Dr Peter Zilm
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 5676|
|Mobile||+61 4 1208 7569|
Helen Mayo South
Biography/ BackgroundIn the early eighties, after completing an Honours degree looking at the early effects of viruses on host cells, I was employed at the Adelaide University Dental School to work on the Continuous culture of oral pathogens. This work has continued over the years and has led to my interest in understanding the physiological changes that plaque bacteria experience in response to environmental change. More recently,(PhD studies) I have been using Proteomic techniques to understand the observed physiological changes and how they occur at a molecular level. The collaboration with other research groups in Adelaide, Melbourne and overseas provides the knowledge and technology needed to increase our understanding of this fascinating area. As a member of the Periodontal repair group (Adelaide Stem Cell Centre)I am involved in the investigation of protein expression by mesenchymal stem cells derived from dental pulp and periodontal ligament. The work is aimed at regenerating periodontal tissues destroyed by advanced periodontitis.
QualificationsBSc(Hons) Flinders University
PhD. Adelaide University
Teaching Interests1st year Stream co-ordinator - General studies (2007-2009)
Course co-ordinator- BDS-Basic Aspects in Chemistry
1st year BDS - Lecturer; Human Biology
Stream Co-rdinator - 2nd year Dental and Health Science
2nd year BDS- lecturer; Biochemistry
3rd year BDS- Year coordinator
lecturer; General Microbiology
2006 – 2010: Jactty Chew. PhD
2007-2009 : Dr. Barbara Plutzer. DClin Dent (Endodontics).
2008 -2010: Dr. Aaron Seet DClin Dent (Endodontics).
2009 -2017 A/Prof Peter Cathro. (P/T) PhD
2008-2009 Seerone Anandrahjar (P/T) Honours
Last 5 years
Dashper, SG, Vieth, PD, Ang SA, Zilm PS, Reynolds EC. Applied Genomics of Some Oral Bacteria. (2008) In: Molecular Oral Microbiology ed. AH Rogers. pp 28-63. Caister Academic Press.
1. An in vitro model to measure the effect of a silver fluoride and potassium iodide treatment on the permeability of demineralised dentine to Streptococcus mutans. (2005). GM Knight, JM McIntyre, GG Craig, Mulyani, PS Zilm, NJ Gully. Aust.Dent.J. 50: (4) 242-246.
2. Differences between normal and demineralised dentine pretreated with silver fluoride and potassium iodide after an in vitro challenge by Streptococcus mutans. (2007). GM Knight, JM McIntyre, GG Craig, Mulyani, PS Zilm, NJ Gully. Aust.Dent.J. 52(1):16-21
3. An in vitro investigation of marginal dentine caries abutting composite resin and glass ionomers cement restorations. (2007). GM Knight, JM McIntyre, GG Craig, Mulyani, PS Zilm, NJ Gully. Aust.Dent.J. 52(3):187-192
4. The Proteomic profile of Fusobacterium nucleatum is regulated by growth pH. P.S. Zilm, C.J. Bagley, A. H. Rogers, I.R. Milne and N. J. Gully. Microbiology SGM. 2007, 153:148-159
5. Co-adhesion and biofilm formation by Fusobacterium nucleatum in response to growth pH. PS Zilm and AH Rogers. (2007) Anaerobe 13:146-152
6. The inability of Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus acidophilus to form a biofilm on dentine pretreated with ozone (2008). GM Knight, JM McIntyre, GG Craig, Mulyani, PS Zilm. Aust.Dent.J. 53(4):349-53
7. The effect of dietary Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on experimental periodontitis lesions in the mouse. (2008). A. Bendyk, V. Marino, PS. Zilm, P. Howe, PM. Bartold. J Perio Res 44:211-216
8. The Use of Live Animal Micro CT to Determine Inflammatory Induced Alveolar Bone Volume Changes in an in vivo Mouse Model of Periodontitis. (2009) Cantley, M. Bartold, PM. Marino, V. Reid, Wyszynski RN,R Fairlie, R. Zilm, PS. Haynes, D. J Period Res 44:317-322
9. Inability of Streptococcus mutans to from a biofilm on silver fluoride and potassium iodide treated demineralized dentine. GM Knight, JM McIntyre, GG Craig, Mulyani, PS Zilm, NJ Gully. Quint Int 2009;40:155-161
10. Proteomic assessment of mesenchymal stem cells derived from periodontal ligament, dental pulp and bone marrow. Mrozik, K. Zilm PS, Gronthos, S, Bagley, C. Hoffmann, P, Hack, S and Bartold, PM. Stem Cells Dev. (Accepted Jan. 2010)
11. Dengue virus infection induces upregulation of GRP78, which acts to chaperone viral antigen production. (2009) Wati, S. Soo,M-L. Zilm, P. Li,P. Paton,AW. Burrell,CJ. Beard,M and Carr, JM. J Virol. 83(24):12871-12880
12. Proteomic identification of novel proteinase inhibitors in the porcine enamel matrix derivative, Emdogain. PS Zilm and PM Bartold. J Perio Res Accepted July 2010.
13. The effect of growth pH on the expression of cell envelope proteins in Fusobacterium nucleatum. Zilm PS, Mira A, Bagley C, Rogers, AH. Microbiology SGM. 156:1783-1794. 2010
The International Association for Dental Research
The Australian Society for Microbiology
The Australian Proteomics Society
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic, administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide. To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone Directory are not limited to University employees. The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this policy.
Entry last updated: Thursday, 9 Aug 2018
To link to this page, please use the following URL: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/peter.zilm