stocks, David Gonzalez-Chica, Oliver Frank, Carla de Oliveira Bernardo, Catherine Hill, Jane Andrews. Coverage of influenza, pneumococcus, and herpes zoster immunisation amongst patients with immune-mediated inflammatory conditions and use of reminders to improve vaccination rates in Australian general practice. Pfizer Independent Grant for Learning & Change, $US149,669.
2018 Ian Olver, Oliver Frank, Richard Reed, Carol Holden, Deborah Turnbull, Caroline Miller and Dan Worthley. Supporting primary care to increase participation in bowel cancer screening: a pilot study. Cancer Council SA, State Government of South Australia, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute. $140,000.
2016 Mark Harris, Nigel Stocks, Donald Nutbeam,Nicholas Zwar, Jonathan Karnon, Elizabeth Denney-Wilson, Manny Noakes,Siaw-Teng Liaw, Annie Lau, Upali Jayasinghe, Oliver Frank (Associate Investigator). Preventing chronic disease in patients with low health literacy using e-health and teamwork in primary health care. NHMRC $1,264,893.
2016 Colin Goodson, Simon Vanlint, Oliver Frank, Anthony Zimmerman, Peak Mann Mah, Parind Vora. Development of a Method of Improving the Efficiency of Care of Patients with Endocrine Problems. RACGP/Adelaide North East Division of General Practice (ANEDGP) Research Grant 2016. $19,873.
2015 Elizabeth Hoon, Oliver Frank, Tiffany Gill, Catherine Hill, Caroline Laurence. Customising pathways to self-management support for people with osteoarthritis. 2016 Arthritis Australia Project Grant: the Arthritis Australia and State/Territory Affiliate Translational Grant funded by Arthritis South Australia. $40,000.
2015 John Lynch (Chief Investigator), Oliver Frank (Associate Investigator). EMPOWER: Health Systems, Adversity and Child Well Being. NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence. $4.972 M, 2015-2020.
2014 Prof Siaw-Teng Liaw, Dr Oliver Frank, Dr Sarah Dennis, Ms Jane Taggart, Prof Grant Russell, Prof Mark Harris. E-Health Initiatives and Health Care Integration in GP Super Clinics. Australian Primary Health Care Research Insititute grant: Integrated Primary Health Care Centres research stream. $149 997.
2014 Wade VA, Frank OR, Stocks NP. Turning Recipients into Participants; A pilot study of the feasibility, acceptability and impact of introducing an online software system into a general practice to increase patient engagement with chronic disease and risk factor management. 2014 HCF Research Foundation/ RACGP Research Grant: $60,000.
2014 Vanlint S, Koczwara B, Frank OR, Emery J. Improving the bone health of cancer survivors – a pilot study of patient activation and resource provision to improve bone health management after breast and prostate cancer. 2014 RACGP/Osteoporosis Australia Bone Health Research Grant: $28,704.
- Frank OR, Stocks NP. A bowel cancer screening plan at last. Medical Journal of Australia 202(4):iii-iv Article number 180 2015 (Journal article) Author URL Publisher URL
- Young JP, Win AK, Rosty C, Flight I, Roder D, Young GP, Frank O, Suthers GK, Hewett PJ, Ruszkiewicz A, et al. Rising incidence of early-onset colorectal cancer in Australia over two decades: report and review. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 30(1):6-13 2015 (Journal article) Author URL
- Frank O, Aylward P, Stocks N. Development of pre-consultation prevention summary and reminder sheets for patients: Preliminary study of acceptability and sustainability. Australian Family Physician 43(5):310-314 2014 (Journal article) Author URL
- Westaway KP, Alderman CP, Frank OR, Husband AJ, Rowett D, Le Blanc T. Optimising therapy for patients with neuropathic pain. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research 44(1):44-47 2014 (Journal article)
- Westaway KP, Frank OR, Husband AJ, Rowet D, Rossi S, Blanc TL, Shute R. Safe use of statins in elderly people. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research 44(3):138-142 2014 (Journal article)
- Ried K, Frank O, Stocks N. Aged garlic extract reduces blood pressure in hypertensives: a dose-response trial. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 67(1):64-70 2013 (Journal article) Author URL
- Johnson D, Frank O, Pond D, Stocks N. Older people with mild cognitive impairment: their views about assessing driving safety. Australian Family Physician 42(5):317-320 2013 (Journal article) Author URL Publisher URL
- Bell J, Blacker N, LeBlanc V, Alderman C, Phillips A, Rowett D, Rossi S, Frank O, Husband A. Prescribing for older people with chronic renal impairment. Australian Family Physician 42(1):24-28 2013 (Journal article) Publisher URL
- Stocks N, Frank O. Study design of ASPirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly (ASPREE): A randomized, controlled trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials 36(2):555-564 2013 (Journal article) Author URL
- Newman L, Frank O. The rhetoric and reality of e-health: A critical assessment of the benefits of e-health in primary health care. Australian Journal of Primary Health 19(4):265-269 2013 (Journal article)
- Bell J, Mezrani C, Blacker N, Tammy L, Frank O, Alderman C, Rossi S, Rowett D, Shute R. Anticholinergic and sedative medicines Prescribing considerations for people with dementia. Australian Family Physician 41(1-2):45-49 2012 (Journal article) Publisher URL
- Ried K, Sullivan T, Fakler P, Frank O, Stocks N. Effect of cocoa on blood pressure. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012(8):1-84 Article number ARTN CD008893 2012 (Journal article) Author URL
- Frank O. Hospitals are not an appropriate setting in which to provide catch-up immunisations. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 48(12):1106-1107 2012 (Journal article)
- Stocks N, Allan J, Frank O, Williams S, Ryan P. Improving attendance for cardiovascular risk assessment in Australian general practice: an RCT of a monetary incentive for patients. BMC Family Practice 13(1):1-6 Article number ARTN 54 2012 (Journal article) Author URL
- Bell J, Blacker N, Edwards S, Frank O, Alderman C, Karan L, Husband A, Rowett D. Osteoporosis pharmacological prevention and management in older people. Australian Family Physician 41(0003):110-+ 2012 (Journal article) Author URL Publisher URL
- Frank O. A fistful of prescriptions: is there a better way?. Australian Family Physician 40(9):659-659 2011 (Journal article) Publisher URL
- Ried K, Sullivan T, Fakler P, Frank O, Stocks N. Effect of chocolate on blood pressure. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 1:1-7 2011 (Journal article)
- Frank O, Stocks N, Aylward P. Patient acceptance and perceived utility of pre-consultation prevention summaries and reminders in general practice: pilot study. BMC Family Practice 12(1):40-1-40-8 Article number ARTN 40 2011 (Journal article) Author URL
- Stocks N, Frank O, Linn A, Anderson K, Meertens S. Vertical integration of teaching in Australian general practice - a survey of regional training providers. Medical Journal of Australia 194(Suppl. 11):S75-S78 2011 (Journal article) Author URL Publisher URL
- Ried K, Frank O, Stocks N. Aged garlic extract lowers blood pressure in patients with treated but uncontrolled hypertension: A randomised controlled trial. Maturitas 67(2):144-150 2010 (Journal article) Author URL
- Reid K, Frank O, Stocks N. Chocolate and blood pressure: Chocolate dose may be too much. British Medical Journal 341(7768):318-318 Article number ARTN c4176 2010 (Journal article) Author URL
- Ried K, Sullivan T, Fakler P, Frank O, Stocks N. Does chocolate reduce blood pressure? A meta-analysis. BMC Medicine 8(39):1-11 Article number ARTN 39 2010 (Journal article) Author URL
- Ried K, Frank O, Stocks N. Dark chocolate or tomato extract for prehypertension: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 9(1):1-12 Article number ARTN 22 2009 (Journal article) Author URL
- Frank O. General and relative time in urban general practice. Medical Journal of Australia 191(2):125-125 2009 (Journal article) Author URL
- Ried K, Frank O, Stocks N, Fakler P, Sullivan T. Effect of garlic on blood pressure: A systematic review and meta-analysis.. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 8(13):1-12 Article number ARTN 13 2008 (Journal article) Author URL Publisher URL
Clinical guidelines for best practice management of acute and chronic whiplash-associated disorders. Title: Clinical guidelines for best practice management of acute and chronic whiplash-associated disorders; Authors: Cox M, Frank O, Osti O, Merlin T, Atkinson R, Jezukaitis P; Pagination: 0 pages; Publisher URL: [not entered]; DOI: [not entered]; Language: en; Source URL: [not entered]; Other output evidence: [not entered]; Author URL: [not entered] (NHMRC endorsed guideline)
Preventive activities during consultations in general practice : influences on performance. Australian Family Physician 34(6):508-512 2005 (Journal article) Publisher URL
Opportunistic electronic reminders : improving performance of preventive care in general practice. Australian Family Physician 33(1/2):87-90 2004 (Journal article) Publisher URL
Registers, recalls and reminders. Australian Family Physician 26(1):42-47 1997 (Journal article)
A guide to computer-generated prescriptions. Australian Family Physician 25(7):1162-1163 1996 (Journal article)
Preventing falls in the elderly at home: a community-based program. The Medical Journal of Australia 165(4):238 1996 (Journal article)
Capitation: a service by another name. Australian Family Physician 21(3):270-272 1992 (Journal article)
Medical reference filing systems. Australian Family Physician 20(1):57-59 1991 (Journal article)
Screening alcohol & drug use in a general practice unit: a comparison of computerised and traditional methods. Community Health Studies 13(4):471-483 1989 (Journal article)
Paracetamol for fever in children. Australian Family Physician 17(9):771 1988 (Journal article)
Media and non peer reviewed dissemination
2016 Series of monthly articles in Medical Observer “How to improve software”:
Oliver Frank. Address books need to reflect the reality of current practice. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/professional-news/how-to-improve-clinical-software. 3 Nov 2015.
Oliver Frank. Prompts would help GPs keep track of patient changes. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/prompts-would-help-gps-keep-track-of-patient-changes. 28 Jan 2016.
Oliver Frank. How to improve the recording of patient refusals. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/how-to-improve-the-recording-of-patient-refusals. 24 Feb 2016.
Oliver Frank. How to improve the recording of requested appointments. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/how-to-improve-the-recording-of-requested-appointments. 23 Mar 2016.
Oliver Frank. Lack of focus on family history is a missed opportunity for GPs. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/lack-of-focus-on-family-history-is-a-missed-opportunity-for-gps. 2 May 2016.
Oliver Frank. How to reduce risks from drug lists. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/how-to-reduce-risks-from-drug-lists. 22 Jun 2016.
Oliver Frank. A suggestion to improve the tracking of stray medicines. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/a-suggestion-to-improve-the-tracking-of-stray-medicines. 19 Jul 2016.
Oliver Frank. A little more detail could vastly improve health summaries. Medical Observer. http://www.medicalobserver.com.au/professional-news/a-little-more-detail-could-vastly-improve-health-summaries. 15 Aug 2016.
2016 The new type of leave that’s only for women. (Interview). The New Daily. 10 March 2016. Available from: http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/2016/03/10/women-given-period-leave/
2016 Safe Communication, RACGP Good Practice Issue 3 March 2016. Available from: http://www.racgp.org.au/publications/goodpractice/201603/technology-in-general-practice-safe-communication/
2016 Laying the Groundwork, RACGP Good Practice Issue 3 March 2016. Available from: http://www.racgp.org.au/publications/goodpractice/201603/racgp-foundation-laying-the-groundwork/
Prevention in primary care
Informatics in primary care
Quality of care
Categories Medicine & Medical Research, Information Management Expertise Preventive care; informatics; general medical practice; family medicine; primary health care; health services Notes General practitioner/family physician, Hillcrest, Adelaide, South Australia Mobile 0407181683 After hours 0407181683
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Sunday, 14 Jul 2019
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/oliver.frank